Rondo hardening method: A Photo Guided Tutorial

Tyr

I apologize if this is in the wrong area but I could not find a tutorial section.

This method is used mostly with Pepakura pieces though it can be applied to any parts that need to be solidly reinforced.

Apply fiberglass resin to your pieces first just as you would when doing fiberglass reinforcement.

Planning ahead:
When considering Rondo you must take into account a few factors.
-Is the piece enclosed or open?
-How do I mix Rondo and at what ratio of resin to body filler?
-Are there any hard to reach areas?
-How thick should the layers be?
-What other information should I know?

Open pieces can be strengthened with Rondo using the basic slush casting technique.
5632002423_9107463346.jpg

Enclosed pieces take a bit more planning and preparation.
To begin, you should find an area of your piece that is flat and that won't be visible when finished.
I chose the underside of my UA Attachment which is hidden from view when on the helmet.
I then took the cap to a plastic bottle and traced a circle onto the piece before pepping.
Removal of the piece not only made the pep work a bit easier but created a pouring hole.
5632586578_5048d79df7.jpg

After pouring the Rondo mix I then sealed the hole with masking tape to prevent leaks.
5632586680_64127491ec.jpg

Then it is as simple as slushing the mix around inside the piece.
For the first layer of Rondo, I pour the entire cup in at once and then slush it around. All consecutive layers are poured in smaller portions where the Rondo needs to be thickened.
It may be a good idea to place fiberglass cloth or matting within the Rondo layer for added strength though I find it plenty strong without.

For my mixtures I begin with filling a cup about half way with body filler and then topping it off with a near equal amount of resin.
5632586740_164024153b.jpg

This occasionally varies with more body filler for a paste-like mixture or more resin for a runnier mixture.
Be sure to scrape the sides as you are mixing to prevent wasted materials.
When mixed it will have the consistency of a runny milkshake.
5632002167_e1906036d3.jpg

Some people may say to use both the cream hardener and the liquid, I find that only the liquid hardener is needed as I buy my body filler and resin by Bondo brand and both are polyester resin based which both accept the liquid hardener.
It will take about twice the amount of liquid hardener you would use for a regular batch of resin as it is taking the place of the Bondo hardener as well as the resin hardener.
If you are going to add coloring like I do it is best to do it after mixing the resin and body filler but prior to adding the hardener.

Hard to reach areas need to be noted prior to pouring the mix and often serve as a good starting point.
5632586936_7da46f45df.jpg

The Brim on my helmet proved to be an area that would be hard to get to if I had poured my mixture elsewhere so I began there and worked my way to the rest of the helm.
There may be some areas where there are small recesses on the outside which lead to difficult spaces within the helmet. Take extra care to ensure that these areas are filled with Rondo.

When it comes to thickness you should always judge based on two thing: the "knock" test and the light test.
If you can see light coming through the mixture then you may need to add a bit more to that area.
When the piece is hardened you can knock a knuckle across the surface and if it is solid and sounds similar to a bicycle helmet you have a decent thickness that is suitable for most purposes.

Other information of note:
Do not panic if some seams of your pieces leak, simply smooth out the mess and be thankful that you will have a little bit less Bondo work to do.
As the mixture cures it causes an exothermic reaction so be wary of the heat given off. This does prove to be a good sign of when the piece can be placed on a table or work area.
Always wear clothing that is easily replaceable. I use white T-shirts available from most clothing retailers that come in packs for cheap.
Gloves are a must, I use Nitrile as my mother is allergic to latex so I avoid bringing latex things into the home as much as possible.
ALWAYS wear a respirator, body filler and fiberglass resin both put off quite hazardous smells(chemicals) alone but when combined it seems to grow exponentially.
Bristled paint brushes are a good item to have so that you can push the Rondo where it needs to be that may be otherwise inaccessible, foam brushes also work but not as well.
I have had excess Rondo melt through the mixing container when it cures so make sure to have a drop cloth or other material protecting your work area.
The plastic cup that is over the lid of your Bondo will be your best friend. It easily keeps rounded pieces from rolling away and comes with one of the major components of Rondo as a bonus.
5632587192_8566a64358.jpg

Last edited:
Good write up.

Another good subtitute for the polyester resin is surfboard resin cause it doesn't heat up as much. Also if you guys are looking for the best cost effective alternative, mix the surfboard resin with talc. I also recommend using 30% MEK-P if you guys wanted a longer pot life.

I've been using Rondo like this for a while too, it's definitely the way to go. So easy to use and none of the fiberglass mess. It's hard as a rock, too.

I've been using Rondo like this for a while too, it's definitely the way to go. So easy to use and none of the fiberglass mess. It's hard as a rock, too.

The only downside is that it's heavy as a rock as well. lol

When using just the liquid hardener about how much do you use? Do you need enough to just cure the resin or enough to cure both the resin and the bondo?

When using just the liquid hardener about how much do you use? Do you need enough to just cure the resin or enough to cure both the resin and the bondo?

It takes about twice as much liquid hardener as it is acting as both the liquid and cream.
I'll be sure to update the first post. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm hoping to use this on some foam stuff I plan on doing shortly, possibly even my Portal 2 boots, but I'm confused about one thing. I get that it's resin and body filler, but is it fiberglass resin and body filler or casting resin and body filler? I see it mentioned all over the board, but for some reason can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I'm hoping to use this on some foam stuff I plan on doing shortly, possibly even my Portal 2 boots, but I'm confused about one thing. I get that it's resin and body filler, but is it fiberglass resin and body filler or casting resin and body filler? I see it mentioned all over the board, but for some reason can't seem to find the answer to my question.

you can use either the casting or polyester "fiberglass" resin. However casting resin is a lot better than the polyester resin 'cause it's not going to be as brittle (bondo is poly resin and talc, but poly resin gets brittle when it puddles). You're actually better off buying a whole gallon of polyester resin and a couple of pounds of Cabosil/aerosil cause it will be a lot stronger.

The tutorial is meant for use with fiberglass resin.
But as Tigerblood said, Casting resin and Cabosil or even milled glass fiber would work better if you have the money to spend.

Thanks loads fellas, that took some of the mystery out of the process, now I can see about trying to pull it off.

Ok I've got one more question that you guys may or may not be able to answer (if not I'll post in the thread after I've tried it). What I'm thinking based on a couple posts I've seen is the EVA foam doesn't really take the fiberglassing very well, particularly where the person is trying to use resin by itself. I thought to cover the foam and give it that really clean fiberglassed pep look I might cover it in a rough coat of wall spackle first. So essentially I would spackle it, take a really rough sandpaper over it to leave something for the Rondo to stick to, and then Rondo everything, sand, and paint. My question is do you think the spackle underneath might cause the fiberglass to chip or flake off? Essentially I would just be using it to fill the pores in the EVA foam so that the Rondo forms a shell over top of it and adheres better than it would to the foam itself.

It may be that the addition of the body filler in the rondo mix helps take care of that problem, and it would be an unneeded step.

thank you so much for the info, im making a kylo ren helmet and theres some holes in the front part that are hard to do with the fiberglass... any way. thank you again it realy help
I apologize if this is in the wrong area but I could not find a tutorial section.

This method is used mostly with Pepakura pieces though it can be applied to any parts that need to be solidly reinforced.

Apply fiberglass resin to your pieces first just as you would when doing fiberglass reinforcement.

Planning ahead:
When considering Rondo you must take into account a few factors.
-Is the piece enclosed or open?
-How do I mix Rondo and at what ratio of resin to body filler?
-Are there any hard to reach areas?
-How thick should the layers be?
-What other information should I know?

Open pieces can be strengthened with Rondo using the basic slush casting technique.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5632002423_9107463346.jpg
Enclosed pieces take a bit more planning and preparation.
To begin, you should find an area of your piece that is flat and that won't be visible when finished.
I chose the underside of my UA Attachment which is hidden from view when on the helmet.
I then took the cap to a plastic bottle and traced a circle onto the piece before pepping.
Removal of the piece not only made the pep work a bit easier but created a pouring hole.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5632586578_5048d79df7.jpg
After pouring the Rondo mix I then sealed the hole with masking tape to prevent leaks.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5106/5632586680_64127491ec.jpg
Then it is as simple as slushing the mix around inside the piece.
For the first layer of Rondo, I pour the entire cup in at once and then slush it around. All consecutive layers are poured in smaller portions where the Rondo needs to be thickened.
It may be a good idea to place fiberglass cloth or matting within the Rondo layer for added strength though I find it plenty strong without.

For my mixtures I begin with filling a cup about half way with body filler and then topping it off with a near equal amount of resin.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5062/5632586740_164024153b.jpg
This occasionally varies with more body filler for a paste-like mixture or more resin for a runnier mixture.
Be sure to scrape the sides as you are mixing to prevent wasted materials.
When mixed it will have the consistency of a runny milkshake.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5632002167_e1906036d3.jpg
Some people may say to use both the cream hardener and the liquid, I find that only the liquid hardener is needed as I buy my body filler and resin by Bondo brand and both are polyester resin based which both accept the liquid hardener.
It will take about twice the amount of liquid hardener you would use for a regular batch of resin as it is taking the place of the Bondo hardener as well as the resin hardener.
If you are going to add coloring like I do it is best to do it after mixing the resin and body filler but prior to adding the hardener.

Hard to reach areas need to be noted prior to pouring the mix and often serve as a good starting point.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5149/5632586936_7da46f45df.jpg
The Brim on my helmet proved to be an area that would be hard to get to if I had poured my mixture elsewhere so I began there and worked my way to the rest of the helm.
There may be some areas where there are small recesses on the outside which lead to difficult spaces within the helmet. Take extra care to ensure that these areas are filled with Rondo.

When it comes to thickness you should always judge based on two thing: the "knock" test and the light test.
If you can see light coming through the mixture then you may need to add a bit more to that area.
When the piece is hardened you can knock a knuckle across the surface and if it is solid and sounds similar to a bicycle helmet you have a decent thickness that is suitable for most purposes.

Other information of note:
Do not panic if some seams of your pieces leak, simply smooth out the mess and be thankful that you will have a little bit less Bondo work to do.
As the mixture cures it causes an exothermic reaction so be wary of the heat given off. This does prove to be a good sign of when the piece can be placed on a table or work area.
Always wear clothing that is easily replaceable. I use white T-shirts available from most clothing retailers that come in packs for cheap.
Gloves are a must, I use Nitrile as my mother is allergic to latex so I avoid bringing latex things into the home as much as possible.
ALWAYS wear a respirator, body filler and fiberglass resin both put off quite hazardous smells(chemicals) alone but when combined it seems to grow exponentially.
Bristled paint brushes are a good item to have so that you can push the Rondo where it needs to be that may be otherwise inaccessible, foam brushes also work but not as well.
I have had excess Rondo melt through the mixing container when it cures so make sure to have a drop cloth or other material protecting your work area.
The plastic cup that is over the lid of your Bondo will be your best friend. It easily keeps rounded pieces from rolling away and comes with one of the major components of Rondo as a bonus.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5264/5632587192_8566a64358.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back