Life of Pi (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
Life of Pi Official Trailer #1 (2012) Ang Lee Movie HD - YouTube
I haven't read the book, but was aware of the movie when Shyamalan was originally planning to direct it, but eventually Ang Lee got the job.

Release Date: November 21, 2012

Directed by: Ang Lee
Screenwriter: David Magee
Cast: Tobey Maguire, Suraj Sharma, Irffan Khan, Gerard Depardieu, Adil Hussain

Official site: Life Of Pi
IMDB: Life of Pi (2012) - IMDb

15191-life-pi-poster.jpg

I saw the trailer during "Prometheus" and my first thought was WTF!!!!!

My mom tried to get me to read the book a few years ago but it didn't sound like anything that I would enjoy. After seeing the trailer that feeling was reinforced. Just not my cup of tea.

Seeing the Trailer and reading the Wiki page, I no doubt have no interest in this movie. At all. I just don't see this as a story I would be interested in.

I'll pass until Netflix. I have read the synopsis and understand the 'twist ending' but I have to say that as a movie being marketed for families and children, it sounds incredibly violent.

I have read the synopsis and understand the 'twist ending' but I have to say that as a movie being marketed for families and children, it sounds incredibly violent.

It's not a "twist ending;" it's an alternate accounting of the shipwreck that Pi tells the investigators when they don't believe his story about the tiger and the floating island. In the film, we don't see any of the alternate account play out on screen. It's just the camera focused on the actor for one several-minute shot while he recounts the bare-bones outline.

The investigators accept this second story because it fits their preconceptions. Both the book and the movie leave it ambiguous as to which account, if any, is actually true. Which is, ultimately, the whole point.

I went to see it on Sunday and loved it.

I'll pass until Netflix. I have read the synopsis and understand the 'twist ending' but I have to say that as a movie being marketed for families and children, it sounds incredibly violent.

You should really give it a chance and see it in the theater. It's some excellent story telling which will leave you thinking about it days later. I'm going to see it again in 3D. I went 2D on my first viewing since I'm not a big fan of the 3D stuff, but I think this film was really made for 3D.

It's not a "twist ending;" it's an alternate accounting of the shipwreck that Pi tells the investigators when they don't believe his story about the tiger and the floating island. In the film, we don't see any of the alternate account play out on screen.

I didn't see it as an alternate ending but ...
spoliers:

it was the truth he finally revealed. the embellished story we saw was his coping mechanism to deal with what really happened which was pretty sick and sad. If you look back pretty much every event after the shipwreck was a metaphor for something else.
At first I too thought he was telling the Japanese guys what they wanted to hear so they would just leave but as he went further along I could tell what he was then telling them is what really happened.

The impossible discovery of the tooth in the flower on the floating island alone was when I knew something was up and it represented his conscious realization that he needed to leave behind canabalism or be okay with that forever. When the zebra (japanese sailor) succumbed to his injures the tiger (Pi) ate him. when the hyena was killed (the cook played by a very fat Gérard Depardieu) that food source would last a while! :D And remember his final story of why the Hyena was killed by Pi... the hyena (cook) killed the orangutan (Pi's mother)
Pi's need to stay away from the boat wasn't to be away from the tiger as he is the tiger, but to stay away from the human decay and canabalism and the violence we later realize happened there. the whole story was his way of coping in order to survive.
its not so much about what story do you believe but if this was you and happened to you what story would you want to believe... (and live with) and that was the point

Last edited:
I would have preferred the no-nonsense horror movie version over the fantasy story.

well then here is some "food" for thought:

When the "hyena" appears and attacks and takes chunks out of the "zebra" the zebra is still very much alive! ... and screaming! :sick if that doesn't make a kid go deep within to his happy place then nothing will! :eek

makes for a different movie when you realize what all the metaphors cover up... not a kids movie so why was it marketed as a family fun bring your kids flick? :wacko

Meh, had free passes, walked out and went to see Breaking Dawn lol.

don't blame ya... it was a real slow movie and almost lost me too. I appreciated the game changer at the end but its a renter for sure. the visual spfx are stunning though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back