Phantom Pain trailer. Metal Gear Solid V in disguise?

They call it that but it'll end up hurting things a bit i think, most American fans equate hayter with Solid snake and big boss. I'd understand if they wanted to do it like in MGS 4 where they needed the voice big boss and snake to be different but say that. They'll probably have Hayter back as solid snake if they finally tie the series together totally but Kojima already said he'd let someone else remake the original 2 games but he doesn't have time for it. This is another "artistic" decision like led the crapstorm for mass effect 3.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% convinced... I mean didn't Kojima once 'confirm' that he wasn't doing MGS4? I wouldn't be surprised if Hayter is back after all, and Kojima's just messing with all of us (which he is so good at)

If I had my way, Haytet would voice Big Boss before his coma, and Doyle would after. Or if my wish comes true, Hayter will cameo as Solid Snake at the end!!

It could be he and Hayter are up to something you don't just go giving the cold shoulder to an actor you've used for nearly 20 years. I'm sure solid snake will always be voiced by Hayter though. The japanese are big on keeping voice actors because fans demand it but sadly they have no clue how rabid anime and game fans can be if you mess with actors. Pioneer replaced the entire Tenchi Muyo cast for a series and it didn't do nearly as well.

Best part of MGS4 for me was Rex vs Ray at Shadow Moses. I hope Kojima comes up with something epic for this one if it is going to be his last MGS.

the odd part is people are saying that they used same japanese voice actor as always for Big Boss in trailers, but i cant really confurm that now as im at work and have restrited web access

He's totally in it-- he's gotta be. How many times has Hideo pranked us before?

I'll be really surprised if this game gets released and we don't hear his familiar voice

Well if Hayter's not doing it anymore they can kiss my money good buy, i'll buy used only and i'll urge all metal gear fans to do the same. It's like Transformers without Peter Cullen as Prime, it's just a pile of gibberish.

Is the voice really a deal breaker? I feel sometimes you have to be open to change and in turn you might be presently surprised

Last edited:
Kojima is a smart guy. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's doing but it'll be a reall bummer if Hayter is completely gone.

Is Kojima a Hayter hater now? :)

Kiefer Sutherland plays/voices Snake

snakekeiferpng-30b5af_610w2.jpg

I hope his voice works for the character. I wonder if he'll bring a little of David hayters style to his performance or if we'll just get 100% keiffer style voice.

It'll be his typical bland voice like he used in his previous voice acting. Just watch the original Armitage III anime and you'll see what we're stuck with. Kojima sold out to hollywood.

Do bear in mind that the character in question is Naked Snake.. aka Big Boss. That's not Solid Snake.

IMO, Kojima is trying to branch the two men apart, identify them as unique characters and not just carbon copies of each other (I know, I know.. but still). Big Boss did have a different voice actor at the end of MGS4, after all, although most people assumed it was because the two Snakes were actually in the same scene talking to each other and it would have gotten way too confusing if both were being voiced by the same actor.

There's also some speculation that Solid Snake will appear in some form in the new game, and he'll still be voiced by David Hayter.

Do bear in mind that the character in question is Naked Snake.. aka Big Boss. That's not Solid Snake.

IMO, Kojima is trying to branch the two men apart, identify them as unique characters and not just carbon copies of each other (I know, I know.. but still). Big Boss did have a different voice actor at the end of MGS4, after all, although most people assumed it was because the two Snakes were actually in the same scene talking to each other and it would have gotten way too confusing if both were being voiced by the same actor.

There's also some speculation that Solid Snake will appear in some form in the new game, and he'll still be voiced by David Hayter.

Well Guess what.... Naked snake was DAVID HAYTER the first time we ever heard him. And we all played it many times. This is a ****ed situation. BUT... I do see what you're say and there is a slim chance that it could work given the voice in MGS4 totally worked. I LOVE metal gear and hold out hope. I really do hope you're right.

If they wanted to branch they could have at least got the guy who voiced Bigboss in MGS4. I hope Hayter is snake in this one because at some point they're going to run out of timeline and the two will have to meet. They need to let someone remake the first 2 metal gear games with hayter as snake. Kojima said he'd be up for someone to do it but i think he's secretly gonna do it himself.

I just hope Sutherland performance is up to snuff. I just have a hard time imagining saying all the goofy stuff that makes a metal gear game a metal gear game.

Imagine keiffer doing this bit- http://youtu.be/5x6mVUDB6Fw

There a wonderful balance of super serious mixed with wacky tongue in cheek humor that I love about metal gear. They parody action cinema whiles lap being love letters to the genre.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back