Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - 5/31 update

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - LED eye work

So for what I can tell,id you put the tape on the lens and use the led light, it will reflect the light forward, just need to place the LED at the right angle....it will look like those stickers on the 16 wheelers...

gah damn man my heart sank when i saw that pic... then i read the post haha

still it hurts a little on the inside to see that.

glad it's still progressing ok. This is one thread I eagerly look for updates on.

Connected all six of the painted LED's to the first lens for testing this evening.

Here's a look at the temporary connections on the back side.
7799614766_8f718a3446.jpg

And here's what it looks like powered.
7799613654_98ec4e7e56.jpg

Flip over and here's what the front looks like with no reflector of any kind.
7799612686_c43c518314.jpg

So, I tried out the cheap reflective tape I mentioned yesterday... it sucked. It was less reflective than pure white paper. I think I might do some searching for the kind of things propnoob74 linked to.

Anyway, for tonight's test I opted for a plain white card-stock paper cone.
7799610636_b386b2372d.jpg

And this is what it looks like:
7799609690_ed8899d2e1.jpg

I wanted to get some decent pictures, but photographing lighting like this is difficult and most of the time the cool depth of the lens is totally washed out by the camera and it just looks like it's a plain white light.
7799608644_62d35b2377.jpg

That's not really a very good representation of what it looks like in real life, so I worked on a few other positions, angles and range until I finally got this picture. It's the best example of what it looks like to me - here in my kitchen.
7799606604_593b3f6a2d.jpg

It's not AS bright as I thought it might be... And if you hold the lens at a very high angle you WILL see the LED (if you know what you're looking for.
7799611950_1336f62cd4.jpg

But with all that said, I'm very pleased with the over-all look of the lens and the LED solution for a lighting source. :):thumbsup

Just now seeing this thread. i just went through all 14 pages. you are doing some amazing work. i look forward to more! Subscribed!

Reading what's posted sure is hard sometimes, eh guys! :lol

Anyways, nice work Indiefilmgeek! :thumbsup

Apparently some people can't read and just like looking at pretty pictures :lol :rolleyes

Great work Indie. I know the pics don't do it justice, but I can just imagine how it looks. Keep it up.

Officially purchased my D*con pass this evening. I'll only be there Friday night and Saturday, but some of Dragon*Con is better than NONE of Dragon*Con! :):thumbsup

Anyone that's going to be there, please drop me an email via the Dragon*Con app so we can stay connected during the event.

Hope to see some of you there! :cool

Well Indie, I wish I was going with you to Dragoncon! :cry Maybe next year? I hope to have my WM finished for Comicon Orlando and the Con they hold in Miami...2013.. Maybe have the Steam Punk IM for 2014!!!
Wheew! :sick
I have just cut my War Machine neck seal apart tonight and as much trepidation as I felt tonight for such a weenie piece, must have been ten fold when you cut your face plate off and one hundred times the stress when the molds were being cast! Especially when they demolded and destroyed the master.:wacko
I hugely respect what you have done so far, but now am even more blown away by your innovation, tenacity and yes bravery to make such drastic work a reality!:)
Very excited, found the welder goggles, now on the hunt for lens materials.. would love to find something multifaceted, might be cool looking...
Are you using a resistor for the 6 LEDs? I Didn't read about that so I am assuming not?
Thanks!:cool
M

UPDATE

This thread started as a place to discuss the concept and then morphed into a Work In Progress (WIP) after I agreed to build the helmet for Digitizit (and with his very skilled help!). Following the helmet, we will be working on the rest of the armor. Our goal is to have the FULL SUIT ready for unveiling at Dragon*Con 2013.

If you want to get straight to the build, that starts on PAGE 2. I'll also add links to any posts of particular interest so they are easier to find if you're just perusing.

OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST:
Goggles & lenses for the lite eyes (video)
Using Flowable putty (video)
Cutting the Faceplate off (Video)
Creating an ledge around the helmet opening where the faceplate will sit
Carving details lines into the helmet (Video)
Plastic-coating the foam faceplate armor plates
Faux-bolt heads for the ear area
Creating Custom Helmet Vents
Basic Helmet & Faceplate in primer (LOTS of pics)
Helmet Casting Process and Pictures

What's below is a discussion about this design and other steampunk related references.

Enjoy!

Original First Post: April 2011

So, after seeing Johnnymuffintop's post about this helmet work - which included the By Design Ironman pic (below), I've been desperately fighting the urge to work on a full-size version of this suit.
tumblr_lm8ettqAI31qhpx4lo1_500.jpg

My love of all things steampunk, and the beautiful artwork of this piece makes me want to order some EVA foam and begin working immediately!

...however, I've promised myself that I'd wait until at least the first of the year (after the holidays) to start another project and of all the projects I'd like to do -- and there are MANY-- I just wasn't expecting to be drawn into costuming again this soon.

So, BEFORE I get too involved, I just wondered if there were any Steam punk Iron man builds already making the rounds?

I know there is the famous (or infamous) version from NY Comic Con, which turned out to be a re-purposed movie costume (although still cool).

5065636161_a3e0a57be3.jpg

...but as cool as it is... I'm not sold on that overall look (it seems a little 'thin' and too much like C3-P0 to me). I just don't buy he can kick @ss - if you know what I mean.

I guess it comes down to personal taste, but just like the By Design look MUCH better.

So, has anyone taken this Victorian Era Ironman concept to full costume before? Any good reference pics of a similar themed IM build that you've seen?

I'd love to hear any feed back you all have regarding taking on a project like this.

Thanks! :)

I am slowly working through these posts, I am part of a Professional Costuming Group and we are the first in the UK to have SteamPunk Costumes. I saw several images of a SteamPunk Ironman and was planning at some point to build one. Now I have seen this, I am very much interested in following this WIP to start building mine. I watch with added interest. Keep up the good work.

Indie, I just read a thread from EyeofSauron and he was saying a friend of his had told him to use a dremel and cut off the rounded end of the LED lights to help diffuse the light. This does not harm the LED at all. If you want more diffusion you might want to test it out.

would love to find something multifaceted, might be cool looking...

Oh, that would be very cool! :cool

Regarding resisters... No, the LED's I'm using are powered by the same 3volt battery pack they originally would have been powered by when they were a string of x-mas lights. I just cut them up so they're not your average string. :$

Welcome to the party, CC2116! Jump right in - we'd love to have another build like this going! If you run into any trouble just drop me a note here or via PM. :):thumbsup

Judge Spartan, hadn't thought of that, but it definitely might help out! Only problem I see with that is that I'm using VERY tiny LED's. Honestly, I think the MOST help will be from a better reflective material (some sort of safety cloth they use on backpacks and running shoes maybe). :unsure

And just for fun, here is a picture of me and my helmet after I roughly cut the faceplate hole out tonight. For those of you receiving your copies of these, remember to wear not only a breathing mask, but also a hat and clothes you don't mind getting covered in white resin dust! :rolleyes

7828559650_4e98e229b4.jpg

Got my cast the other day and just opened it, what a fantastic job!

I won't get to it before D*con and after that I'll need a few weeks to recover :p

But WOW, really a big wow for the level of work that went into this!

And a great packing job too, no way this wasn't going to arrive safe and sound.

Got my cast the other day and just opened it, what a fantastic job!

I won't get to it before D*con and after that I'll need a few weeks to recover :p

But WOW, really a big wow for the level of work that went into this!

And a great packing job too, no way this wasn't going to arrive safe and sound.

I'm really happy you're happy with it - and I can't wait to see what you create with it when you fully recover from D*con. You just have to promise to keep your amazing Steampunk Ironman suit home for D*con 2013... That's when we're 'premiering' my full suit on Digitizit. :love

Just a quick update as it's been a while since my last post.

I've tried just about everything I can think of to get the 180 degree pipe turn for the sides of the cheeks. There's just no good way of making that happen. So, last night (home sick with Strep Throat) I sat down and whittled a block of wood into this...
7853052168_6fcc2c3a95.jpg

And, yes, it's not a simple 180 degree turn, it also has a dip in it.
7853053648_d24e7bfd7f.jpg

It matches what I tried to model in 3D fairly closely. Now, I just need use the heat gun and curve the PVC pipes into shape, glue all the pieces together, prime it and then putty and sand it smooth - so it looks like one solid piece.

Then I can cast the thing to make two perfect copies! (or more if anyone else wants copies). :):thumbsup

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back