Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Sean Hebein's Avatar
    From
    Las Flores, CA
    Aug 1, 2011, 12:37 PM - Shark Week #1

Anyone else watching? I seem to have a harder and harder time getting into it each year because a lot of the content is recycled from the prior couple of years so it seems like I am watching reruns. Anyone else feel like this or am I crazy?
    From
    Portland, OR
    Aug 1, 2011, 1:22 PM - Re: Shark Week #2

Gee. Imagine that, not enough fresh fodder on sharks. Maybe they aren't the threat we're trying to parlay them into! They aren't all Jaws, after all..
    From
    Chicago, IL (Orland Park)
    Aug 1, 2011, 3:48 PM - Re: Shark Week #3

I was digging the HD high-speed photography in 'Air Jaws', but if I hear the phrase, 'researchers are convinced that sharks do not mean humans any harm' one more time, I'm going to have a coronary.

I love shark week, but only watch the new programming during prime time. The shark attack specials are especially good. Skip anything without a 2011 production date.
    From
    Ottawuh, Canaduh!
    Aug 1, 2011, 3:58 PM - Re: Shark Week #4

I love Shark Week.....watch it every year.

Saw "Jaws Goes Home" or something like that last night about the Great White spotted in Chatham, Mass last July....we were at that beach on vacation at that time....yikes!

Great Whites have to be my fave predator....perfect hunting machines.
  5. RPF Premium Member Sean Hebein's Avatar
    From
    Las Flores, CA
    Aug 1, 2011, 6:52 PM - Re: Shark Week #5

My wife grew up in Southern California and all of her brothers are surfers. I love shark stuff and of course whenever we go to the beach I always tease her about all of the sharks on the California coast. A couple years ago we were in San Diego and we went to SeaWorld and the beach of course and then a week later a marathon swimmer got killed by a Great White near the area we were at. Kinda freaky needless to say.

Some time I'd like to go cage diving with white sharks. My wife gets all freaked out by it but I just explain to her that it is an inverse zoo under the water.

I missed the "Jaws Goes Home" thing, hopefully the rebroadcast it because it sounds pretty cool.
    From
    Adelaide, Australia
    Aug 1, 2011, 6:55 PM - Re: Shark Week #6

Funny enough I live where some of the ''Air Jaws'' was filmed..infact I go fishing out there on a regular basis...an yes....I have see a very...very big Great white...my dads boat is 18.5ft long...an we had a 15 footer at least next to us...you really need to see these things up close jus to appreciate how big they are..infact..15 foot is a good size but they are seen around 18ft plus!..I cant imagine being in the water when a 20 foot great white is around...dear god!
  7. RPF Premium Member Sean Hebein's Avatar
    From
    Las Flores, CA
    Aug 1, 2011, 7:47 PM - Re: Shark Week #7

ozisa said: View Post
    Funny enough I live where some of the ''Air Jaws'' was filmed..infact I go fishing out there on a regular basis...an yes....I have see a very...very big Great white...my dads boat is 18.5ft long...an we had a 15 footer at least next to us...you really need to see these things up close jus to appreciate how big they are..infact..15 foot is a good size but they are seen around 18ft plus!..I cant imagine being in the water when a 20 foot great white is around...dear god!
    Don't worry, those sharks just want to cuddle and to be friends.
  8. ralphee is offline ralphee
    Aug 2, 2011, 1:59 AM - Re: Shark Week #8

Aww come on, one thing you can say about the Great White, they are always smiling.
    I was 9 when i saw my first and only white, was about 6 feet or so, was literally rolling in the surf at Seapoint in the Cape.
    I recall my old man saying its rare to see them that size (small) up close.

Crazy thing was, a group of burly guys hauled it up, and tossed it back in, like it was an everyday occurence.....from there, i fell in love with them, fascinating animal.

lee
  9. Do you have any TP? RPF Premium Member The BDK's Avatar
    From
    Kittanning, PA
    Aug 2, 2011, 8:19 AM - Re: Shark Week #9

Thanks to a power outage I missed the show last night about rogues...

I saw Jaws as a kid and was hooked ever since. My horrible grades at learning biology kept me from going into marine studies but I'd love to go diving someday with great whites.
    Aug 3, 2011, 5:40 PM - Re: Shark Week #10

From
    Columbus Ohio
    Aug 14, 2012, 11:16 AM - Re: Shark Week #11

I love Shark Week and I'm a huge Mythbusters fan, so you can imagine my disappointment last night when I tuned into the "All New" Mythbusters shark special they'd been advertising all day only to find out that it was a clip show culled from some of the very same episodes I'd watched while waiting for the "All New" special to come on.

I mean, REALLY Discovery?
    From
    Philadelphia....ish.
    Aug 14, 2012, 12:51 PM - Re: Shark Week #12

Hebinator said: View Post
    Don't worry, those sharks just want to cuddle and to be friends.

You know, researchers are convinced that sharks do not mean humans any harm.

I know I read that somewhere......

From
    New York, NY
    Aug 14, 2012, 1:02 PM - Re: Shark Week #13

From
    The Outer Rim
    Aug 14, 2012, 4:08 PM - Re: Shark Week #14

I'm also finding the shows repetitive from previous years. I guess there's only so much to say. Some of the footage though still is jaw dropping.
    From
    Hammond, LA
    Aug 16, 2012, 7:08 PM - Re: Shark Week #15

I love Shark Week on Discovery!

I'll leave it on during the day when they show the previous years' shows and then when the new shows come on, I'm glued to the screen!

I am usually upset at the fact that Shark Week usually only last 5 programming days (Sun-Thurs) but due to the fact that the Fin-natics asked for it to be Extended they are showing Marathons throughout Sunday!

The Highlights for me this year are "Air Jaws Apocalypse","How JAWS changed the world" and "Shark Fight"

Thanks for 25 years of a feeding frenzy for my eyes and brain!
  16. RPF Premium Member Gigatron's Avatar
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Aug 16, 2012, 7:24 PM - Re: Shark Week #16

It seems that there is only one new episode each day (9PM EST). Everything else is repeats from the previous years.

And the Mythbusters "new" episode annoyed me. Waited all damn day to see a clip show .

-Fred
    Aug 17, 2012, 9:09 AM - Re: Shark Week #17

I was really disappointed in Shark Week this time around. Loads of clip shows from years gone by and some of the new stuff just wasn't all that interesting. They spent an hour show talking about the POV on the seal sled shot they were doing and then when they got it, they still showed you the behind the sled shot over and over.

The bit they did every night with the giant shark crushing something was stupid too. I like how they had revealed that shark and had it munch stuff before the show aired that showed you how they made it and had a big reveal. We've already seen it in action, the reveal is pointless now.

I also have to ask, who was the guy "hosting" the shows this year? Am I supposed to know him from doing something else? Instead of being part of anything he was on the beach doing nothing more than hosting a kegger with a giant mechanical shark.
    From
    New Jersey
    Aug 17, 2012, 2:58 PM - Re: Shark Week #18

I love Shark Week, it's truly one of my highlights of the summer.
    But I'm sick to death of the "Air Jaws" shows. Enough!!! After watching the sharks breach the water for the thousandth time, it starts to lose its impact!!
    From
    Arizona
    Aug 17, 2012, 6:43 PM - Re: Shark Week #19

I agree...they should combine Shark Week with Ninja Warrior and then I'd watch it again!!
    From
    Baltimore MD
    Aug 17, 2012, 7:26 PM - Re: Shark Week #20

This should spice up Shark week for everyone.
    http://cheezburger.com/6508624896
    From
    UK
    Aug 19, 2012, 8:26 PM - Re: Shark Week #21

alienscollection.com said: View Post
    Love it!
  22. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Aug 19, 2012, 9:45 PM - Re: Shark Week #22

rollerboi said: View Post
    Gee. Imagine that, not enough fresh fodder on sharks. Maybe they aren't the threat we're trying to parlay them into! They aren't all Jaws, after all..
    I haven't really watched a whole shark week but I don't think it's about showing how scary and mean they are... I thought it was common knowledge that they don't eat humans?

I don't think they show shark attacks all the time on Shark Week... just some but mostly info about sharks and awesome shark footage.

Either way shark attacks are actually becoming more common but that's probably cause we're screwing with their food :|
    From
    North of Orlando FL. If you cross the river you went too far.
    Aug 20, 2012, 5:19 AM - #23

Dao2 said: View Post
    Either way shark attacks are actually becoming more common but that's probably cause we're screwing with their food :|
    Are they more common or just getting reported more? A year or two ago here in Florida you could not turn on the news without hearing about another attack, but this year nothing. Now it seems to be bears in neighborhoods.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch
    From
    Herald, Kalifornia
    Aug 20, 2012, 12:20 PM - Re: Shark Week #24

NormanF said: View Post
    Are they more common or just getting reported more? A year or two ago here in Florida you could not turn on the news without hearing about another attack, but this year nothing. Now it seems to be bears in neighborhoods.

A thing I always remember about 9/11 was how the few weeks prior, the media had decided to start reporting shark attacks daily, as if it were becoming an epidemic. It was the big nightly story. Interviews with "experts", etc.

As soon as 9/11 happened, the sharks apparently stopped attacking, because well, the media stopped reporting on the epidemic.
  25. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Aug 20, 2012, 4:04 PM - Re: Shark Week #25

NormanF said: View Post

I believe number wise it went up because more and more sharks are forced to move closer to shore, but even so the total numbers are shockingly low, and the number of fatalities from it are really low (I think the average is less than one a year fatal for unprovoked shark attacks in the US).

They're usually not fatal because Sharks don't eat humans, but they'll bite us (and a lot of other things, boats, bueoys, etc). So most attacks (unprovoked of course, no one is going to be surprised if a shark takes you to down if you're being a dick :P) are only a single bite, unfortunately that bite can end up being pretty bad depending on the size and location of it.

edit: Too paraphrase Jaws, tell them it's a shark and people get all hot and bothered, tell em it's a barracuda they don't care cause they don't know wtf it is :P

2nd edit: Also funnily enough I think shark attacks in Florida are actually declining :P
    Last edited by Dao2; Aug 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM.