Han Solo in Carbonite finish colors?...What'd you use?

darthwhitey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Just priming my Han in Carbonite now.

For those of you that have tackled this project (and lived to tell about it) could you please post what brands and colors of FINISH paint you used?

I'm assuming the whole thing gets a "base" color then some washes are used?

Just trying to accurately replicate the screen used color scheme.

thanks!

brad

RPF member "Reel Fakes" used Krylon Stainless Steel on the box and Tamiya Gloss Aluminum on the Han front panel, following up with black acrylic washes as needed.

I always kinda thought the whole thing was one color?

I need to rewatch the movies again. Does anyone have any big killer pics that specifically show the HIC color really well?

thanks!

brad

I also thought it was all one colour, with just weathering making the outer frame look darker. I've not seen it in person though, just photos.

Keith.

VOS listed his paints in his thread.

Great idea!

Here's what VOS initially did...

I had a standard cellulose automotive base coat decanted into rattle cans with 15% matting agent added. I went for 'Rover Storm Grey' and lightly dusted 'Toyota Silver Lightning' over the Han section. Then lightly weathered with Grate Polish.

...on his second attempt he changed it up and was happier with the result..

For the block...Vauxhall Mistral Grey basecoat (15% matt), dusted with Daewoo Stone Silver, washed with black acrylic. For the Han section....Daewoo Stone Silver (15% matt) washed with black acrylic....The control panels are Daewoo Stone Silver with aluminium inserts.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to get those colors in the USA?

I've got my paint down and ready to weather!

It seems most people use a black acrylic "wash"...any reason for acrylic and not oil?

thanks

brad

Man, finding colors for this thing is daunting! :confused

There are SOOOO many pics with differrent lighting that it's very hard to nail down the color.

Plus, it seems that the HIC's floating around on display look slightly different from what was used, especially in ESB.

If you base the color scheme on what was used in ESB it's two different colors. The outer "box" is much darker, while the "Han panel" is more of a muted grey/silver.

It's funny, I always had it in my head it was one color, so it's hard to picture it as two colors. :love

I'm re-painting my HIC now, and I think I'm onto colors that look pretty good. More updates to come.

brad

Just finished my repaint. This thing is SOOO hard to get right.

I sprayed the whole thing with Tamiya Light Gun Metal (TS-42) then taped off the box and hit the Han panel with a mist of Tamiya Aluminum Silver (TS-17)

**The first time I painted it I used the Alum Silver on the Han panel but it was just seemed too shiny and silvery.

Then I weathered the whole thing with a black acrylic wash, heavier on the box and lighter on the Han panel.

It seems to be easy to over weather this prop. I'm pretty happy with these new results.

HTH,

brad

Very very nice!!! I had trouble with my colors as well; I'm going to repaint mine and I really like the way yours turned out.

I've asked this question before, but how did you mount yours to the wall?

Very very nice!!! I had trouble with my colors as well; I'm going to repaint mine and I really like the way yours turned out.

I've asked this question before, but how did you mount yours to the wall?

Toothboy,

I used what's called a "french cleat." They can be made out of wood, but this one is metal and rated to 200 lbs.

**A good basic video here on how a french cleat works...

YouTube - French Cleat

I found it at Home Depot, it's called the OOK Hangman.

OOK Hangman 200 lb. French Cleat Picture Hanger with Wall Dog Mounting Screws (13-Piece Pack) - 55316 at The Home Depot

Worked great, and my HIC has to weigh at least 150lbs. You mount one piece to the wall into the studs at 16" apart, then you mount the other part on the HIC.

The HIC then fits down onto the support cleat that's attached to the wall. The only way the HIC can come off the wall is by lifting it up first, then taking it down.

For backup, I also mounted a 2x2" piece of lumber about 18" long under the bottom of the HIC, you can't see it at all unless you get down really low. It helps take any pressure off the french cleat.

The HIC sits about 1/4" away from the wall and you have no idea how it's hanging there. :love

PM me if you need more info or pics.

HTH

brad

I am at this point now with painting Box Brad and then the Han panel. What did you use for Control panels? did you repaint them? how did you fasten control panels to Box?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back