"Sam" from the movie 'Trick 'r Treat' (Kid Costume)

lordgilpin

So last year when my brother Lukus (8 years old then) watched 'Trick 'r Treat' he changed his mind about being the Grim Reaper for Halloween and wanted to go as "Sam". It was a little late and I promised him we'd do it this year. I kept putting it off and putting it off... I almost dropped the ball- Started on Thursday morning, October 28th and finished at 3:45pm on Sunday, October 31st. :lol (Nothing like cutting it down to the wire...)

CandyBreak.jpg
TrickRTreating.jpg
Backside.jpg

I would like to give praise to Bigturc's thread: http://www.therpf.com/f24/sam-trick-r-treat-72402/

While I constructed my brothers costume very differently, his thread was an invaluable resource throughout my build.

We started with a sleeper type suit. I used the standard McCall's animal jumpsuit pattern. I didn't use polar fleece, I opted for a terry cloth towel-like fabric. I think it looks good.

Sleeper01.jpg
ShoeCover03.jpg

The feet aren't sewn on, they are only shoe covers. I would've liked to have done the full on screen accurate "footy pajamas" but this was just a better fit for us. This costume was to be used to trick or treat in and he did alot of walking...

ShoeCover02.jpg
ShoeCover01.jpg

For the hands, I just sewed a sort of Burlap sleeve and cut a hole for his thumb. Once he squeezed it on his hand I tied some string/yarn arond his wrist. (On Halloween I colored his fingers with a red permanent marker so he'd have "bloody fingers" but he hated it and wouldn't do it again for these pics- :lol)

HandWrap02.jpg
HandWrap01.jpg

Now the costume has a helmet for shape (Sam has a pumpkin head) that I very crudely made from two candy bowls. I was going to cut vents all throughout the bowl to keep it cooler and perhaps let some air get inside the burlap sack/mask but the plastic bowls proved far too brittle for that. I ended up just cutting one large opening and reinforcing with duck tape. I also added a bit of padding to the top to make the flat-bottom of the bowl round.

Helmet.jpg
HelmetTop.jpg

You can see the padding inside made from bubblewrap and ducktape to help it sit on his head. It still wobbled a bit but he didn't want chin straps... (Which I wanted to add :rolleyes)

HelmetInside.jpg
HelmetOn.jpg

Throw the bag over his head (The hand stitching on this thing was SUCH a pain! I watched half a season of Breaking Bad while doing this alone!) and tie it at the neck with a length of rope and woolah!

MaskOn.jpg
HelmetMaskTiedon.jpg

He told me there was no need for eye holes, that he could see "perfectly"... until night hit. It was so funny watching him feel around with his foot for the edge of the steps. He was fine once he got to the porch with the light on. I ended up holding his hand and leading him around most of the night but he was having a blast! The look in his eyes when he looks at pics of himself is what makes everything worth it!

SuitandHelmet.jpg
Rockon.jpg

Awesome work!!
Your head mask looks brillant!!! Did you use regular burlap cause if you did, you certainly succeeded in making it wave free!

Great job! That smile on his face makes it worth it!!!(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

hey the costume looks great!

i'm working on getting my sam costume done before halloween this year. i finally finished the head lastnight, and i just copied your glove idea. the gloves are fraying alittle at the seems, i think it still looks okay though.. so thankyou for the idea!

now im wondering how you made the lolly pop :confused

also i have looked everywhere for the animal pattern you used or something similar but for women/adults but no luck! plus it's so close to halloween even if i did find the pattern online it probably wouldn't ship to me in time. so i'm going to just try my best and play it by ear.. have any tips or suggestions?

99822330.jpg

1c903f18.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back