Farscape Movie News

CB2001

Master Member
I figured I'd go ahead and start this thread. I'm a fan of Farscape, and I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen the show if not heard of it. Well, recently, there was a post made in relation to a possible Farscape movie. Now, before anyone says anything, Rockne S. O'Bannon stated in an interview about Defiance that a Farscape movie was still likely (I can't remember where the article is, but I suspect it may have been for Blastr). So, it's hard to say what is speculation and what could be legit.

Recently, there's been a bit of a news about a Farscape movie script being written. It comes from this website and the article below. It's hard to say if the script is for an actual feature-length movie or a TV movie.

---------------

Monjo pens HBO pilot, Farscape movie
[Fri 21/02/2014 09:46:32]

By Don Groves

Game of Thrones’ Peter Dinklage is in talks to star in the pilot for an HBO series scripted by Sydney-based Justin Monjo and produced by Ben Stiller’s Red Hour Films.

The prolific Monjo is also writing the screenplay for Farscape, a movie spin-off of the sci-fi series that ran on the Nine Network and the Sci-Fi Channel in the US, for Jim Henson Productions, to be directed by Brian Henson.

Dinklage would play a dwarf detective in The Beasts of Valhalla, based on a series of novels by the late George C. Chesbro. Monjo read the books years ago but could not think of an actor who was right for the role of the sleuth named Mongo until he saw Dinklage in Game of Thrones.

“It’s a grounded sci-fi series,” says Monjo, who flies to New York next month to discuss the project with Dinklage, with whom he has corresponded. “HBO and Red Hour think he’s the perfect guy for the part and are very excited about the project.” The intention would be to shoot the one-hour series in 2016 after Dinklage finishes Game of Thrones.

Monjo was one of the writers on Farscape, which ran from 1998-2002, followed by the 2004 miniseries Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars, co-produced by Jim Henson Productions and RHI Entertainment.

In the finale, the protagonists, American astronaut John Crichton (Ben Browder) and peacekeeper Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black) got married and had a baby. In the movie, it’s revealed the boy had special powers which made him the target of the villainous aliens so his parents hide him on Earth.

The plot follows the kid at the age of 19 when his whereabouts have been discovered and he rejoins his parents on their spaceship. Monjo says the film would be shot in Australia.

Born in New York, he came to Australia 25 years ago on a grant to study acting at NIDA. “I did a lot of acting but most of the time they were boring jobs,” he says.

He’s one of the writers on The Code, Playmaker Media’s thriller about a murder in the Outback which thrusts two brothers into an international political conspiracy, for ABC1.

His credits include INXS: Never Tear Us Apart (co-written with Dave Warner), two segments of Tim Winton’s The Turning, Paper Giants: Magazine Wars, Serangoon Road, Rush and the plays Romeo is Bleeding, That Eye, The Sky and Cloudstreet, adapted from Tim Winton’s novel, co-written with Nick Enright.

He has learned to be patient with screenplays, noting that some have been in development for years. Among his projects are an adaptation of Winton’s Dirt Music, which Phil Noyce was attached to direct; Cane, a big-budget family animated film for Animal Logic and executive producer Robert Luketic; Jungle, adapted from Yossi Ghinsberg’s book about being lost in the Amazon for producer Dana Lustig; and Strange Object, a horror film being developed with Screen West’s assistance.

“TV is so much saner (than film) because they actually make things,” he says.

----------------

Also, there is this site here talking about the report of the script as well.

Farscape Movie Is In the Works and Peter Dinklage is Set to Star in Another HBO Series!
by STUBBY THE ROCKET

It turns out that if.com slid a gem past the world today, announcing that screenwriter Justin Mondo is penning two projects that are bound to make SFF fans lose their minds.

You know, just another show starring Peter Dinklage and a Farscape television movie. No big deal.

Monjo is said to be writing a show that would star Dinklage as a dwarf detective for HBO. The series would be produced by Ben Stiller’s production company, Red Hour. Dinklage is currently in talks for the show, which would be titled The Beasts of Valhalla, based on a series of books by George C. Chesbro. Monjo had Dinklage in mind before he started writing, so let’s hope that works out!

And then, you know... there’s that Farscape movie thing.

It turns out that Monjo has also written a screenplay for what would likely be a Farscape television movie. Set to follow the awesome comics written by our favorite Keith R.A. DeCandido, the film would follow John and Aeryn’s son, D’Argo (or Little D, as we will always refer to him). Because their baby was exhibiting a set of interesting powers that made him a magnet for galactic villains, we find that John and Aeryn hide their son on Earth to grow up. Now the kid is 19 and ready to go into space with his parents.

D’Argo in space! With his amazing super parents! And then they could go visit Chiana and Rygel and Noranti...

THEY COULD GO VISIT SCORPIUS.

Don’t hold out on us, world. If we got a Farscape fix more than a decade after it’s final bow, we’d believe in fairies again.

--------------------------

So, I don't know if its true or not. But hearing this makes me feel hopeful. Don't know if its true or if it will proceed, but here's hoping it does and here's the post to reserve space for it. And if nothing come from it, then no harm no foul.

Last edited:
I know there was talk of a web series a few years ago that never went anywhere and I've seen interviews with Gigi where she said she'd come back in a heartbeat. My only concern, really, would be Ben who's not looking so hot these days and how they'd explain it if they didn't bring D'Argo back in light of Anthony Simco's past legal troubles. **edit ** Although, I guess D'Argo died in the Peacekeeper Wars, so that's not really a concern unless they want to do something like John or Chi going nuts and seeing him as a hallucination or something... (please don't do this)

In any event... More adventures in the Unexplored Territories? Yes, please. :)

Last edited:
I know there was talk of a web series a few years ago that never went anywhere and I've seen interviews with Gigi where she said she'd come back in a heartbeat. My only concern, really, would be Ben who's not looking so hot these days and how they'd explain it if they didn't bring D'Argo back in light of Anthony Simco's past legal troubles. **edit ** Although, I guess D'Argo died in the Peacekeeper Wars, so that's not really a concern unless they want to do something like John or Chi going nuts and seeing him as a hallucination or something... (please don't do this)

In any event... More adventures in the Unexplored Territories? Yes, please. :)

About big D and his demise, there is the possibility that he got off the planet. After all, Sikozu and Grunslck were both still alive, could have found him barely alive, and got to the transport pod that the others left in the bay to get off the planet before it got destroyed. They could tie into the Horizons short story that was in the final issue of the Farscape magazine, though the short was written before The Peacekeeper Wars, some of the events described to have happened, such as the Moya crew helping Rygel reclaim his throne, was covered in the Boom! Studio comics, which with the story summary presented, is hinted to be officially canon (even more so since O'Bannon and several of the writers worked on the comic series). D'argo is written to still be alive and having to have lost one of his arms and replaced with a mechanical one (which could have happened during what he thought was his last stand in the miniseries). So, there could be the possibility. In fact, they could also incorporate a lot of aspects from the Horizons story into the movie if they wanted to help convey the changes of the time that Little D wasn't on Moya, such as Pilot getting a new body that allows him to still be connected to Moya but allow for him to go exploring outside of the ship and Chiana meeting the first of her two husbands.

As for Ben, and even more so Claudia, they both don't look as they did since the mini-series. Since the story involves a 19 year-old D'argo Sun-Crichton (aka Deke as they came to call him in the comics), they could write their age into the story as well (in Season 2's The Locket, we've seen them both as old people. They could have Ben and Claudia aged a bit to accommodate the story's timeline. I could imagine a scene where John and Aeryn get into a firefight with some bad guys, with John running and diving for cover, and Aeryn following after him and John telling her, "I'm getting way too old for this."

As for Ben, and even more so Claudia, they both don't look as they did since the mini-series.

Yeah, but Claudia has a voice that can carry AAA games, and so far that hasn't changed much if at all. I could care less about how old they are. I don't discriminate towards old people.

Yeah, but Claudia has a voice that can carry AAA games, and so far that hasn't changed much if at all. I could care less about how old they are. I don't discriminate towards old people.

Neither do I, which is why I said they could incorporate their ages into the new film. Not to mention, John and Aeryn are established characters and should be played by Ben and Claudia, no matter what age they are. It'd be like the original Star Trek movies that have the TOS characters with the original cast. Seriously, imagine what The Wrath of Khan would have been like if they hadn't had Ricardo Montalbán come back for the role because of how old he was. It wouldn't have been the same character and a slap to the fact of the fans. The same is true with any of the TOS characters like Kirk, Spock and company. Just because they were older didn't mean that they couldn't carry on as their characters. I agree, Claudia's voice carries well. And it'd be awesome for both of them, as we as Gigi, Anthony, Lani and others to come back for their roles too (granted, it's a shame that Jonathan Hardy is gone, as Rygel was probably the oldest character in the cast as is said that Hynerians can live for a while. But since the movie may be involving the comics as a part of their canon, he'd probably wouldn't be on Moya anyway, being back on Hyneria to rule it once more after overthrowing his cousin who overthrew him previously.

If the TV movie plot actually starts when the kid is 19, there shouldn't be any problem with Ben and Claudia being a little more grown up :) My parents were old when I was 19, too!

Oh, I hope this happens!

But like OldSkoolEffects, I'm erring on the side of caution.

Though it wouldn't be terrible if it were to be a TV movie (or a few). The Stargate SG-1 films were decent, and the fact that they were TV films helped tie them to the same visual styles as the TV series. So if they were to take that same approach with Farscape, I'd be totally fine with it.

Ben Browder was on an episode of Arrow..... Not quiet in the same shape he once was .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Browder was on an episode of Arrow..... Not quiet in the same shape he once was .....

Again, they can incorporate that into the movie. I mean, William Shatner wasn't the in the same shape as he was in the TV series when it came to everything after The Voyage Home, but that didn't keep him from performing.

If Claudia is in, I'll put up with the pain of watching Farscape ;)

If you need to watch something because of an actress, then you'll be watching the show, the miniseries and the upcoming movie for all the wrong reasons. Trust me, Farscape is one of the best science fiction shows out there (in fact, one TV Guide reviewer stated that the show's cancellation was "just as ill-conceived as NBC's decision to cancel Star Trek.") Trust me, Farscape is great, just give it a chance as a whole and don't just base it on watching it for Claudia Black.

I'm pretty certain that's an old article, if you look at the comments section all of the comments are from 2014. Plus, Rockne S. O'Bannon was not the Creators Panel at Wondercon this year either, I don't think that he was even there at all.

I'm pretty certain that's an old article, if you look at the comments section all of the comments are from 2014. Plus, Rockne S. O'Bannon was not the Creators Panel at Wondercon this year either, I don't think that he was even there at all.

After looking over the article, I realize it doesn't have a date that its posted, but the reply dates list 2014. Sorry for the confusion. :(

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back