Luke's Belt from ANH detail Question

Cameron

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Im working on a screen accurate ANH Luke belt. What did the Droid caller hang off of? In some pics it looks like a D ring on a leather tong. In other pics it looks like an aluminum saber hook. I am confused and my eyes are bleary from trying to get screen shots...lol..Any help would be awesome!
Cam

I understand that the droid caller has a D ring. What I have been trying to see is what is the Kobold D ring hanging from. I think I found a good pic. It is hanging from another saber hook. It seems there are two different belts. One from the movie promo pics and the final version in the movie.

The Luke ANH belt has more details on it than most realize. (I've researched this costume for literally over a decade.) I myself am currently at work on my own Luke ANH Costume. The belt is 2 Inches wide with a rectangular buckle (both of which can be purchased from Tandy Leather.) The buckle was riveted into place with brown covered rivets and the belt was dyed a medium to dark brown.

There was a triangular leather ammunition pouch, then a D-Ring assembly that hung from a rounded leather loop. Then a picture frame hook, which was used to hang the Droid caller from. Then another D-Ring on a rounded leather loop. Then after that came the Swiss Army Leather Ammunition pouch. This featured two square pouches. Then another picture frame hook that was used for the lightsaber.

Though these are no longer in stock, here is a picture of the Swiss Army pouch and it features dimensions so that you can accurately reproduce your own:

http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/SW3607

Also, I will be using these as the caps for the Brown rivets to hold the belt buckle on:

http://www.denverfabrics.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=NMC091749

Here is a link to the best OT Saber Hooks that I've come across:

http://www.saberbelt.com/OTSaberHook.html

If I can I'll try and draw up a sketch to show you the order that each item was attached to the belt.

I hope this may be of some help to you.

Psab

Here are some pictures of my current belt set up. I will be redoing this as the color is a bit off and the rivets holding the buckle on are silver instead of the correct brown. I used a double cap rivet from Tandy Leather but instead of using the regular cap I used a silver cap from a heavy duty snap set.

lukebelt.jpg

lukebelt1.jpg

lukebelt2.jpg

Wow, who would have guessed that when I threw together a rough Luke costume for Halloween back in high school I'd just happen to grab the EXACT Swiss army pouch used on the real thing because I thought it looked about right? Are those worth anything these days? I couldn't get your link up above to load.

Wow, who would have guessed that when I threw together a rough Luke costume for Halloween back in high school I'd just happen to grab the EXACT Swiss army pouch used on the real thing because I thought it looked about right? Are those worth anything these days? I couldn't get your link up above to load.

I picked this up on ebay for about $40. Sorry about the links. I always have trouble hyper-linking! I hope this information is useful and that the pictures can help.

Psab,
Looking good! It appears we are on a similar journey.
I havent seen that second D Ring in any shots that Ive looked at except for a strange publicity shot that had the wrong pouches. Did you see that in a screen cap?

You might want to adjust the D ring by the Saber Hook to come off at an angle to the belt. It looks like it was set that way. Additionally if you cut through one of the stitches (second from the bottom set of stitches) on the Ammo pack you can fit the belt through all three loops and it will lay better.

Heres where I am so far. Im still looking for the correct triangular pouch and the long pouch.

View attachment 46463
View attachment 46464
View attachment 46465

Best of luck in the hunt!
Cam

Hey Cameron,

Your belt looks great! And I'll have to try and take out that set of stitches. It is kind of annoying to have to constantly adjust the pouch. The second D-Ring assembly is attached to the back of the belt, though it is covered by the Swiss ammo pouch much of the time. I don't have a screen capture, but if you pop in your ANH DVD and watch during the scene where Obi-Wan rescues Luke from the Sand People, freeze frame as they are about to leave for Ben's house. The moment when Luke turns around to go, right before R2 reminds him that they have to get 3PO, you can see a second D-ring assembly on the back of the belt.

Psab,
Thanks for the kind words. Awesome catch on the second D ring! Off to the DVD player I go!
Cam

You both have AWESOME Belts. Been working on mine as well and you both have set high standards but AWESOME references. I have seen the same thing from screen shots as what you both have mentioned above. Seems like Luke does have some serious details on his belt. How did you guys go about making the 2 leather pieced with the D-Ring. And is that riveted on?

G-man

Great info! I have also started making a Luke ANH belt and it is nice to see this thread active again.

I spent yesterday working on my pattern for the elusive front pouch and I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys thought of it so far. The front rivets are not accurate but considering this was just a test I was happy with the way it turned out.

Paul

photobucket-4911-1335454008720.jpg

More photos at http://photobucket.com/LukeSkywalkerBelt

Last edited by a moderator:
DUDE! Very Nice. That looks great. You are on the right track with that. Looking forward to see more of the make of the belt.

G-man

Not only is it nice I bought that Biach on Ebay from ya!!! Can ya scan and shoot me your pattern? BTW If ya want an accurate belt I would be more than happy to whip one up for ya. Maybe we can work out a post ebay buy/ trade?!?

utha4c,
I cut a strip of leather, rounded the ends, folded it and riveted it through the belt. It hugs the belt if that makes sense. Dont forget to put your D Rings on before you rivet and use a washer on the back side otherwise it will just pull through the belt.
Hope that helps and may the Force be with you!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the kind words. I have wanted one of these for a very long time and now I can’t wait to start on the other pouches!

Cameron - Thanks for buying the one on ebay! I’ll ship it out today.

Thanks G-man!

Yoda111, that is the most accurate triangular pouch replica I've ever seen! Considering how hard it is to find the correct pouch (I've only seen one in pictures on an ebay auction for a Luke ANH belt) I would have guessed that yours could have been the real thing! Out of curiosity, do you have any photos of the inside of it?

I'm going to be remaking my belt (always the perfectionist) as well as my Luke ANH costume with more color correct fabric.

Good to see that Luke's ANH farmboy costume is getting some love!

Last edited:
Psab keel,

Thanks for the great compliment!! Here are a few photos from the first pouch that I made. Hope they help.

Paul

2012-04-29_21-06-31_424-1.jpg
2012-04-29_21-06-17_608.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much! Where did you source your pattern from? I wasn't aware that this had a central brace in there. Very interesting indeed!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back