Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor - NEW SUIT DONE Pics on p.17

Re: Vacformed Warhammer 40k Space Marine Armor

The backpack is coming along. I had a few friends helping out in the workshop yesterday, so I concentrated on the ball vents:

One of the other guys glasses some reinforcements into the shoulder forms:

He also spent a lot of time screwing around:

I taught my friend Breana how to mix Bondo so she could smooth out the forming buck for the upper cowling:

I'm planning on cutting the vent holes into the formed piece rather than cut them into the form. That way I can make different variations when I make the pulls.

The whole thing is going to make for a fairly large piece and the long-awaited finishing touch for this project:

Stay tuned...

That's it. I need to build a shop in the backyard. My little 1 car garage doesn't have enough room for me to try and be as awesome as you are Thorssoli

Yeah, now that things are starting to take shape (read: the hard part is done) folks are getting more interested in helping out. Unfortunately, they tend to be available on weekends and I usually am not.

Today I did some smoothing and added a few details to the ball vent:

Tell me honestly, does this suit make my butt look big?

But seriously, these dudes are going to be four feet wide:

But wait, there's more!

Today I did a bit more rough shaping for the pistol grip. Here's a shot of how it stands right now (hand included for scale):

I also finished the other half of the cowling for the top of the backpack, but I neglected to get pics. I should have some forming help tomorrow evening, so with a bit of luck I'll be able to crank out a couple more shoulders, mold the ball vent, and build the middle portion of a backpack. Then I just need to make the small lower vents for the backpack and get focused on the bendy parts.

Stay tuned...

Thorssoli

The build just gets better and better.

A very minor point and probobly makes no difference but on your picture of the bells the slats run front to back but yours run side to side.

I've alwyas wondered what they are for as the jump packs are different.

on your picture of the bells the slats run front to back but yours run side to side.

Ah dammit.

Um, I mean, no, the picture was the MkVII mod A pack and I'm making the MkVII mod B variant...

Yeah. That's the ticket.

Good catch. I'm probably going to run with it, but I'll still feel kinda stupid for doing it sideways.

Last night I had a couple of the guys over and we made some shoulders:

After a quick trimming, we had them cleaned up and ready for costuming:

Then we moved on to making backpack parts:

Trimming and assembly went much smoother than I'd expected:

The worst part was a bit of webbing on the front piece, but it will be obscured behind the character's back and shoulder:

Here's a shot of it stacked together with the ball vent prototype:

And me holding it for scale:

The absolute best part though, is how ridiculously heavy it's not:

All I need to do now is cobble together forming bucks for the lower vents and mold the ball vents. Then make templates for the cutouts on the back of the cowling.

Today I'm not feeling well, so I'm going to be taking it easy, staying in, and sculpting the last bits of the fingers. Stay tuned...

That is some great progress, lovin how it's coming together :thumbsup

Hope you feel better soon dude, just take it easy and don't over do it.

so sick, what is the vactable?? 24x48?? and how are you heating the plastic???

The forming platen is just under 24"x48" so the frame holds 24"x48" sheets. The oven for heating the plastic hangs from the ceiling above the table.

For more details about the initial build of my vacforming machine, click here: When My Brain Leaks, the Drops Drip Here.: Homemade Vacuum Forming Machine

Sooner or later I'll finish writing an article about the upgrades I've done since I started the build.

This is exactly what a friend of mine wants me to help him build! You guys are doing an excelent job on this and I cant wait to see it finished! :)

I apologize for not posting updates lately, but I've been under the weather and I've been having motivational problems.

Today I finally got back to work on this guy for real (instead of the mild tinkering I've been doing lately) and I ironed out all of the little details I wanted on the grip for the bolt pistol:

It looks ridiculously ginormous in my hand, but it's exactly the right size for the Space Marine's hand:

Looking at the reference images I'm using, the pistol grip for the bolt pistol is the exact same grip used on the other weapons. So it'll fit just fine on the bolter that I started laying out:

Once I mold the pistol grip, I'll be pulling the rest of the pieces for the pistol in the same manner as the chainsword. The main body will be made up of a series of vacfomed pieces with a few cast resin details added on as needed.

On the subject of molding, I started the glove mold for the backpack's ball vent:

I also did the final smoothing on the neck piece:

This part will be slipcast using black latex in much the same manner as a halloween mask. Since I'm making a flexible rubber piece, this means I can get away with using a rigid mold. The best moldmaking material for slipcasting latex is Ultracal 30. Here's the print coat after I'd laid it on:

Here's a shot of the finished mold after it was built up to the proper thickness and reinforced with burlap strips:

It's been pretty cold here these past couple of nights, but I'm hoping that the mold will cure to full strength so I can pull the original sculpt and clean all of the clay out of it, let it dry out, and then start pulling latex copies.

Stay tuned...

I hope you're feeling over the weather soon, LOL... but wow when you kick into gear you sure get alot done. As for the small break in updates you work so much quicker and with extreme quality that a break is necessary once in a while. That said, Welcome back.

After a week of failing to kick this chest congestion thing, I've decided to just accept that this is the way things will be for a while and I'll need to gut through it so I can get things done. Such is life.

I pulled the stone mold for the neckseal yesterday:

I set it out in the sun to dry out, so hopefully I'll be able to pour the first layer of latex today or tomorrow.

I also built up more rubber on the jacket mold for the backpack ball vents:

As long as I was mixing silicone, I went ahead and started the jacket mold for the hands:

Finally, I managed to do a bit more work on the pistol grip:

Stay tuned. Lots of work coming up in the next couple of weeks...

Yeah, that chest crap has been with me for 2 weeks now and I'm just finally starting to not cough every 30 seconds.

Good to see that you're not letting it keep you down.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back