Subscribe
    From
    Michigan
    Jan 30, 2006, 12:38 PM - #1

I got this Orb of Thesulah made by Factory X last week. I like it, but there is a slight problem. The orb doesn't fit down low enough to put the cover on the container. Under the purple cloth I think is a piece of styrofoam to hold the orb in place. I probably could fix this myself but I was curious if anyone else got one of these yet and had a similar problem.

From
    Ohio Valley, Kentucky.
    Jan 30, 2006, 2:19 PM - #2

How is it seen in the show?
    From
    Michigan
    Jan 30, 2006, 5:04 PM - #3

Not sure. But I'm pretty sure it's meant to be able to be covered. Especially seeing how low it sits in the box photo.
    From
    Fishkill, NY
    Jan 30, 2006, 7:05 PM - #4

Unfortunately, thats the way its meant to be displayed... I've heard of afew people who carefully take out the liner and cut down the styrofoam to accomodate the orb, but when this happens, the display doesn't look as great.. Its a personal preference
  5. Six Demon Baggage RPF Premium Member moffeaton's Avatar
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Jan 30, 2006, 7:15 PM - #5

The orb should sit firther down, yeah. Is the inner lid domed (it should be)? I made the damn thing, lol.... still don't have a production piece.

From
    Puyallup, Washington
    Jan 30, 2006, 10:33 PM - #6

From the pics above, the inner lid does not appear to be domed to acommodate the orb the way it currently sits.

Speaking of Buffy props...has anyone picked up the Vampyr book yet?
    Moff...you had a hand in that one as well didn't you?
    I'm curious how the production version turned out.

Jan 30, 2006, 10:40 PM - #7

I've been hearing of quality issues with the Vampyr book production pieces, and now the Orb can't even have the lid put on the case? Paint jobs have been reportedly poor on the Vampyr books, some received cracked covers. With MR's recent problems, I'm beginning to shy away from licensed pieces. What the hell is going on?
  8. Member Since
    Feb 2004
    Jan 31, 2006, 6:55 AM - #8

Off topic, but looking at that item, I have to ask, why can't United Cutlery, Noble Collection or even MR make a Palantir from LOTR? Without light effects, it's the same general idea. Just bigger, and black instead of white...
    From
    Michigan
    Jan 31, 2006, 7:43 AM - #9

Originally posted by moffeaton@Jan 30 2006, 07:15 PM
    The orb should sit firther down, yeah. Is the inner lid domed (it should be)? I made the damn thing, lol.... still don't have a production piece.
    [snapback]1172127[/snapback]
    So moff this is based off your work? The lid only has a slight dome inside, not nearly enough to cover the orb. Personally I think the picture on the box is misleading if they meant it not to be able to be covered. But it sounds like moff says it was meant to be covered. I'm almost positive in the episode (have to check my DVD) that it was shown deeply recessed and covered in the wood box. The display would stay a lot nicer and more dust free that way too. I'll probably modify the piece myself then. It sounds like if I exchange it for another most likely it will have the same problem.
    Jan 31, 2006, 11:48 PM - #10

Can you do a 'tutorial' of sorts on modifying the inside? I'm tempted to get one, but I'd like to see what has to be done to make it more accurate or at least make the lid actually usable.
    From
    Ohio Valley, Kentucky.
    Feb 1, 2006, 12:10 AM - #11

If there was some sort of a spring or soft foam below the orb, then it could push down with the lid but pop up when opened...
  12. jason1976 is offline jason1976
    Aug 17, 2007, 9:28 AM - Re: Buffy, Orb of Thesulah - Factory X item pics #12

Sporak said: View Post
    If there was some sort of a spring or soft foam below the orb, then it could push down with the lid but pop up when opened...
    OO, that's a great idea.

Personally I thought this prop was way over priced. The real "Orb" was just a quartz sphere, so I looked one ebay, and got one, a lot like the real prop, for $20. shipped from china. (they had one I liked better, but didn't win the auction. ) I wasn't worried about the box, because you don't see it for more then a seen or two, but the orb you see a lot.
  13. RPF Premium Member philippes's Avatar
    Aug 17, 2007, 10:04 AM - Re: Buffy, Orb of Thesulah - Factory X item pics #13

Here are photos of an original Orb I brokered sometime back for reference:

[img]http://props.steinschneider.com/images/buffy_orb_of_thessulah_03.jpg[/imgd]

Phil