Why aren't these movies on Bluray?

Something I'm waiting for is a Blu-ray boxed set of the first 10 years, every season and episode, of Mythbusters.

I'm not sure they are even going to keep making the DVDs. The 'collections' are at 10 but that's shows from 2008-2009, and the complete seasons stopped earlier than that. It's like they gave up but I'm sure DVD sales were the factor.

Never heard of 'Thief', will have to check it out.
It's the same sort of crime setting as his later film, "Heat."
It takes place in 1980 so the style and cars are going to be different, of course. And, compared to "Heat," "Thief" is focused just on one character - and it's a much more personal film in that way.

James Caan said it's one of his top two favorite roles. (I can guess what the other one was).

Supporting cast is exceptional. Some of them were actually "retired" high-line thieves who also served as consultants in the film. They taught James Caan how to really crack safes. James Caan was never told what kind of safes were being used until shooting - so he had to improvise like a pro. There were also a lot of real veteran Chicago PD in the cast which added credibility to their performances, especially in the interrogation scene.

You actually learn from the commentary track that some of the consultant thieves had never been caught IRL, but were protected under the statute of limitations so they could work on the set with cops. Evidently the cops and robbers traded stories which led to some comical confrontations when a thief could confess about a score that stumped the Chicago PD for years. The funny thing is, at the end of the filming, the most infamous of the consultants went back to crime - just because it's what he loved to do. I'm not sure if he was ever caught.

Anyway. I got the Blu-Ray and I love it!

Last edited:
You guys should be lucky to live in the US.

Here a lot of movies are unreleased yet, still not on DVD, and sometimes the they have very poor quality.

I have some US DVDs in my collection because the movies are still unreleased... LEXX for example. We have 2 Double Features with Part 1+2 ans 3+4, but only very strong cut to a FSK16, that's like PG13 or something...

Sometimes DVDs are out of print, so it is impossible to get them and the old versions are expensive as hell, like the Mighty Ducks trilogy. However, it looks like Disney is not interested to re-release the movies around here...

And sometimes we have to wait forever for a movie, so some unofficial labels produce bootlegs and sell them for very lucrative prices... Turtles was one of the movies. They decide to release an official version after the bootleg was sold for years. Same for some horror movies like Childs Play, Jason goes to hell or Nightmare (there is still no official unrated version of Part 1 and 5 available here) .

Another thing is the dubbing. sometimes they change it to a new. That isn't such a big thing in the US, but here we always want the old dubbing. It took several years and an online petition to bring "The little mermaid" from Disney back with the old voices.

I watch mainstream hollywood, so I don't know about all the B-,C-, whatever movies, tv series or which are still unreleased, but I'm pretty sure you guys have a better selection than Europe (except UK).

I'm still waiting for a german release of "Boy meets world"

You guys should be lucky to live in the US.

Here a lot of movies are unreleased yet, still not on DVD, and sometimes the they have very poor quality.

I have some US DVDs in my collection because the movies are still unreleased... LEXX for example. We have 2 Double Features with Part 1+2 ans 3+4, but only very strong cut to a FSK16, that's like PG13 or something...

Sometimes DVDs are out of print, so it is impossible to get them and the old versions are expensive as hell, like the Mighty Ducks trilogy. However, it looks like Disney is not interested to re-release the movies around here...

And sometimes we have to wait forever for a movie, so some unofficial labels produce bootlegs and sell them for very lucrative prices... Turtles was one of the movies. They decide to release an official version after the bootleg was sold for years. Same for some horror movies like Childs Play, Jason goes to hell or Nightmare (there is still no official unrated version of Part 1 and 5 available here) .

Another thing is the dubbing. sometimes they change it to a new. That isn't such a big thing in the US, but here we always want the old dubbing. It took several years and an online petition to bring "The little mermaid" from Disney back with the old voices.

I watch mainstream hollywood, so I don't know about all the B-,C-, whatever movies, tv series or which are still unreleased, but I'm pretty sure you guys have a better selection than Europe (except UK).

I'm still waiting for a german release of "Boy meets world"
I'm sorry to hear that.

The dubbing issue is big for me. I hate to watch dubbed films.
That's surprising about The Little Mermaid. It reminds me of my long, long wait for a subtitled version of Kiki's Delivery Service - not only for the voices but for the original music.
Even Das Boot which had exceptional English dubbing still annoyed me. I refused to see it in the theater because of it. It was many, many years before I could find a full, uncut, subtitled copy.
I saw Fellini's Amarcord in 1984 and waited until 2006 before there was a proper subtitled anamorphic DVD I could find. For the longest time it was #1 on my wish list.

For the longest time I thought about investing in a multi-region DVD player - until I found ways to view different DVD regions on my computer.

Capricorn One
Oh God
the Thin Man films
Juggernaut
The Black Hole
Paper Moon
Darby O'Gill and the Little People
Ravenous
Dracula (1979)
Grey Lady Down

Doug

Last edited:
Not a movie but why aren't they releasing Castle on bluray?! :(
Great people of TV land I have money I want to spend...... please make it easier for me to spend my well earned dough! ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back