Blacksparrow Auctions - The Hunger Games - Auction Review

I received Blacksparrow Auctions, "The Hunger Games" limited edition hardcover auction catalog a few days ago and wrote a review of this excellent catalog. Here is the review. Some of the code gave me a problem so a few photos are missing but I posted all of the article within my post as is required by the RPF :thumbsup.

On November 16th, Blacksparrow Auctions is holding an unprecedented auction of original screen used costumes from the hit film, "The Hunger Games" starring Academy Award winning actress, Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen.

The auction of over 200 original costumes and accessories from the hit film, is taking place November 16th in California at 10888 La Tuna Canyon Road, Suite “L”, Sun Valley, CA 91352. Interested fans and bidders can attend the auction live and bid in person, by phone, and by internet.

When I heard of this auction I decided to order the limited edition hardcover edition of the auction catalog from Blacksparrow Auctions. I recently received the catalog, and am very impressed with it. Here is my review of this hardcover limited edition.

The auction catalog arrived by FedEx in a really creative outer shipping box that had the Blacksparrow logo applied to the outside:

HungerCatBox.jpg

Upon opening up the large shipping box, I noticed neatly wrapped white paper covering the catalog. To my surprise I not only received the hardcover limited edition auction catalog, but also included was the mini hard cover book, "The World of The Hunger Games", and "The Hunger Games: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion" as bonuses for ordering early :).

HungerGamesCat.jpg

Both of these books come in handy as in the back of the auction catalog is an Appendix which references each costume being auctioned:

HungerGamesBooks.jpg

HungerGamesCatAppendix-982x1024.jpg

Upon opening the auction catalog I noticed a special envelope with an invitation to a reception along with information on a food drive for The Los Angeles Regional Food Bank charity:

HungerGamesInsideInvitationS-1024x554.jpg

HungerGamesInvite.jpg

HungerGamesInviteClose.jpg

The photography of the costume lots is presented beautifully with clear, very large photos of each lot:

HungerGamesLargeCatPics.jpg

HungerGamesCatDress.jpg

HungerGamesCat2.jpg

Another extra cool thing I noticed in the catalog was Blacksparrow Auctions donating lot # 28, Capitol Girls "Make a Wish" Dress, to the actual "Make a Wish Foundation" recipient who wore the costume in the film. In the lots place, added to the catalog is lot # 226, Katniss' Mom Reaping Shoes. The proceeds from this lot are going to be donated to the "Make a Wish Foundation" itself. Pretty darn cool of Blacksparrow Auctions.

The auction can be viewed at liveauctioneers and icollector.

Don't forget, Blacksparrow is also taking part in a food drive with The Los Angeles Regional Food Bank to provide meals to families in need, so be sure to donate!

*Some content© Lionsgate, Entertainment Minute, Movie Prop Collectors and their respective owners.

Last edited:
I am surprised that there is only like 4 bids total so far in the auction. It goes live in like 3 days too. Guess that it's not big on anyone list or they just don't have much that anyone wants. A bunch of city outfits and a very few main character ones. I like one thing, but I know I'll get owned by Daddy warbucks in bidding.

I am surprised that there is only like 4 bids total so far in the auction. It goes live in like 3 days too. Guess that it's not big on anyone list or they just don't have much that anyone wants. A bunch of city outfits and a very few main character ones. I like one thing, but I know I'll get owned by Daddy warbucks in bidding.

You're wrong about that Monkey67.

As I said to Mark from The Prop Stop six days ago, on November 8th:
....However, at this moment on liveauctioneers, the are over 50 bids, 32 on page 1, and 20 on page 2, for a total of 52 bids when you choose 100 lots per page.

I am guessing there more bids than the 50 from almost a week ago.

I would still argue this is a very niche auction overall. You either liked the film or you didnt. Maybe you like the actress.

Then you still have the high opening bid to hurdle over.

The Hunger Games Auction featured on OMG Insider and GoodDayLa

I noticed a few press stories about the Blacksparrow Auctions upcoming "The Hunger Games Auction", being held this Saturday, November 16th.

GoodDayLA, featured a story today (Thursday, Nov 14th), on Blacksparrow Auctions upcoming, “The Hunger Games Auction“, being held November 16th, The auction of over 200 original costumes and accessories from the hit film, is taking place November 16th in California at 11am PT.

GoodDayLA.jpg

I watched the film again tonight on Netflix and found myself looking at the costumes more and though I am not a “costume person” thought, ” I think I will bid on a few items, so look out fellow bidders ;) .

The upcoming auction (only one more day till bidding time!) was also mentioned on OMGInsider Tuesday night.

Interested fans and bidders can attend the auction live and bid in person, by phone, and by internet.

GoodDayLA2.jpg

*Some content© Lionsgate, Movie Prop Collectors, and their respective owners

Hmmm, they might have a 100 overall. i did it at 100 per a page on icollector. Still not looking like a massive aucion like most ones are. Most bids are at the starting price. which in my eyes is someone is trying to cover the field in hopes to snagging one or making it look like people are all about it. Who knows it could be a frenzy when then auction starts. good luck if your bidding in it.

I would still argue this is a very niche auction overall.

I sometimes get a good laugh when you post Mark :).

Of course it's a niche auction. Just like many other auctions. LOST, Star Trek, James Bond, etc. Many of which were very successful. I don't recall reading here were anyone was arguing about it :confused.

You either liked the film or you didnt. Maybe you like the actress.

True you either liked the film or didn't, which is true for any film or genre. Which actress are you talking about? There were a few in the movie.

Then you still have the high opening bid to hurdle over.

You weren't clear with your comment Mark. You said "the" high opening bid, which makes it seem like you are talking about one item. In general, the majority of the opening bids are low, starting at $100, $200, and $300. There are of course some with higher opening bids but the majority of lots in the auction are not high, at least to me.

.....A bunch of city outfits and a very few main character ones. I like one thing, but I know I'll get owned by Daddy warbucks in bidding.

I watched the movie again the other day with catalog in hand and the only major costume I could find missing was one Effie dress. Over 95% of the main characters costumes from the film seem to be represented in the auction.

Good luck on the costume you are bidding on Monkey67. Don't give up on the costume you want. You might win it.

Mark, are you bidding? I'm thinking of bidding on a few items.

Either way, we will find out tomorrow how things go, which is anyone's guess :).

I'm not bidding in this auction. Not that big of a fan of the movie. Plus I found some other items I really would love to add. So rather use my funds on those incase I need them.

Good luck to all that bid. Hope you get what you're after. I was looking at Clove's items. I kinda like that character in the story. Ruthless knife throwing badass.

Oh ok, I thought you mentioned you were interested in bidding. Good to sometimes save money too ;).

I have a feeling that some of the Katniss items will go very high. Especially since the film was a hit, Jennifer Lawrence is a very good actress who's also an Academy Award winner, as well as the film being the first of what is reported to be four films being made based on the very popular books.

No I had no bone in this race.

As I said on the MPF I clearly dont know anything about this hobby. But take a straw poll and no one would have seen these results.

Its like Luke and the Xwing...I just don't believe it.

Oh...on the subject of niche...I just meant that nobody in the community really has been talking about it or bidding on it.

I think these are all the people who were drawn by Fongs masterful stroke of having his roadshow.

MPF and RPF members. Just didnt seem that into it.

I was kinda worried about the auctions coming up the next few months....I guess I dont need to be. Seems I've been watching FAR too many Premiereprops auctions.

Prices on some of these pieces are insane! We just snagged one piece that Kristen wanted... paid way more than we wanted to, but she wanted it... I am sure we will have pics in a week or two.

WOW! Just WOW! As the owner of several famous sci-fi dresses I can tell you 1. I never saw that coming...and 2. The red Katniss Interview dress will never retain its value. That was a bidding WAR!!! $250,000 for it! INSANE!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh sorry...$250,000 PLUS BP and taxes

I am with you. We are standing here, mouthes agape at that price. Congrats, Fong. No matter what else you do, for your first big auction, that is nothing less than crazy amazing.

That catalog is better quality than some movie art books you can buy lol. I didn't think the movie had so many fans that the prices would go like that.

No doubt Art! J-Law fever!!! I can't wait to see the prices on those last few Katniss costumes featuring Mocking Jay pins...Yes Congrats Fong, I bet Joe is sweating big time...

Last edited:
Lot #141: The Hunger Games COstume Auction Katniss Fire Dress sells for $300,000!

This just in:

Lot #141: The Katniss Interview Dress from The Hunger Games with a Start Price of $10,000.00 has just sold for $250,000 hammer. Factoring in $50,000 buyers premium or BP, the total is an astounding $300,000!

FireDress250K1.jpg

Attachments

• Lot141KarDress1.png
    Lot141KarDress1.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 154
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back