Jack Sparrow Pistol Build-up PoTC

Mutant-Enemy

Sr Member
JacksPistol.jpg

It was suggested to me today that with the advent of the new movie there may be an interest in seeing this build-up that I had commissioned a while ago and posted on my old web-site.
This would become a fully functional, .50 Caliber, flintlock pistol and the most accurate I've ever seen made.
So, without further ado, here are the pics of the process that went into replicating The "Sparrow"-
Jack Sparrow's Flintlock pistol...enjoy!

originaland130percent.jpg

50and58calbbls667.jpg

smallsilerheld656.jpg

58calbblandwalnutstockblank659.jpg

BarrelCompare.jpg

PistilWorkstock.jpg

PistolWork3.jpg

PistolWorklockinletting.jpg

PistolWork21.jpg

PistolWork10.jpg

PistilWorkFIN.jpg

June24TriggerInlet685.jpg

June24overview696.jpg

June24overview695.jpg

June24TGinlet694.jpg

SUNDAY12thimbles.jpg

tanginlet705.jpg

SUNDAY12sideplate.jpg

sideplateinlay.jpg

MountingButtCap.jpg

thimbles2-1.jpg

ButtcapInlay.jpg

Startingtheengraving.jpg

MOREBarrelLines.jpg

BarrelLines.jpg

LockEngraved.jpg

BarrelEngraveFIN.jpg

engravingFIN.jpg

CloseUpLock.jpg

Closeup2.jpg

ALLengravingFIN.jpg

SparrowNewest1.jpg

SparrowNewest2.jpg

SparrowNewest4.jpg

SparrowNewest3.jpg

FIN.jpg

PistolFIN2.jpg

PistolFIN6Resize.jpg

PistolHere2.jpg

PistolHere4.jpg

PistolFIN-1.jpg

Why would we be interested in seeing a completely and utterly amazing build? ;)

WOW! Thait is just....WOW!

Thanks guys!
It really was a special build.
I had first inquired with the fellow (pm me for his name and company) simply to ask him if he could identify the model of the pistol even though we knew the maker was Perry London.
One thing led to another and the guy got so enthused about the details we were discovering that he ended up asking me if he could build it. Which was unusual because he quite normally only builds for himself and family.
I seem to recall it took just under four months to complete.

SWEET!!

Thanks for posting these Mutant-Enemy.
:cry :cry :cry
I promised myself I wouldn't cry.........

Good to see The Sparrow again.
I still say she's the most beautiful replica
of anything EVER!!!

Shylaah

Remember when Batman picks up Jack Napier, and he get's that look on his face and says 'Jeeezzussss!!"

Those photos made me do that . . . .

Coolest thing I've seen here in a long, long, LONG time.

In fact - probably in the top 10 -if not top five - coolest props I've seen here.

Only one critique - the finish on the wood... Was it left dull to accept oils from handling?

Last edited:
Bravo, bravo...

I am speechless. I just spent the weekend with Marty from PotC and the Lake Erie Pirate Group. They would love this.

An excellent piece of art.

Best,
DBCooper

Thanks again guys!
PH-Not sure about the answer to your question, here's what I know:
I originally commissioned the piece as a kit that I would have to assemble myself because of certain limitations the builder said he was beholden to.
The more I spoke with him however the more interested he seemed to become in building it up for me and we finally agreed on a "loop-hole" so that he could still mail it to me under the ospices of it not being "complete" to satisfy certain state and federal regulations.
So, it was decided I was purchasing what he called,
"A pistol in the white", which means: It's fully functional, it's just not stained.
Something else is the fact that this really should have been done in Ebony but he didn't have any in stock so I believe he went with an English Oak of some kind.
The final surprise was, when I received it, it was complete with stain and everything! I guess it was a good thing I had told the builder that I wasn't looking forward to having to dismantle the whole thing so I could stain it correctly.
On the stain: I have alway's heard that wood workers of any stripe prefer a simple oil based stain/finish on most woods to bring out their natural grains.
I'm also pretty sure that he was of the same mind as myself...a glossy finish on this pistol just wouldn't look right.
Thanks for all the interest!

I wonder if the screen used pistol was intentionally "glossy" so that it would show up on camera better.

As I understand it, they purchased an antique boxed set of pistols for J.D. to use in the movie. Flintlock pistols were quite commonly made and sold in Boxed Sets.
The only times we saw the real deal was when it had to fire.
The rest of the time it was a rubber or plastic stunt copy for safety.
The second and third pic in this thread is a MR Pistol and had to be sized up, as MR tends to make thing about 10% smaller than they actually are.

If you don't mind me asking wasn't there a similar item produced by a fellow Jack over on Keep To The Code but he ended up selling it? This was about 1 1/2 -2 years ago. The pics look familiar.

What was the total cost for the custom build if you don't mind me asking? And is your builder thinking about putting together a kit?

Thanks again guys!
Jack_savvy- You are ofcourse reffering to that delictible GODLIKE figure of a man "Mr. Smith" or "Smithy if you like" and yes...
This is the same pistol. (and actually it was about seven months ago)
The parade of egos at KTTC was simply too much to bare...
PM me for details on "The Sparrow"...some of you already have them(OY!):lol

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back