The Rocketeer - Final Photographs (Pic Heavy)

DeathProof

Hey Everyone!!

Well, it's almost time to get ready for this year's Halloween project, and I finally had time with work and whatnot to get some nice shots of my Rocketeer from 2012.

To view the build thread: http://www.therpf.com/f24/rocketeer...0-24-12-final-update-before-halloween-155496/

For those that are interested in making this costume, it's not for the faint of heart. Initially, I looked at it and thought, "hmm...there doesn't seem to be too many pieces to this costume...jacket, helmet, boots, gloves, pants, pistol...and a gigantic rocket pack."

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but when it compares to those hardcore folks that have invested $5000+ on this costume, I just couldn't do it. Saying that though, considering this is a scratch build rocket, the rest of the costume I tried to get as accurate as possible - which still cost a bunch of money. With all said and done, correcting mistakes (which you learn along the way with scratch builds), the costume cost me about $1300. Living in Canada, shipping costs for some of the items took a bit of a hit.

Didn't win any money off it at any contests - the character is a bit old for some of the places hosting contests - but it was a labour of love that I got a lot of enjoyment from.

I think one day I will get the model rocket pack kit and get it professionally painted. But that will be another day.

Huge thanks to GeneralFrosty for taking care of the helmet (huge issues with Monsters in Motion). I had it shipped to him and in a timely manner he made the helmet look mint. By far the centrepiece of the costume. Check out his stellar paint job on the rocket pack:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/acme-rocketeer-rocketpack-kit-build-pics-page-5-a-124782/

Also big kudos to Valor for supplying the insert. If you have this helmet and plan on wearing it (c'mon...you know you will) you MUST get the insert. Very comfortable and kept the helmet on my head all night.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/rocketeer-helmet-custom-liner-82366/

Because I'm Canadian, I could not get a replica pistol (illegal here), so huge thanks to BadSprout for the toy alternative!
http://www.therpf.com/f9/cheap-cheerful-star-wars-blasters-toy-mauser-100493/

I'm not gonna get into a huge story, because it's more about the pictures! If you want a shopping list for anything, PM me and I'll let you know more about it!

Enjoy and thanks for checking it out!

rocketeer-1.jpgrocketeer-2.jpgrocketeer-3.jpgrocketeer-4.jpgrocketeer-5.jpgrocketeer-6.jpgrocketeer-7.jpgrocketeer-8.jpgrocketeer-9.jpgrocketeer-10.jpgrocketeer-11.jpgrocketeer-12.jpgrocketeer-13.jpgrocketeer-14.jpgrocketeer-15.jpgrocketeer-16.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Rocketeer - Halloween 2012 - Final Photographs (Pic Heavy)

Amazing! I love how you have been! This is a character that I have half done, even I have to finish the pants and the rocket with the gloves controls. See your work encourages to continue with mine. As I finish my current project, I will continue with the Rocketeer!

Re: The Rocketeer - Halloween 2012 - Final Photographs (Pic Heavy)

Thanks!

Yes, it's definitely a time consuming costume. The rocket needs a lot of TLC - design, weight, paint, etc. I had never used bondo before, so that was an experiment. All in all it took 5 months to put together.

The pants I lucked out on. I went to an old tackle shop that sold horse riding gear, $25. Had to take them to a tailer to get fitted a bit better, but that was only another $10.

Good luck on your build!

That looks amazing! I have an unstarted rocket pack kit under my son's bed... One of these days I'll need to actually do something with it.

I'd love to have that kit. Bit expensive though. I saw some pretty good casts on here a while back. They're not bad, but having the official kit would be pretty mint.

DeathProof, I don't know anything about an "official kit". This is one of the Monsters in Motion kits. I've had it since 2007 or 2008 and made no progress on it.

Yeah, that's what I meant :) The MIM Acme kit. I don't think there's anything else that comes close to it.

Check out the link I posted up top from GeneralFrosty. I'm sure his build will be inspirational as well!

Looks pretty good man. That's one thing I would like to do with one of my costumes is to get an actual photographer to take my picture lol. You have some good pictures there.

Looks pretty good man. That's one thing I would like to do with one of my costumes is to get an actual photographer to take my picture lol. You have some good pictures there.

Thanks! It definitely makes a difference. I think it's so important to properly show all the detail and work that is put into this hobby. Plus, when you go out of a con atmosphere to get photos taken, it gives the character a lot more life.

Which costume do you want to photograph?

That looks amazing! I really want to work on a rocketeer costume myself! Definitely an inspiring post sir!

great, i thought i was looking at shots of the 1/6 figure and then i realized it was a real person lol. what a great costume and photos! awesome.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back