Necronomicon from the new EVIL DEAD movie

ob1al

Sr Member
It looks like a fairly easy cover to replicate:

ScreenShot2012-10-24at234118.png

I don't like the design as much as the classic ED Necronomicon books - the design from 2 being my favourite.

That said, the book has had a different design in every ED movie so it's sticking with tradition, from a certain point of view.

It looks like this is indeed the front. I don't think there will be a face on the back either, unfortunately.

If what I read is true about the books copyrights and their holder, maybe they could not use a book with a face?

But to not have a face on the book is like making the General Lee a Datsun and the Millennium Falcon a peddle car. Just not right. :sick

Avolow.

Well, they have said they are trying to distance the movie somewhat from the originals, and changing the look of the book is a pretty good way to do that.

As for the book, it certainly does look like it would be pretty easy to replicate. The trailer also has some decent shots of some inside pages.

If what I read is true about the books copyrights and their holder, maybe they could not use a book with a face?

But to not have a face on the book is like making the General Lee a Datsun and the Millennium Falcon a peddle car. Just not right. :sick

Avolow.

That can't be right, They was able to use the book in Evil Dead three and that was diffrent but still had a face.

Well, they have said they are trying to distance the movie somewhat from the originals, and changing the look of the book is a pretty good way to do that.

As for the book, it certainly does look like it would be pretty easy to replicate. The trailer also has some decent shots of some inside pages.

After seeing the trailer it looks just like a remake of the old movies

Copy of the original cabin : Check
POV of Monster running in the wood : Check
Load and loads of blood :Check
Chainsaw: Check
Copy of basement :Check
Tree rape: Check

Yea, the only thing it appears to be missing is what made the original movies so good: comedy. Thumbs down to the new one until I see evidence that it's not just another horror movie.

wow Al, was it desgined by the same guy who designed the new robocop? LMAO!!! but as you say, looks and easy enough prop to make.

Yea, the only thing it appears to be missing is what made the original movies so good: comedy. Thumbs down to the new one until I see evidence that it's not just another horror movie.

??? This is a remake of the first Evil Dead. If there were any traces of comedy in the original, it wasn't intentional. Evil Dead 2 was when the dark comedy came in, Army of Darkness was straight up hokey slap stick. The comedy element has no place in this remake.

From what I've seen so far, this remake is actually looking pretty promising, which I never thought I'd find myself saying. The director's decision to not use any CGI at all really made me happy. And the fact that Raimi is so involved is great.

Also, to me, it looks like it could possibly be the back of the book we see in that screenshot, it's kind of hard to tell with it lying in the grass like that. I really hope that isn't the front, because it's pretty bland. But looking at it, it looks like the book's spine is on the right.

Crap. Well that sucks.

EDIT: Yeah, you're right. Just watched the trailer again, I didn't catch that the first time. BOOOOOOOOOOOO

I think that's the reasoning behind it - the face is great and an integral part of the original ED mythos, but judging by the trailer this is a straight-up horror film without the tongue in cheek cheesiness of the originals - and I include ED 1 in that to a certain degree. The original ED doesn't have the all-out dark comedy of 2 or the slap-stick of 3, but it still has a certain hokey vibe about it which makes it a video nasty classic and a stand-out low-budget horror film of it's generation.

You can't reheat a soufflé, the originals are what they are and can't be 'topped' because they are so firmly established in the genre, not to mention pop culture history.

Despite these points and my initial disappointment about the redesign of the Necronomicon, I'm looking forward to the remake. Sam and Bruce are producing, that's very promising. The trailer looks pretty good, some creepy moments. Again, it all looks promising.

The trick with the remake is can they make the characters LIKEABLE. Even in the original, I didn't hate anybody in the cast and a problem with horror remakes is that they try to make the characters as unlikeable or unpleasant as possible, either for (and I say this with the largest possible quotation marks) "realism" or so that we want to see them get butchered, and gore effects do not a good movie make. In the end, incredible special effects are only something pretty to look at - a good story and good characters is what makes a movie GOOD.

I think that's the reasoning behind it - the face is great and an integral part of the original ED mythos, but judging by the trailer this is a straight-up horror film without the tongue in cheek cheesiness of the originals - and I include ED 1 in that to a certain degree. The original ED doesn't have the all-out dark comedy of 2 or the slap-stick of 3, but it still has a certain hokey vibe about it which makes it a video nasty classic and a stand-out low-budget horror film of it's generation.

You can't reheat a soufflé, the originals are what they are and can't be 'topped' because they are so firmly established in the genre, not to mention pop culture history.

Despite these points and my initial disappointment about the redesign of the Necronomicon, I'm looking forward to the remake. Sam and Bruce are producing, that's very promising. The trailer looks pretty good, some creepy moments. Again, it all looks promising.

Spot on. :thumbsup

Sorry, it is going to be stupid easy to replicate the binding of this book. That said I think it was a poor choice because no effort was put into its binding. As for the pages... The few I have seen don't look that "special", almost as if they were copied from some foreign RPG rulebook.

They made the General Lee a Honda. :thumbsdown

The rest of the movie trailer looks GREAT. I will most definitely be at the theater to see this one when it comes out, I just think the book will be the biggest thing that makes me cringe.

Avolow.

I think it needs a face as right now it looks a little bland. It doesn't have to be THE face but I think it needs A face.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back