"Conan the Barbarian" Jason Momoa SPOILERS

Kerr Avon

Master Member
Anyone else see it or were you all frightened off by the 'pretty boy?' Because Jason Momoa did a HELL of a job as Conan! Gritty and full of blood and gore, an excellent adaption as far as I'm concerned! Lots of T&A and a nice useage of gore.

I saw a point where it looked like they replicated some of the Franzetta paintings. One with Conan on a horse riding under a partially collapsed arch. Any others?

Looks like they tipped the hat to the original Conan film too at one spot. When Conan pulls a heavy chain up to stop a horse in his tracks was right out of the first one.

Also, had no idea Rose McGowan was in this. Her hotness shines through even the nastiest of costumes.

Anyone else see it?

Last edited:
I went to the noon showing of it. I actually really enjoyed it. Jason Mamoa did an awesome job as conan. I loved all the blood, I just wish they emphasized more dismemberment (as weird as that sounds)

The 3D was absolutely useless however. The opening title for clash of the titans had more 3Dness to it then this entire movie.

Also why is it that every single main baddie gets dispatched thoroughly but the chick with the arrows appears and is killed 3 seconds later. I was expecting more from her

Have you seen Stargate Atlantis?

Does he play Ronon the Barbarian?

Sure looks like it in the trailers.

I want to like this but this guy is holding me up. He was just so blah in Atlantis.

"A somewhat less than useful Chewbacca."

I'd like to check it out... came in 4th place for Friday ticket sales so it's got a good chance of flopping from a financial perspective. Not sure if I can make it to the theater for this one unfortunately, not unless I get a day off of work sometime soon.

I think the distribution of the movie is going to kill it more than anything. There was only a couple theatres in my area even showing it, and only one showing it in 2D.

Wow, you're right.. I just checked my local theater, which usually gives a pretty good spread of 2D vs 3D. Not this time.. They've got eight showings today in 3D. Guess how many in 2D? One. WTF.

Looks like the other theater has at least one screen dedicated to Conan 2D, they've got five showings today. I guess we're going there.

I've yet to hear a single good review of the 3D effect in this film, and I usually avoid 3D anyway. You think they'd have learned their lesson. Now I'm curious to see the numbers and analysis.. I'd like to see statistics saying that the 3D showings were barely selling while the 2D showings were standing room only, especially since they've got the distribution this skewed.

As for the movie itself, I was reading the RottenTomatoes user reviews yesterday, and they were quite mixed. But the people who hated it seemed to believe that this was a remake of the '82 film, and thus were disappointed by it. The reviewers who had actually read Howard, and were aware that the movie wasn't related in any way to the '82 film, seemed to like it quite a bit, and said that it "felt" much more like a real Conan film than the Arnie version did.

Come on. The editing in this movie was atrocious. The acting was terrible. How many times does Momoa change his accent? He speaks perfect english when he's joking around. Then, he has the husky low voice when something important needs to be said. How many times do we need to see a character look at the camera with the "wha..." look on their face? When Conan is on a horse battling a bad guy in one scene, the next scene the two of them aren't even near eachother. What happened?? The sand people??? Ridiculous. Didn't even make sense. Rose Mcgowan...hot....but terrible in this movie. Way too much overacting. Little Conan...come on. His dad's last words are, well, you can barf yourselves when you hear them. And watching him running around reminded me too much of little Boba Fett. If you saw the horrendous remake of Clash of the Titans, this is the same bad acting and looks almost like the same film. I haven't walked out of too many films in my time, but this one was real close. I should have left after the first 5 minutes. Sure, there were a few good gore scenes and nudity, but the rest of the film made up for that. I watched the old Conan the Barbarian last week before seeing this, and Arnold's holds up way better.
Blecch. I want my money back. Glad I didn't waste more on the 3d version.

I wanted to like it so bad... but I think it's the second worst movie I've seen this year, being 'Skyline' the worst of the worst. I didn't get any 'Robert E. Howard' feel as they say nor in the character or in the world. It had some beautiful landscapes and nice sword fights, but stupid characters, stupid story, stupid bad guys, really crappy soundtrack... and Momoa really makes a completely boring and weak Conan. But Momoa is not the real problem of the movie. It would have been awful with any other actor, including Arnold. This is an 'Scorpion King' or 'Dungeons & Dragons' quality movie, with a bit of 'Eragon' in it. Feels so direct to dvd...

I envy those who enjoyed it, I really wanted to see a good Conan movie again, but this one is not for me u_u

Well, maybe in another 30 years they try again.

Sigh.

That's what sucks, those of us who crave a worthy interpretation of the REH "yarns" are looking at many years for any try.

Why there is no animated DVD films either I don't know. Seems with the success of DC and Marvel animated DVDs that Conan would be a natural.

I heard some years ago they were making an animated film based upon 'Red Nails', but I don't know what happened to it

Here's how you make Conan in today's environment.

Full animated, motion capture like the new Apes.

Art Direction by Boris Vallejo. Then Conan could look exactly like we've come to know him.

Anything else is lacking and always will be.

I watched the old Conan the Barbarian last week before seeing this, and Arnold's holds up way better.
Blecch. I want my money back. Glad I didn't waste more on the 3d version.

Ahnold the muscle bound man who talked like he was mentally retarded, sorry, he was no Conan, he was a parody of Conan.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back