1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

That last one has the right look and feel!! now I dunno about the engineering station with a chair, I always thought that they couldn't service the engines from the engine room, hence why Han always did all his repairs in the front hold :p , but the feel of the engine room is the right one! dunno about the shape of the tanks, but it definitely has that Star Wars feel. I like it.

Hi Gang,

Another early morning update! Not as many images as yesterday as I spent most of the day waiting for things to dry, setting up my 3D printer and trying to figure out these extension panel greeblie boxes! But I think we're close!

Remember this?
20170212_094024_zpsnog4otl9.jpg

I added a LOT of filler to the upper arch to help smooth out the curve
20170212_112438_zpsy4c5nonm.jpg

More primer!
20170212_112448_zpsoqaglcyu.jpg

20170212_112457_zpsfzwxj2bm.jpg

First round of sanding
20170212_112500_zpsu8ee8scw.jpg

Rarely seen view
20170212_112711_zpsuijldwir.jpg

Extension panel box braces
20170212_112738_zpslko1mueb.jpg

20170212_112748_zpsithnyyg3.jpg

On to the greeblie boxes... So I took these
20170212_113720_zpshygqgdwf.jpg

Redesigned this panel to include 3 openings
20170212_113739_zpsfbw6zs3g.jpg

HMMMMM
20170212_113851_zpswfzfh8qh.jpg

20170212_113856_zpsxbinakbb.jpg

20170212_113901_zpssyoppfp2.jpg

20170212_114011_zps0r694tyy.jpg

20170212_114324_zpsyjwt2hbv.jpg

But then I added this greeblie...
20170212_114414_zpshq2uf3id.jpg

And that gave me another idea...
20170212_114420_zpscnazikso.jpg

So..... I removed the lower greeblie, designed a new opening and...
20170212_124711_zpsuo7fcsyu.jpg

I LIKE IT!
20170212_124746_zpse1qio2dp.jpg

20170212_124808_zpsa1cdcleo.jpg

Finally got my 3D printer turned on... and then it crapped out...
20170212_131752_zpsj257osk6.jpg

Stay Tuned! More to Follow!

I like designs 1 and 3. It's fun to watch your creativity really shine! My only request is that there be a "removable" compressor. Is that what the 3D printer is for? ;)

Arduino_Star_Wars.jpg

This looks excellent! Personally I'm partial to design I and III. I feel the more organic shape for deign II is a tad more 90s than 50s-60s surplus material.

The little fastening bracket is a thing of beauty, almost too bad it won't be visible!

Thanks FF,

Trying to come up with a functional and SW styled panel has been a really tough task! Funny thing about Design II... Its actually a design taken directly from ESB. The scene is goes by so fast most people dont even seen the panel Click Link:

http://ladymanson.com/galleries/movies/MoviesRS/displayimage.php?pid=107450&fullsize=1

The little fastening bracket was a fun little project. I love the laser cutter! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Not to derail Sofa's thread too much, but I always thought this was the most likely way the freighter was meant to move cargo. It explains the offset cockpit, the oversized engines, lack of interior cargo space, and the mandibles in the front.

From Redditt....View attachment 706438

Hey P,

I believe that was Lucas' original idea for the MF. There is an early sketch from J Johnston showing arms coming out from the mandibles. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I like design III as well. Much more in tune with the overall look.:)

Thanks, J! I'm really happy with the evolution of the designs so far. Still not at a 100% solution but we're getting there!

That last one has the right look and feel!! now I dunno about the engineering station with a chair, I always thought that they couldn't service the engines from the engine room, hence why Han always did all his repairs in the front hold :p , but the feel of the engine room is the right one! dunno about the shape of the tanks, but it definitely has that Star Wars feel. I like it.

Hey BK,

Thanks so much! Sketches and real world props are vastly different. That's why the greeblie "collection" around the waste of MF changes from scale to scale. I really like the use of water heaters. If we ever to get part of the ship, its really important to find a design that not only works but is also cheap! lol

I liked the addition of the Nav Computer in the engine room. While it doesn't have to be the actual nav computer, I think a display is essential to the area.

Great updates.

With the structure mostly together, it would be cool if you could select a few good reference images from the real set, and then try to take comparison photos from the same angles so we can see your work against the original.

Also, after you figure out the Nav chairs for the cockpit, is there a chance you would build a third and work on the Nav Computer from the hold? Even if building the corridors and main hold is somewhere off in the future, I think the Nav Computer and chair as well as the Holo Chess booth would make great accessory displays for convention appearances.

SK is having waaaaay too much fun with that laser cutter! Now, a 3D printer to boot? (or not to boot, that's down to the software).... I can smell burning rubber and it aint even switched on yet!! :D

Great updates.

With the structure mostly together, it would be cool if you could select a few good reference images from the real set, and then try to take comparison photos from the same angles so we can see your work against the original.

Also, after you figure out the Nav chairs for the cockpit, is there a chance you would build a third and work on the Nav Computer from the hold? Even if building the corridors and main hold is somewhere off in the future, I think the Nav Computer and chair as well as the Holo Chess booth would make great accessory displays for convention appearances.

Hey Lt W,

A while back someone did a comparo image of the cockpit against all the OT cockpits and posted to the thread. I'll have to dig through and see if I can find it. But I'll def post some more comparo images.

I'm actually planning on building 3 nav chairs. The 3rd will be for that exact part of the ship - the nav computer! I'm really looking forward to getting started on that project! The original designers also used parts of the Martin Baker ejection seat for the quad station seats as well. So technically... I need to create 5 seats!

- - - Updated - - -

SK is having waaaaay too much fun with that laser cutter! Now, a 3D printer to boot? (or not to boot, that's down to the software).... I can smell burning rubber and it aint even switched on yet!! :D

Oh Yeah! I love that thing! Now if I can find the same love for the 3D printer. Sadly, it's just a tiny little guy but Daniel is building a larger 12x18x12 (approx) printer so we'll be able to do much larger prints! That's going to be fun!

Hey BK,

Thanks so much! Sketches and real world props are vastly different. That's why the greeblie "collection" around the waste of MF changes from scale to scale. I really like the use of water heaters. If we ever to get part of the ship, its really important to find a design that not only works but is also cheap! lol

I liked the addition of the Nav Computer in the engine room. While it doesn't have to be the actual nav computer, I think a display is essential to the area.

Water heaters give it a sense of size and sturdiness and "used universe" that is classic Star Wars, I would suggest start with water heaters and lean towards making them look like nuclear reactors (with greeblies), or maybe take a page out of electrical parts: rotors or stators could make it seem more "electric" adding those parts to the water heaters. I'm quite intrigue by this part of the Falcon, drawing up some sketches too, not up to your standards, but trying to figure out what feels right.

A display in the area looks great, I have my reservations because of what I already said, but besides that every engine room should have some station to check on it.

Water heaters give it a sense of size and sturdiness and "used universe" that is classic Star Wars, I would suggest start with water heaters and lean towards making them look like nuclear reactors (with greeblies), or maybe take a page out of electrical parts: rotors or stators could make it seem more "electric" adding those parts to the water heaters. I'm quite intrigue by this part of the Falcon, drawing up some sketches too, not up to your standards, but trying to figure out what feels right.

A display in the area looks great, I have my reservations because of what I already said, but besides that every engine room should have some station to check on it.

Hey BK,

That is the exact idea! Start with a basic shape(s) then build up the greeblies to create the familiar used universe we all know and love - I hope we get to that point!

I think an engine computer / console in that area is necessary. As I've said, it doesn't have to match the nav computer, but coming the "CEC" it would make sense to carry over the same style and design but the layout and greeblies would DEF be different! The best thing about the SW universe is the total randomness and oddly placed / looking greeblies. There was so much time and effort put into these props but most just overlook them - they literally blend in with the background.

Hi sofa,
I just wanted to tell you how INCREDIBLY awesome your work is and that I'm a bit jealous actually, because I just do some - not even moving - graphics, as I can't do any better at the moment;). But as you may see, I quoted your post regarding the engine of the Falcon and I had an idea what style your engine tanks (?) could have. So I started my PS4 and made some Screenshots of STAR WARS Battlefront as there are some "barrels" that look like a star wars version of your design. Maybe it helps you finding the perfect design for the Falcon engines :)

If you need more screenshots or some specific detail shots, just tell me and I'll make them for you:)

Good luck with your project and keep up working on your stunning piece of art

JonnieLP

Hi Gang,

It was a VERY productive weekend! Unfortunately, my computer crashed (HARD) so I'm unable to upload the 100+ photos from this long weekends adventures! I should have my PC back this afternoon.

Stay Tuned! Lots of updates coming! :)

Ahhhh sofa that's a worse update than no update at all talk about dangle the line.

Also on a side note I work in caravan spares and the amount of spare parts for boilers etc I see that I can't help but feel look and feel right for this project is mad.

Loosebruce

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back