clarification - 10th sonic DW 50th

mfxreplicas

Official Licensee
The 10th Doctor's sonic screwdrivers used in the 50th are MFXreplicas. Filming requires multiple props to be on standby so four props, from my personal collection, where loaned to the props department for the duration of the filming. These four were from the original LE run of 500 and not new builds. The four props where returned to me after filming.

Thanks for the clarification. I was starting to wonder if the production team went out and bought second hand MFX sonics off of fans. Always good to have color added to the situation.

-Nick

Interesting stuff!

Always good to have color added to the situation.

Is this a reference to the heritage gold issue? :p

With the known accuracy issues, why were these at least not painted the more recognisable off-grey crackle colour?

Also, it seems to be a bit of a strange call for the BBC to officially license the Wand Company to create an extremely good sonic replica, faithful to the original prop, and have its release pretty much coincide with the 50th, to then have a sonic which looks nothing like the replica or the original prop in the celebration. Doesn't seem very fair.

Last edited:
The 10th Doctor's sonic screwdrivers used in the 50th are MFXreplicas. Filming requires multiple props to be on standby so four props, from my personal collection, where loaned to the props department for the duration of the filming. These four were from the original LE run of 500 and not new builds. The four props where returned to me after filming.

Awesome info, and thanks!

That makes the MFx sonics 100% screen accurate!! whoohoo!!!

I have enjoyed my MFX since I got it. Always thought it was pretty accurate but this is good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Is this a reference to the heritage gold issue? :p

Haha! No...just some corporate speak that has found a way into my daily language.

With the known accuracy issues, why were these at least not painted the more recognisable off-grey crackle color?

Note that he says they were returned to him after filming. It would seem rude to lend things to people and have them come back completely re-jiggered. I'm sure the BBC just wanted to return them in as similar a condition as they received them.

-Nick

Note that he says they were returned to him after filming. It would seem rude to lend things to people and have them come back completely re-jiggered. I'm sure the BBC just wanted to return them in as similar a condition as they received them.

-Nick

Absolutely true- it would be rather inconsiderate to repaint them without his knowledge. Needs must and all that. Just seems strange when there are other excellent options out there... I'm also surprised they needed 4 props on rotation for a single episode anniversary special, when as far as my knowledge extends they didn't need, or have, that many available during the entirety of the Eccleston/Tennant era!

I'm also surprised they needed 4 props on rotation for a single episode anniversary special, when as far as my knowledge extends they didn't need, or have, that many available during the entirety of the Eccleston/Tennant era!

From what I've heard, they used to keep around 4 on set in the Tennant days. I swear I used to have a picture of them all on set, but my Doctor Who folder on my computer has seen better days organizationally. :lol

It's always better to have more than you need and if one gets damaged or destroyed, it's better to just be able to put another one in the actor's hands than it is to halt all filming to fix the thing. And if you don't need all of the backups, then it's no problem. But it's better to have them ready to go than not have them at all.

-Nick

With the known accuracy issues, why were these at least not painted the more recognisable off-grey crackle colour?

With it being the 50th and all they must have run short on time and been forced to miss the pre-production meeting meant to address the concerns of how using these props could impact the Sonic replica collecting community :p.

My guess is that since Neil works there any way and had four (finished and consistent) props on hand they could avoid having to make or repaint the 10th Sonics for this one show. Likely just one less job they had to do for the show so they could put time towards working on something else.

On the up side, it is pretty cool that the actual props used in the 50th anniversary are stock and from the same production run as the MFX's. Collectors can own the same prop used from the same maker. It was already a pretty cool piece to have in a Sonic collection, this makes it 100% screen accurate. Hard to beat from a collecting standpoint.

Last edited:
What Phez said! They had previously also been used for some publicity shots back in David's era and also in some displays in exhibitions so using them is nothing new for the production.
This was filmed early this year. Not sure the wand folk even had one ready by then. BBCWW don't Interfere with or dictate any aspect of production decision making. Wholly different entities.

Does anyone have any of the publicity photos Neil said had the MFX in them? I wouldn't mind seeing them, just out of interest.

I've no idea which images. All I know is props where being used elsewhere (probably for pick up shots with a hand double in Cardiff) and stills where being shot in London (stills can happen anywhere so if an actor is in London they set up the still shoot at their convenience) and they needed another sonic so I got asked to send one.

Anyway my point being that no one at the BBC, at any level and in any department, has ever had an issue with these replicas contrary to what has been suggested by certain people with an agenda and an axe to grind. With original props in short supply it made sense for them to use the MFXreplicas. Cue the conspiracy theorists suggesting shady underhanded deals and my destroying original props in order to elevate the replica or some other nonsense - the reality was very mundane;

Me: I still have a few sonics if you need any?
PRODUCTION: Great, can we borrow them?
ME: Yup!

So I'm now simply getting in the clarification of the facts and truth of the matter for MFX owners, and any other interested parties, before the mud slinging, propaganda, lies and vitriol starts in earnest. :)

Last edited:
Anyway my point being that no one at the BBC, at any level and in any department, has ever had an issue with these replicas contrary to what has been suggested by certain people with an agenda and an axe to grind.

I have to be honest- I think that reflects more badly on the BBC than it reflects well on the replica... the Wand Company sonic is the official nail in the coffin, highlighting the manifold inaccuracies. That's not even to mention the product which I presume is being alluded to by the reference to 'certain people', which although whose accuracy was hardly in doubt up until this point, has been thoroughly vindicated by the Wand Company release, and official photos of the Tennant owned last surviving prop.

I am inclined to agree with what others have said- the screw-up has finally offered the opportunity for screen accuracy and that has been highlighted. Not saying I blame you, this is the best defence of the MFX sonic...

Last edited:
Guys, let's try not to turn this into a "Sonic Screwdriver thread." Please. MFX came to clarify, that's awesome. Let's not go chasing him away with the same discussion that has happened many times before.

Relax, it's just a chunk of metal. Whether or not it resembles previous chunks of metal is irrelevant. Props are never consistent, MFX's sonic being used on the show just adds another "official" variant. Let's leave it at that.

-Nick

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back