Interest Doctor Who 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) Sonic Screwriver 3d Printed Model Kits 2.0!!!

Doctor Octoroc

Sr Member
EDIT: Order thread is up!

http://www.therpf.com/f75/doctor-wh...crewriver-3d-printed-model-kits-2-0-a-233244/

Oy, Doctor Who fans!

First thing's first - an obligatory introduction image of a very talented member's finishing job on one of the previous kits (a huge thanks to E Williams for purchasing one and for the the amazing paint job!). If this doesn't hook you, nothing will!

10215163983_d18e1ac5c6_z.jpg

Pretty, isn't it? You can check out the rest of them, as well as the other sonics from the first run, in this thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/3d-printed...tor-octoroc-building-finishing-thread-194390/

There is also some discussion about finishing techniques so you can read up and see what these kits are all about, but I detail all the factors involved in the first post along with the pictures of all the finished sonics posted in that thread!

Here's a link to a diagram I created for version 1.0 showing how everything goes together:

www.doctoroctoroc.com/misc/sonicAssembly_8th_new.jpg

Just to clarify, this INT thread is gauging interest for just the McGann sonics since I've been getting a ton of emails and messages here and on other sites inquiring about the 8th Doctor sonic kits specifically. For those who have been waiting, that time is approaching fast! And as those same people may know, I was holding off so that I could redesign it with more room inside and better details, an advantage that my new job has afforded me with having to learn SolidWorks. For those who are wondering what the big deal is, SolidWorks is the industry standard for product design and is a very powerful program which allows me to make some kick ass models (I believe that's their slogan on the website). I've been using it for about a year now and as a proper demonstration of my abilities (since all the work I do professionally is for confidential design patent applications), here's a link to another RPF thread containing models I've made recently of a bunch of video game consoles:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=192675&p=3483344&viewfull=1#post3483344

Just ignore all the posts before #18 that I linked - that was before I learned SolidWorks and I'm ashamed of them...

And speaking of SolidWorks, here's a teaser screenshot of the main shaft of the sonic in progress:

wipScreenshot8thDoctorSonic.jpg

It's not much to look at right now but the improvements between the old and new will be plain to see once I'm finished, which should be within a week or so. Or I may bang it all out in a day or two, it's just hard to tell with holiday stuff going on this time of year. At the latest, I should be able to throw a FS thread up the first week of January 2015! It should be noted that I will not be prototyping this one since I'm using the measurements and tolerances from the original model which has been tested and verified by the many members who purchased it from the first round of 3d printed sonic kits. What this means is that there will be no lag time between the close of the run and ordering the kits from Shapeways.

The going rate will probably be between $50 and $60 but I can't know for sure until I finish the model and get the prices from Shapeways. As with the first run, an electronics kit will be available for a few dollars more, which will include an ultra bright LED, tactile switch and enough wire to hook everything together, for those who don't want to track that all down. The application of these parts, as well as the power source for it all is up to you, whether you just want to make it light up or opt to gut a toy sonic for spare parts. I've had a few comments about the internals of the Build Your Own Sonic kits by CO barely not fitting inside, so the key change will be more room on the inside, in addition to more refined details and better accuracy to the original that my former modeling skills and software did not afford me. In addition, the original sonic kit was specially designed to house a small tactile switch (included with the electronics kit) just behind the visible trigger but it was a length down the shaft which made it difficult to install. I'll probably redisign that area to make things easier on that front for those installing electronics.

For those interested, speak up and I'll add you to the bottom of this post. There is no commitment, of course, I just need to see how much they'll cost from the number of interested parties, as is common to any run on here. I'll also try my best to get back in touch with those who have contacted me outside of the RPF to let them know but feel free to spread the word if you know people who would be interested.

EDIT: I've added some pictures from the rest of the thread to show more.

View attachment 430322

View attachment 431419

View attachment 431574

IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

View attachment 431581

IMG_5055.JPG

Interested parties:

aaroncreaser (deluxe x2) + stand
Anakin Starkiller
BankOfMom
cirens + stand
DBachiniLima
doctorwholittle (x2) + stand
drjon (basic) + core + stand + cap
dualsaber + core
E Williams + stand
greatwazoo42
LumberKnight
Morthwyl (basic) + core + rod
Mr Mcgoo + core
MrCafe
osric
paulidale + core + stand?
RobMcLaury + stand
soapboxjulian + stand
Terrasolo + core
The Next Doctor + core
TheValeyard
(Friend of TheValeyard - name TBD) + stand
TickTockMan - (basic) + core + stand
TimeyWhimeyStuff
TripShakespeare (x2)
Zaphod + core

Last edited:
Awesome! Good interest stirring up!

Here's another WIP shot to stir up some more!

wipScreenshot8thDoctorSonic02.jpg

Mid section is finished aside from the switch and tail section is about halfway done!

Last edited:
Okay, the redesign is nearly finished! I just need to implement an easier way to install the push switch (probably by means of an extension from the fin assembly that extends down into the main shaft just behind the trigger button) then I can price it out.

wipScreenshot8thDoctorSonic04.jpg

A non-RPF friend of mine may well be interested in this too - would it be okay if he contacts you directly when you are further along?

(If not I'll simply buy 2.)

Last edited:
A non-RPF friend of mine may well be interested in this too - would it be okay if he contacts you directly when you are further along?

(If not I'll simply buy 2.)

If they sign up to the RPF in order to get in on the run once the FS thread goes up, that's perfectly fine, or you can put in the request on their behalf and give me a "username" for them if they decide not to sign up with one of their own - get fun with it haha. The important thing is that the PayPal payment mentions the same username as the RPFer who put the order in, so whatever name they choose or you choose for them, that'll need to be included on the order so I'll know payment has been received for them. That applies to everyone, of course, with their own respective RPF usernames - but all that will be covered when the FS thread goes up.

I'd like some input on the last design feature, which is the piece that extends from the fin assembly down into the main shaft and holds the push switch. On the original, there was simply an extra bit that held the switch in place just beyond the hole behind the trigger, but this area has been redesigned to make it easier to install the push switch and wire things up, after which the trigger button is sanded to the desired length to control how hard it needs to be pressed in order to activate the push switch, places on top, and finally the trigger ring, which stops the button from coming out, is glued into place on the outside of the main shaft.

I couldn't show all the parts without hiding the redesigned area, so just imagine there is a shaft around everything below the approximate halfway point of the image. The push switch is shown in black/silver while all the pieces of the kit are shown in dull grey.

wipScreenshot8thDoctorSonic05.jpg

Here's a section cut to show the shape better. Basically, you'll have the square section that holds the push switch (with a bit of glue to keep it secure) then slits behind the push switch for the prongs and the wires that will be soldered to them, with space above the entire push switch area and below it. So you can hook your power supply up to the bottom prong(s) of the switch and your light/sound to the upper prong(s).

Pardon the crude mouse writing lol.

wipScreenshot8thDoctorSonic06_markup.jpg

Does that work for you guys or do you see a better way to do it?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back