Advice needed on painting blood onto evil dead chainsaw

edmunds62

I'm totally new to this and my first project will be the Ash's chainsaw from Evil Dead 2. I would really appreciate some pointers on how to achieve the Clotted/Dried blood look? Also what paint product is best used to achieve this desired effect?

Thanks

model painters tend to use tamiya clear red with a little black in the mix, I've also heard of mixing it with a little glue for the clots and even a bit of hair thrown in, some use a gloss clear coat other don't bother, theatrical blood does'nt tent to look so good dried as it can gel and sometimes lightens as it dries

I've also heard what Pobbrett has mentioned, there are a few people on here that have done these might be worth asking them to see how they did it, or hopefully they will see this thread and chime in, I'd be interested how you do it and please post pics, as I'm yet to start my chainsaw also :):thumbsup

Hot glue is your friend!

It makes a realistic "clotted" effect and can be glooped on then with wet fingers be "molded" into all kinds of craziness.

Error did her Red Sonja gore that way. Check out Posts #82 and #84 on that thread.

I actually get done good results from theatrical halloween blood.
The trick is to mix in some black paint... And then it must have a clear coat to give it a wet gloss look.

Here is a machete I did. This was done 4 years ago and still looks wet ;)
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

What I did was take red theater blood and splattered it on for the lightest layer of blood.
I then took more blood and mixed in some black paint. I then splattered that on.
I then took that blood/black paint mixture and mixed in dry OATMEAL, some dirt and grass and human hair.
I then caked that mixture along the blade edge and random spots. The oatmeal really give a good clot look and maybe brain matter.
I then let it dry and then hit the blood areas with a Krylon Triple Thick Glaze spray. It ties it all together and makes the red blood look richer and deeper in color. It looks slightly wet, but gives it a dry blood color and feel too in spots.

The trick is to mix in some black paint... And then it must have a clear coat to give it a wet gloss look.

View attachment 283393View attachment 283394View attachment 283395View attachment 283396View attachment 283397

What I did was take red theater blood and splattered it on for the lightest layer of blood.
I then took more blood and mixed in some black paint. I then splattered that on.
I then took that blood/black paint mixture and mixed in dry OATMEAL, some dirt and grass and human hair.
I then caked that mixture along the blade edge and random spots. The oatmeal really give a good clot look and maybe brain matter.
I then let it dry and then hit the blood areas with a Krylon Triple Thick Glaze spray. It ties it all together and makes the red blood look richer and deeper in color. It looks slightly wet, but gives it a dry blood color and feel too in spots.

That looks ridiculously realistic. I'm a fan.:thumbsup

Thanks for the great advice!

View attachment 283393View attachment 283394View attachment 283395View attachment 283396View attachment 283397

Hot glue is your friend!

It makes a realistic "clotted" effect and can be glooped on then with wet fingers be "molded" into all kinds of craziness.

Error did her Red Sonja gore that way. Check out Posts #82 and #84 on that thread.

Why stop with just #2 and #82...!?

Add some clear yellow to the clear red... Some, not a lot.

Why stop with just #2 and #82...!?

Add some clear yellow to the clear red... Some, not a lot.

Exactly. Take the advice you hear here, then play. Do test samples and add your own ideas into the mix and see what you come up with. The more you test, the more you refine to find exactly what suits your taste.

I was going to go with scream "Who's laughing NOW?" while cutting your own arm off, then hitting it with clear coat, but now that sounds excessive.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back