Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1 (will resume shortly)

Canobi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Good cycle programs and users, welcome to the Grid :)

It's been a long and frustrating road, but I'm finally at a point I can put this build thread up.

Here is a couple of the exploded views of the plans for how disc one will be put together:

91163081.jpg

016b6663.jpg

83944154.jpg

After a big let down and some thorough searching for an alternative to get the parts machined

Ta da!

I proudly present the masters for Disc one (pics supplied by factory):

07e4989a.jpg

4bce0bdc.jpg

f7b7b837.jpg

These will be in my hands sometime next week, which should coincide with the RTV silicone I'll be ordering with the remainder of my budget.

I have most of the items I need to make a working prototype once I've cast the top shell and lens, but the holder attachment for the back plate is still being ironed out, so the prototype wont have one (for now).

More soon.....

Last edited:
Re: Tron Discography build thread - Disc #1

Mark me down for one. The masters look awesome. Why didn't MR do this? Waste of the Disney license!

Are you gonna do the legacy hero thrower? Or the back hanger version?

Subscribing.

Mark me down for one. The masters look awesome. Why didn't MR do this? Waste of the Disney license!

Are you gonna do the legacy hero thrower? Or the back hanger version?

Subscribing.

Thanks for the compliment :)

It's a team effort between myself, and two other members, Davlin and TheMuffin.

So far I have 3D files for most of the discs types. My idea was to make them as though you were on the Grid (all lit up in other words) without the real world bits ruining the effect. as such, anything needed (like switches and magnets) will be hidden or "stealthy".

I hadn't considered a throw-able version of the legacy disc, They were going to be back hangers, but I did have durability in mind when designing them. All the shells are 3mm thick, and the blades have a interlocking system they share with the shells (to swap blade types), so I don't see why it couldn't be thrown if there were no electronics inside. The only concern I'd have is with the blade, I personally can't get clear polyurethane rubber in the UK. I've tried several company's but got no reply to any requests or emails, so I might be using a hard resin substitute. That's all in the future though, so I'm hoping I can come up with a solution before I get to them.

I didnt mean to actually throw...

There were different props in the movie. The back hanger ones didn't have the light Blade.

The one that zuess gives to clu is a thrower minus the blade... You can see inside it... But the normal back hangers only had the center ring.

I didnt mean to actually throw...

There were different props in the movie. The back hanger ones didn't have the light Blade.

The one that zuess gives to clu is a thrower minus the blade... You can see inside it... But the normal back hangers only had the center ring.

:lol got ya :lol

I'm going to make both blade types, battle ready (extended blade), and standby mode (blade retracted). They have been designed to be swapable and will include the data transfer bits so they light up too (they are white on the Spinmaster vesion).

Battle blade
57f25ad7.jpg

Standby
5d43f93f.jpg

Proper CNC'd disc holders for costumes and display units for the discs are also in the pipeline.

Last edited:

Hi all

Going to try xrobots trick and use roto resin for the white bands. I'm making a centrifuge that will spin the top mould (supported to stop deformation) like a potters wheel. I should get nice clean lines, and it'll keep the resin in the band sections. I'm making it adjustable so I can keep it tilted at the correct angle as I do each band. Well that's the plan anyway. Painting the white bands just doesn't sound like a long term solution as there is a chance that it will rub or chip off over time.

My god... the metal version of it... just... wai a minu e, ha to ge my jaw off he floo . ;)

I'd suscribe to this thread if I wasn't already involved ! Really excited by this metal master. Can't wait to see a lit up version of it. ^_^

My god... the metal version of it... just... wai a minu e, ha to ge my jaw off he floo . ;)

I'd suscribe to this thread if I wasn't already involved ! Really excited by this metal master. Can't wait to see a lit up version of it. ^_^

I know, isn't it gorgeous. You should be proud Davlin, you helped make it a reality :thumbsup

Y'know, I keep looking at it and thinking Steampunk Legacy disc.

Hi all

The parts and silicone arrived today (wooo!). The disc parts are amazing up close and all the details are present, I couldn't be happier with them.

Unfortunately I have to fix the degassing chamber (or replace it with a cost effective alternative that I have lined up just incase), which I shall do on payday. Sorry for the extra wait everyone but funds are extremely tight at the moment.

I will be prepping everything in readiness for then, so as soon as the chamber is fixed or replaced I can get on with things. I'll also aquire a small amount of roto casting resin and enough DSM sinolite (cures with a blue tint) to cast the lens and main body.

*edit for repeated comments* oops:behave

I'll post pics of the process as get to them :thumbsup

More soon.....

Last edited:

Now that I see the master, I'm super excited. this will be well worth the wait. I can't wait to see the proto.

Thanks for the kind words everyone:)

I did a test fit with the parts earlier today and it was tight. I didn't want to screw up at this point so didn't push the lens all the way in. Once these are cast and put together, the lens and top shell will be inseperable without glue.

More soon....

Hi all

I have a couple of things I need to tell you and get your opinions on in regards to the Gibson and legacy discs, but in order to keep this thread on topic I'm going to open the intrest thread back up for discussions about the later discs.

See you there :thumbsup

Hi all

I have some free time coming up this afternoon so I'm going to see if I can make the mould for the disc body. The info that came with the silicone states that it can be used without a degassing system so I'll get on it. I've just gotta finish the reusable mould box I'm making first and then I can start. I'll take pics or make a vid and post them up.

More soon....

Hi all (if your still there :confused)

Totaly screwed up the wood for the reusable mould box, so I knocked up a disposable one instead using sintra:

f80ff437.jpg

Going to add some non drying clay to the corners/edges and undercut on the disc, but I gotta go into town in the morning. Once I'm back I'll mix up a batch of silicone and get pouring. I definately don't have enough silicone for both halves or the lens, so I'll order some more on Thursday (payday) along with the resins I'm going to need.

There was me thinking 2kg would be enough, just wish there was some kind of size referance with the pics so it's easier to judge quickly if it's going to be enough. The 2kg kit is a whole lot smaller than it looks on screen damnit :lol

Please check out the interest thread to see some of the things in line for the other discs, thanks :thumbsup

More soon.....

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back