Ridley Scott Prometheus: NOT the Alien Prequel Details

I guess I'm confused. What I had gathered from following this thread was that it was originally thought that this was not a prequel but that recent revelations have made it clear that it is indeed a prequel of sorts or at least very much in the same universe and that future installments will likely lead closer into the original film. Do you mean not in the same system as LV426?

Chris

Well, we already know its not LV426. It's LV-233, but there have been lots of things said by Ridley and Damon that indicate there may be several planets as locations in the film, including an early earth.

Ridley said early on that the story involves "terraforming" and "faster than light travel", and the gods and "engineers of space". Engineers of space could be a pretty bold concept, whatever that means in the context of the story. There is a shot in one of the trailers showing a humanoid figure dematerializing as is runs into a portal of some sort, which appears to be in the alien temple.

Lots of ideas come to mind as to what Ridley meant when he said "different universe". He may not have meant literally a different or alternate universe. Then again, he may have meant exactly that.

Last edited:
Just from the looks of this film it seems that this will be deeper and more philosophical than ALIEN...How to you think it will rank against Blade Runner?.
Or any of the other philosophical sci fi films out there?

There is a shot in one of the trailers showing a humanoid figure dematerializing as is runs into a portal of some sort, which appears to be in the alien temple.

When I saw that part, I took it that we were seeing through the eyes of something other than a human. Like when you see things through the Predator's mask. Like you were watching one of the crew running away from something that wasn't human, and you were seeing it's perspective..

Yeah, looked more like a holographic projection of some sort, like someone was watching video feed from one of the mapping sensors or something.

Oh man. ".....distressing." I said it myself at the same instant he did - was just waiting for it. I really, really hope they're not giving away too much, but I hope they're not giving us a false plot clue either. :D

I don't know what it was about how he was acting, but I couldn't stop laughing through the video. Although, the funny thing is that I know some managers who act like that :p

My God! Fassbender really is channeling the HAL9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey here! Fascinating and yet slightly unsettling. Cant wait to see him in action this summer! :)

Yeah that was a fun watch. :) I'm glad i'm not the only one who found some of that 'funny' and after hearing Ridley say that you are allowed to laugh, I think that's a bit of testament to Fassbender because at the same time.. He's a bit creepy which is perfect. Reminds me of a kid who's just fascinated and curious, yet he's poking at your innards with a stick wondering... What are you thinking and how do you feel right now? Good stuff and I love the marketing for this film. It's been fun.

Agreed, but I also got a strong Blade Runner influence there...pretty cool.

David

The same thing occurred to me about the David ad, David. :cool Especially the funky retro styled logo work.

brwy.jpg

Fassbender is an amazing actor, it's great to see him do something like this. Funny and creepy and scary and cute all at the same time.

What's with the skulls in the background?

Fassbender is an amazing actor, it's great to see him do something like this. Funny and creepy and scary and cute all at the same time.

What's with the skulls in the background?

The same thing occurred to me about the David ad, David. :cool Especially the funky retro styled logo work.

brwy.jpg

Isn't the Blade Runner universe somehow connected to the Alien universe? I seem to remember Ridley mentioning something like this in an interview once, but can't find anything online about it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back