Bellatrix Lestrange's bird skull pendant

Calliopeia

Did this over the weekend for my Bellatrix Lestrange costume! It's a silver bird skull necklace that I attempted to replicate with Sculpey. It's only my second time working with Sculpey (the first being years ago!) so helpful tips and constructive criticism will be appreciated!

Close up of the bird skull worn by Helena Bonham Carter.

Necklace-CU-333x400.jpg

skull-1.jpg

Started off with some clay tools and a bar of chocolate (oops I mean sculpey).

skull-2.jpg

Hours just to figure out the best way to make it.

skull-4.jpg

Almost like a nose piercing!

skull-6.jpg

Baking...

skull-7.jpg

And success! And yes I made 2 in case one got destroyed somehow.

I'm going to paint it silver tomorrow with acrylic paint. If anyone knows how to get that glossy silver shade do gimme a shout out!

I don't think so. The screen used one is more weathered, no shine and has more detail in the brows/forehead area. Maybe that was used as a base, but the end result is not the same.

I don't think so. The screen used one is more weathered, no shine and has more detail in the brows/forehead area. Maybe that was used as a base, but the end result is not the same.

I think you are just looking at it out of its original content...

funnypost.jpg

I think if you were to go over the skull portion with some steel wool/fine sandpaper to rough it up some, but leave the beak shiny. Then maybe a light black wash on the head part and paint the inside black it would be pretty spot on.

Lol!

Wow nice find, contec! I'm positive they used that as a base! Unfortunately my wallet doesn't quite agree with that £234 pricetag so I'm gonna stick to a $5 block of sculpey. :p

Anyway updates. I've sanded it down. I was just gonna do light sanding for the paint to 'stick' but it makes sense to smoothen the beak too. Gonna do more sanding tonight when I get home. And hopefully start painting as well. Photos later!

I think you did a great job. I like the one on the left the best. I made my first Bellatrix necklace in Sculpy. If you're going to spraypaint yours, I really like the Colortool Floral Metallics in brilliant silver. It's meant for flowers, but it gives great coverage and has a fantastic gloss. You can get it at Michaels for about $7 a can. I'd paint the inside of the eyes and nose black first, so you don't have to worry about spraying in those spots.

Juno - Hey I actually used your webpage as reference for my skull! I think yours looks really really cool! And aw thank you. :D

A couple more photos. After some sanding, I gave it a black base and silver on top for that metallic look. Colour is not spot on accurate, but I'm quite happy with how they turned out. Tomorrow I'm gonna sand one back down, remove all the acrylic paint and attempt to chrome paint it. *fingers crossed!*

skull-8.jpg

skull-9.jpg

Ooh rub-n-buff? I'll see if I can get some of that in our local stores. And thanks for the comments!

obrotherracing - Thank you! Um no I haven't really thought of it. I haven't perfected it yet haha! But I'd be happy to make more if there are requests.

Onward! More progress yesterday. We stripped the paint off one of the skulls and airbrushed chrome. Might be a bit too shiny now compared to the actual prop, but I think it looks beautiful nonetheless!

skull-10.jpg

skull-11.jpg

Special thanks to Jediguy for the airbrushing work! :D

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back