Terminator Kyle Reese's Plasma rifle (Valmet M82A). Anyone make a replica of it?

Kyle's valmet looks like it has 2 x pana vue 2's stuck together to get the length and then some custom end that narrows down so that the sight can be attached. Wish we had better photos of this...

2wok96c.jpg

Every time I look at the scope I can't help thinking it's just a plastic bottle of some sort (Motor oil, talcum powder, detergent) with some greeblies added on top...

Agreed, it looks just like a quart of motor oil. Most modern oil bottles have an offset neck but there's this:

atm_300.jpg

Maybe back in the 70s/80s they hadn't yet gotten hip to the offset.

The front is the objective lens end from a rifle scope, held in place by a scope ring mounted to the front sight post, which was removed from the barrel and attached to an angled piece of metal and then bolted to the receiver. Nick Daring's first picture above is very helpful. (And I'm sure this is well-trod ground.)

Hmm, seems that there was some other scope discussion already...

http://www.therpf.com/f24/t1-terminator-resistance-soldier-131033/

Dang it, you guys, I have things to do and I can't spend the next two days trying to find just the right bottle. And yet, I know what I'll be doing for the next two days... ;)

Dang it, you guys, I have things to do and I can't spend the next two days trying to find just the right bottle. And yet, I know what I'll be doing for the next two days... ;)

On behalf of all concerned, I thank you in advance for the research. REP to you when I can.

:cool:thumbsup

It'd probably just be easier to fabricate one from scratch than measure a thousand bottle tops.

Yeah, but I'm a better looker than a builder. Besides, four words: Bespin ice cream maker. :)

I saw a promising square bottle on Shutterstock last night but of course I can't find it today. Problem was it was too square, and it was just a stock photo with no label.

Last edited:
I made some interesting discoveries this evening, the most shocking of which is: I don't own The Terminator on DVD or Blu-ray.

I did some streaming on Netflix and I think Kyle's scope does have an offset neck, but it appears to be about 3/4 the width of a standard quart oil bottle. (Good top view of it when he's going down the stairs to enter the bunker.) But from the front, when he fires at the Franconator, the lens looks more centered. Once my DVD copy comes in, I can grab some frames.

OK, gents. Here's a montage of the best grabs I could get from the SE DVD. (I have no Blu-ray grab capability.) I'm off the oil bottle idea; based on previous comments, I'm leaning toward slide viewer.

So I guess, in the words of George Costanza, "That's it for me!"

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back