Yup! Another Dredd 2012 build...Tutorial PG 2

Tarchinoko

hey everyone! my brother convinced me to make him a dredd costume for this years halloween... good thing the badges only have last names so i can use the costume too :lol anyways so im trying to make the costume on a budget. That means FOAM and lots of it, i also have some worbla to play around with as well as a cheap toy glock 17 to convert.

DAY 1 OF BUILD:
Bunch of templates are made as pepakura files for easy scaling! this includes templates for the vest, all the armor and the shoulder pauldrons and the helmet is done! thanks for JF customs for his unfold of this file :D

1120103_546150488771899_897746520_o.jpgIMG_0014.JPGIMG_0015.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Yup! Another Dredd 2012 build....

I've not yet seen Pepakura files for the vest and shoulders. Are these available? Did you purchase them?

Thanks for any info!

Re: Yup! Another Dredd 2012 build....

I've not yet seen Pepakura files for the vest and shoulders. Are these available? Did you purchase them?

Thanks for any info!

didnt purchase! made simple ones myself from reference photos, its mainly templates for foam building but i put it up on 4shared so feel free to download! :D

back plate templates - Download - 4shared
chest template 2 - Download - 4shared
chest template1 - Download - 4shared
shoulder 2 - Download - 4shared
shoulder pauldron base - Download - 4shared
vest templates - Download - 4shared

for the shoulder armor the files make the base, you then layer thinner foam for the eagle detail which isnt included in the file but should be easy to add :)

Re: Yup! Another Dredd 2012 build.... INCLUDES TEMPLATES

day two! i have all the chest and back armor made from foam and have the templates for the vets cut out and ready to use! Ive also fully sealed the helmet. now for the worbla step and the shoulders to be made! :D

20130823_181050.jpg

okay so days 3 and 4 have been spent on making a few more armour pieces while i wait for my spacer fabric! I have covered the chest armour in worbla to give it a more rigid armour feel, also it gives it a nice surface texture that resembles leather! I also worked on the right shoulder and have the shoulder pieces done! I made my own paper template by hand and simply heat formed it over my knee to make the seashell shoulder armour. Used a similar method to make the knee and elbow pads as well, now all thats left on the list before painting is to make the right shoulder, shin armour and belt buckle :D

IMG_1067.JPGIMG_1068.JPGIMG_1078.JPGIMG_1079.JPG

Last edited:

okay so i just finished the eagle shoulder pauldron! I decided to make my own templates on paper rather than use my pepakura file as this way I would be able to make them out of one piece that I heat formed over my knee instead of lots of smaller pieces with seams. I drew out the templates on folded paper so that I could make a symmetrical template. Once the base for the shoulders was done I went back to the paper template and drew on the finer detail and used that as a new template for the thinner foam to add the finer details! I then scribed all the lines in with a Biro! :D

Im pretty proud of it myself :3 turned out quite well!

20130830_004850.jpg20130830_184208.jpg20130830_231354.jpg20130831_155814.jpg20130831_155823.jpg

Update time again! My mesh fabric still hasnt arrived :( boooo
but Ive now finished all the armour pieces including the shin pads which i made a simple pepakura file for!
So now im moving onto making the collar and the leather gauntlets
but until those are done I give you WIP pics!

20130903_124815_2.jpg20130903_131646.jpgIMG_1198.JPGIMG_1210.JPG

Last edited:

That looks incredible! I can't wait to see what you do for the collar!

Thanks! If I had more time I would make my own ribbed leather, but because I don't I plan to make it using corduroy and pleather

Those pauldrons came out really nicely. Great work man.

Those pauldrons came out really nicely. Great work man.

compliments on my foam work mean a LOT coming from you drack, thank you!

side note, my mesh fabric has arrived! unfortunately only a day before I go abroad for a language course so i wont be finishing this costume before october :(

This build is really inspirational! I've never built a costume before, and plan on starting my own DREDD 3D soon. Being young an not having much money to spend on this, your method looks perfect for what I'd like to do! How much do you think you've spent so far?

well if you decide not to use worbla itll knock about 30 USD off the price, id say maybe around 20-30 USD spent so far on foam sheets and acrylic paint then add maybe another 30 for strapping materials and the mesh spacer fabric for making the vests and thatll be about it! But keep in mind that this costume requires you to have a leather jacket under the armour and the vest so if you dont already have one that can seriously add to the cost

well if you decide not to use worbla itll knock about 30 USD off the price, id say maybe around 20-30 USD spent so far on foam sheets and acrylic paint then add maybe another 30 for strapping materials and the mesh spacer fabric for making the vests and thatll be about it! But keep in mind that this costume requires you to have a leather jacket under the armour and the vest so if you dont already have one that can seriously add to the cost

Oh yes, I'm aware of all the other parts but even so, $30 for all the armor is fantastic! I need to go thrift-shopping for the jacket/pants/gloves/boots, and haven't quite figured out what to do about the vest. Speaking of which, what are your plans for the vest?

I'm trying to spend about $500 total (I know that's not a lot) which is why your work is so appealing!

I made templates for the vest into pepakura files which are up for download in this thread! my vest plan is to but 4mm spacer fabric and sewing that onto a lining of black silk like material with a sewing machine, then hand sew the armor plates onto it using some thin leather cord. You also need to buy a large zipper to connect the vest. You also need black combat boots and some black jeans. Unfortunately Im on a language course now and so I wont be making any progress on this for another 3 weeks or so :(
500 should easily be enough for the whole costume! as long as you make a lot of it yourself

I'm considering working on this costume as well. As far as the vest carrier goes; what type of mesh fabric would be good to use for it, if I want to make my own vest?

I'm considering working on this costume as well. As far as the vest carrier goes; what type of mesh fabric would be good to use for it, if I want to make my own vest?

the mesh has been identified and it is called mesh spacer fabric, there is a thread here on therpf listing a US distributor if you have a quick search for it :)

the mesh has been identified and it is called mesh spacer fabric, there is a thread here on therpf listing a US distributor if you have a quick search for it :)
Sweet! Thanks, I didn't know what to call it. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back