BlindSquirrel's JUDGE DREDD HELMET CONTEST ENTRY

BlindSquirrel

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
As a life-long Dredd fan, it was hard to decide on what helmet to build. In the end, I always liked how the Brit-Cit helmets paralleled the American Judges in concept but had their own unique style.

britcit01.jpg

For me, Dredd 3D is the best possible version of JD (second being the Bolland run in the comic) so I wanted to make my helmet in the style of the film. I kept the basic shape closer to the Dredd movie, but made the dome a bit aller as a nod to the comic's Bobby helmet look. The details were cobbled together from many different artists, but I was able to reach enough of a consensus that I could start building.

britcit02.jpg

I cut front and side profiles out of 1/4" MDF, cut slots in each and glued the together.

britcit03.jpg

I cut layers of pink insulation foam and glued them into the voids. Using blades, rasps and sandpaper, I shaped the basic structure of the helmet.

britcit08.jpg

Next I sealed the foam with acrylic paint and coated the surface with Bondo. First, I corrected any symmetry issues and then I moved on to sculpt the details.

britcit09.jpg

Many, Many hours of sanding later, the sculpt was done!

britcit21.jpg

To make the eyes, I vacformed the recesses in thin styrene.

britcit24.jpg

I cut rough holes in the lion's face and slid the plastic into them. The excess was trimmed off once the glue dried. This method gives me nice smooth interior surfaces where it would be otherwise hard to sand and putty.

britcit26.jpg

Looking at the comic, I couldn't tell if the stripes were painted raised or recessed. I opted to make them slightly raised by using electrical tape. The rubbery tape wraps perfectly over the compound curves of the helmet's dome.

britcit30.jpg

The final sculpt, ready for molding!

britcit33.jpg

britcit34.jpg

britcit35.jpg

Right now the helmet is under the first few layers of brush-on silicone. I hope to have the rubber done by Friday so I can apply a Plasti-paste mother mold and make my first pull!

That's amazing! Like, simply stunning! You've gone down a route I was scared to even attempt! I take it you'll be offering a cast of this when you're done for Brit-Citizens?!

:D

How strange that everyones been thinking of Brit Cit cops! :D Stunning build, can't wait to see the finished lid! I too have been planning my own take on the Brit helmet, again not for the comp but after my recent first attempt at designing a bolland helmet which has turned out not too shabby :)

I'm officially a stalker of this thread! :)

Thanks guys! I really wanted to build the Sov Judge but I couldn't resist the big Lion face!

I will indeed be offering copies of this one!

Now that's impressive!

Well done mate, fantastic take on the Brit-Cit helmet. I used that same picture as a reference but I'm in awe of what you've come up with :D

Keep up the good work, I'll be watching this one with great interest!

Cheers,

Ross

Awesome skills, that's some clean lines right there. Can't wait to see it finish, best if luck for the comp :thumbsup

I spent the week applying brush-on silicone to build what seemed like a giant mold. As I was roto casting this morning, all I could think "I hope I figured the size right!". Fortunately, once I popped it out of the mold, everything looked good! No Judge Bobblehead!

IMG_4874-2.jpg

I got a welding shield, cut a piece and attached it with pop rivets. The shield was masked with plastic wrap before attaching so that I could paint the helmet.

IMG_4878-2.jpg

So I end the day with a coat of primer. I'll do a little cleanup tomorrow and then paint it!

IMG_4879-2.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back