Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

While ROTJ wasn't perfect, I still think it trumps any of the prequels, hands down. At least I cared about who was in it. Not so with the new ones.

Yeah until they start releasing any real news I don't think we have anything to worry about when it comes to the quality of the stories. Those five video interviews ( or should I say single video interview that was cut into five pieces) were a joke.

Those five video interviews ( or should I say single video interview that was cut into five pieces) were a joke.

I thought they were all the usual platitudes for this sort of thing, with the last installment being really disappointing in that we were made to wait for it as if it were going to be something revelatory, which it wasn't.

You're off your bloody rocker.

About the only good thing about ROTJ was the conflict between Vader and Luke. The other 80% of the movie? Harrison Ford calling it in, what little we see of Yoda is saccharin-sweet sentimentality, "from a certain point of view" revisionism from Obi Wan, an extended Tattooine sequence that walks the line bewteen silly and just plain annoying, and Ewoks.

If they hadn't made the mad rush to close out the saga, folding the remains of the narrative into one film, omitting volumes of information and making all kinds of compromises in the story line to do so, maybe it would have been better. Like Peter Griffin said in "It's a Trap!", "The eff'd up thing is we've already done this before." (or something to that effect). They had to jump through as many hoops to make the story work as they did for the prequels, plus the finale was just a rehash of ANH.

About the only good thing about ROTJ was the conflict between Vader and Luke. The other 80% of the movie? Harrison Ford calling it in, what little we see of Yoda is saccharin-sweet sentimentality, "from a certain point of view" revisionism from Obi Wan, an extended Tattooine sequence that walks the line bewteen silly and just plain annoying, and Ewoks.

If they hadn't made the mad rush to close out the saga, folding the remains of the narrative into one film, omitting volumes of information and making all kinds of compromises in the story line to do so, maybe it would have been better. Like Peter Griffin said in "It's a Trap!", "The eff'd up thing is we've already done this before." (or something to that effect). They had to jump through as many hoops to make the story work as they did for the prequels, plus the finale was just a rehash of ANH.

All very valid points, however, still more enjoyable than any of the prequals :)

...Harrison Ford calling it in...
In all fairness to Ford, Lucas and Kasdan didn't write much into the script for Solo to do. I think Lucas didn't know what to do with the character at that point, and just kept him around because he was a fan favorite. I'm sure Ford himself realized this, since he suggested to Lucas the idea of killing Solo off. I think Ford simply did the best he could with the material he was given.

I would agree Return of the Jedi is the weakest of the Original Trilogy movies, but in my opinion it's still better than any of the Prequel Trilogy movies.

Here's the bottom line. The OT was basically a fairytale with the backdrop of a war in a galactic setting. There needs to be something recognizable to us as a war. While the PT had war going on, it was just entirely too high tech and complicated to have any sense of familiarity to us. You look at the OT and you get ships that give off an air of similarity to fighter planes, AT ATs that are essentially galactic tanks, blasters that looked very similar to guns in our universe, etc etc. What I'm trying to say is this: design is everything. Even though this is set in "a galaxy far far away," there needs to be a sense of familiarity to the technology, otherwise we as an audience are never sucked into the universe. The PT is proof of this. Familiar storytelling using the hero's journey, and design that reminds us of our life in some way. That is how this film will succeed.

Re: Old heroes in SW sequel

Well, who would not like to see our old heroes again?

Princess-Leia-princess-leia-organa-solo-skywalker-28842739-762-600.jpg

But then I though about it and remembered what the reality looks like...

JxYIg.jpg

Is that really what the regular fanboy wants?

Then I got it! We all know how deep in love those executives are with CGI nowadays...

... so put a little bit of

andy.jpg

into it and voilà:

princess-leia-is-that-you_o_935489.jpg

Fans satisfied!

Last edited:

Well, who would not like to see our old heroes again?
But then I though about it and remembered what the reality looks like...
And reality is still better than CGI or recasting to some hot brainless newcomers.

I doubt any of them, if hired, will go into the movie without having trained or dieted a little. Also... it may come to a shock to some, but old age actually means wrinkles, flabby skin, and a few or many extra pounds. Nothing unnatural about that. No CGI enhancement required. Just make it work for the story.

And reality is still better than CGI.

Definitely mate - this applies everywhere, doesn't it? :darnkids

Nothing unnatural about (old age). No CGI enhancement required..

But what about all those folks who already think The Flanneled One raped their childhood... what do you think they will feel when they see the slightly different Princess Leia?

carrie-fisher-ramey.jpg

Just make it work for the story.

That is where I have my doubts...

But what about all those folks who already think The Flanneled One raped their childhood... what do you think they will feel when they see the slightly different Princess Leia?
**** them. They have faulty wires in their brains anyway when they spew crap like that.

Said it before, I'll say it again. The only character from the OT that should be in the new one is Luke. He should be the Obi-Wan character that passes the torch.

Yes, seeing Leia & Han as old folks would mean they don't look great anymore, I don't have a problem with that. But to put them into the story would be pointless. As far as the overall arc goes they are secondary characters. Give us something new. Luke should pass the torch and then die like Obi did.

Only way we'll get anything half decent I think.

Providing Carrie Fisher is in the movie to begin with...

IF the fan(boy) base could go into this movie seeing Leia for the person she is rather the the person they wanted to screw thirty years ago when they were fourteen, whatever she were to be or do in this movie would work out just fine. NO ONE today looks like they did thirty years ago, nor should they. That's life.

One of the most glaring errors of the PT was that Lucas set the story AROUND the war, rather than DURING it, like it was with the OT. War will either bring out the best or worst in a person.

Why does everyone have such a problem with seeing an older Han, Luke, and Leia? You never hear people ***** about how old Clint Eastwood is. He can still kick ass and everyone knows it. Plus their roles will likely be the supporting characters to a new generation of heroes.

Why does everyone have such a problem with seeing an older Han, Luke, and Leia? You never hear people ***** about how old Clint Eastwood is. He can still kick ass and everyone knows it. Plus their roles will likely be the supporting characters to a new generation of heroes.

Because it's baggage to a new story. Give me a new Star Wars, not just some fanboy's wish to see the OT characters again.

I don't have a problem with them being old, I would expect them to be. I have a problem with them being in it at all. Time for something fresh.

But you can't call it episode 7,8 and 9 without the original characters being present in the story or as cameos, because without that connection it becomes another offshoot of the OT and that would be quite silly, though once 7,8,9 are done, then would be the time to start fresh completely.

Because it's baggage to a new story. Give me a new Star Wars, not just some fanboy's wish to see the OT characters again.

I don't have a problem with them being old, I would expect them to be. I have a problem with them being in it at all. Time for something fresh.

Bingo.

Plus, personally, I don't want to watch my heroes grow old. I'd prefer to just say to myself "And they lived happily ever after," rather than confront their mortality.

Personally, I think the story of the OT characters is done. Luke trained new Jedi, Han and Leia raised a family (with Chewie's help), Leia was involved in the new government, and that was that. Everything was fine for many many years....until a new threat to the galaxy arose, and new heroes had to take up the mantle and fight it.

I don't think the old characters -- even Luke -- need to be in a new film at all. You can just...skip ahead. Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, et al. defeated the Empire, rebuilt the Republic, reestablished the Jedi, and peace and prosperity reigned for generations. Until the **** hit the fan. Aaaaaand....go.

That's your new movie. Not Luke training new Jedi, not doofy cameos by over-the-hill characters. Even if they look good, there's just no reason to bother with this.

"But it wouldn't be Star Wars!"

Bull.

People consider the Prequels "Star Wars," and they had a ton of new characters. Is Mace Windu Star Wars? Jango Fett? Padme Amidala? Qui-Gon Jinn? Hell, even Anakin-qua-Anakin (as opposed to Darth Vader) was a "new" character of sorts.

Now, I don't particularly LIKE the Prequels, but I think that merely because we have new characters doesn't mean "It's not Star Wars." You don't NEED the OT characters to make it Star Wars. You need the same setting, more or less.

But you can't call it episode 7,8 and 9 without the original characters being present in the story or as cameos, because without that connection it becomes another offshoot of the OT and that would be quite silly, though once 7,8,9 are done, then would be the time to start fresh completely.

Was 1-3 "Star Wars" because we had Obi-Wan, Yoda, and the droids, plus a bunch of cameos? The only reason the prequels even needed to address any of this stuff was because the backstory was alluded to in 4-6. But we've got literally nothing after 6. The story is told. Let's move on.

You can call it 7-9 and have it be about a new generation of heroes facing a new threat, with no appearance of the old heroes.

Plus, personally, I don't want to watch my heroes grow old. I'd prefer to just say to myself "And they lived happily ever after," rather than confront their mortality.
Then don't watch 7, 8 & 9. Just stick to the off-shoot movies that can be about anything and anybody.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back