WIP: Isaac Clarke's Engineering Rig from Dead Space 2

thorssoli

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I started this project a couple of months ago and now I'm finally at a point where I'm willing to post pictures of it. Here's a reference:

I've started with the helmet. In order to make sure I had a good dome shape to start with, I stripped the padding out of a child-sized, open-faced motorcycle helmet. With the padding removed, there's lots of room inside. Then I stuck it on top of a sculpting armature:

Over the top of the helmet I started sculpting the separate panels in clay:

Once I had roughed out a few of the general shapes, I cut some card stock to give me an idea of how to form up the faceplate:

Using the card stock as a template, I formed the faceplate by heating up some thick styrene sheet and forming them over the side of a bucket to get a uniform curve. Here's the beginning:

The whole thing was formed with two layers of 1/8" styrene for a base, then a variety of details cut from thinner sheet stock. I also used a bit of bondo here and there to fill in some spots and smooth things out. Here's the result with a coat of primer:

In order to make it shiny and smooth, I went ahead and sprayed it with gloss pink:

I also continued to refine the details at the back of the helmet:

The sides too:

I've still got a bit of tweaking left to do, but then it'll be time to mold this guy.

The plan is to rotocast the dome and cast the faceplate separately. This way the helmet can be smaller and more form-fitting while still making it possible to get your head in and out.

I'm also planning on vacforming the bulk of the other parts of the costume with resin cast detail parts as needed.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
So yesterday I finished making tiny changes to the sculpt for the dome. Mostly I added a ridge around the brow and notches along the sides so that the faceplate would mate up properly to the rest of the helmet:
I also finished fixing up the details on the back of the helmet, but I neglected to take any pictures of them before I started slathering them with grape-scented plurple goo.

Here's the beginning of the pouring for the faceshield:

And coating the dome:

Here's the faceshield after the print coat had started to set up:

Same for the dome:

Here's the first coat of thickened pink silicone on the faceplate:

And the dome with a nice thick coat of pink silicone:

Today I'll be adding at least one more coat of pink thixotropic silicone over everything as well as a few pieces of some recently retired molds to act as registration keys. Then it'll all get another coat of plurple to smooth it out.

Stay tuned...

Awesome work! I'm in awe of you guys that scratch-build costume parts.

I totally want to do something down the line that would be worthy of casting. For now, I'm just happy to be muddling along with my simplistic pep building! :lol

More pink goop today. Here's the dome:

And the faceplate:

In order to smooth it out to mate up better with the mothermold, I went ahead and added another layer of plurple (pourable) silicone over the pink (brushable) layer. It came out like so:

Tomorrow I'll be making the fiberglass mothermold for the outside of the faceplate. I'll also be flipping the dome portion upside-down so I can add some more silicone to reinforce the areas around the edges.

If all goes according to plan, I'll also get the jacket mold for the back side of the faceshield done tomorrow. That way I can make mothermolds on Wednesday and have casts coming out of the molds by Thursday.

Wish me luck and stay tuned...

EDIT: Just noticed that it's 1am here, so it's already tomorrow. The Wednesday and Thursday timeline is still the plan though.

great work so far

and is that a republic commando helmet i spy over there on the right? (it almost looks like my imperial commando helmet even, but i guess it would covered with pink goop)...

EDIT: ah, I see it's a republic commando on (just found your other thread)

Last edited:
Minor update:

I turned the dome upside down yesterday:

After trimming off the drips, I reinforced the outside edges of the dome as planned:

Today I'll be making the mother mold as planned and get started on molding the back of the faceplate. Stay tuned...

You make me a very happy panda with your daily posts. Keep up the good work!

I saw a pretty stellar styrene build on the 405th forum for Issac's rig, but I think I like your exaggerated approach much more. It's a lot more defined.

-Arcko

Thank you for the kind words. With the shortage of comments I was wondering if anyone was reading this thread.

Made the fiberglass mothermold for the outside of the faceplate today:

Then I flipped it over:

After cleaning the clay out of the inside, it looked a lot better:

Then I coated it with mold release and slathered it all with plurple rubber:

To get the rubber to hang on the vertical surfaces, I made another layer of thicker pink silicone:

That's as far as I got on the faceplate mold today. I should be able to finish that mold in the next day or so. I also went ahead and made the mothermold for the dome portion of the helmet.

Tomorrow I'll be cleaning up the edges of the mother mold and drilling the two halves so I can bolt them together. Then I'll pull the clay sculpt out and rotocast a few copies of the helmet. While I'm doing that, I'll be finishing up the inside of the faceshield mold so I can pour a few casts of that as well.

Once I've got some good casts, I'll probably start a thread in the junkyard to help pay for the rest of the project.

Ohhh, so that's how you're going to handle the cast. From the thickness of it, I thought you were gonna slush cast it to save on the resin. Either way, let me know about the cost of the pulls, if the price is right then I would definitely be interested in getting at least the front plate from you.

Keep it up! :cool

-Arcko

Today I pried the two halves of the helmet mothermold apart:

Then peeled the rubber jacket off of the original sculpt:

Naturally the sculpt did not survive this process.

Then I left the jacket inside-out to let it air out for a while:

I used that time to clean up "Isaac" the sculpting armature and make him ready for the next project:

Then I reassembled the mold parts and made a quick rotocast copy of the helmet:

Here's the first cast once I'd pulled it from the mold:

Clearly it needs some padding to keep it up where it belongs.

With that done, now all I have to do is revisit the mold for the faceplate. I decided this morning that the rubber on the inside was still too thin, so I added another layer of pink stuff. I'd post a picture, but there's not much of a difference between the way it looked today and the way it looked at the end of today.

I'll be out of the workshop for a couple of days, but once I get back I'll be making the fiberglass shell to go inside the faceplate mold. Hopefully I'll have the first pull from that mold sometime on Sunday.

Stay tuned...

Today I finished the faceplate mold:

Once I had the first cast out of the mold I couldn't resist the urge to try it on:

Then I gave the whole thing a quick shot of black primer:

Then a coat of Model Masters Metalizer in "magnesium"

I've also formed blue tinted acrylic to fit the slots in the faceshield.

Here's a detail shot showing the back of the helmet:

Again I'll be posting a sale thread in the Junkyard if anyone's interested.

This turned out pretty good in the end, well done. This is a costume I have kicked around starting this winter (the yellow version) since I felt the suit armor was doable for me. The helmet was what has been scaring me off though.

This turned out pretty good in the end, well done. This is a costume I have kicked around starting this winter (the yellow version) since I felt the suit armor was doable for me. The helmet was what has been scaring me off though.

Thank you.

The paintjob is nowhere near to being done, but I'm pretty proud of it so far. I also have yet to install the lighting.

If you'd like a raw cast of the helmet, I'll be selling the three-piece kit (dome, faceshield, and acrylic insert) for $225 shipped within the US.

Looks like a real clean first pull out of there. :thumbsup Not too shabby.

Good idea on the padding too, you were starting to look like a TF2 soldier!

-Arcko

so many great projects your working on at the same time!

I'm also working on some HALO stuff that I'm posting over at 405th.com too...

Regarding this project: yesterday I fitted magnets to the faceplate:

In the process I also tried to shake hands with one of my Forstner bits:

Again.

Then, even though it's too early in paintjob to do any weathering, I went ahead and did a black wash over the whole thing:

The first cast has a few trouble spots, but I'm still planning on finishing the paintjob on it just so I can reassure myself that the paintjob will look right when I've finished it. Then I'll paint three more of them. One for me, one for the guy that asked me to do this build, and one for the eBay.

Stay tuned...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back