Rocketeer Halloween Costume (Updated 10/24/12 - FINAL UPDATE BEFORE HALLOWEEN)

DeathProof

Hey everyone!

Finally I've put to work my dream of putting together a Rocketeer costume!

Through all the threads I've read on this costume, I have to first say many thanks and congrats to those that have done such AMAZING jobs!

My goal, like many of you, is to make it as realistic, while not breaking the bank. Well, the second part of that I've already kinda ignored...I'll fill you in on what I've done!

Helmet: Monsters in motion, fully finished (While I enjoy the challenge, Halloween is already 96 days away, and with work, I may not have time to do both the pack and the helmet) $400

Jacket: Ebay, from India. $150

Jedi boots (Anakin style): $100

Vintage jodhpur riding pants, cream: $28

Flying gloves: $20

C-96 Mauser Replica: $100

Vintage C-96 Mauser holster: $50

Helmet liner from Valor: $80

**All prices include shipping costs**

Total for everything minus the rocket: $928 (and I'm Canadian, so there's lovely conversion rates as well)

I've already put about $200 in pieces/tools for the rocket. Jeez louise!

In an attempt to keep it around my 'original' budget of $1000 (yeah right), I had wanted to make the rocket myself.

However, I'm not the best when it comes to metalwork, or fibre glass, or some of the other things I've seen on here.

SO! I decided to do it the way my art teacher taught me :) Paper Mache! Haha. I've been using mod podge to build up the tubes on a chicken wire frame. Here's what I've got so far...

599268_628695724501_952677496_n.jpg

I've got the sheet with the pack and the dimensions discussed in a thread on here, but realistically, I'm not going for 'screen replica.' I'm doing what I can with what I have.

I was going to start working on the engines today, following Adam's (themanwoaname) idea for using coax cables and toilet plungers (hilarious), but then I started thinking ahead. The paper mache works (for a frame), but I need to make it smoother (the actual surface is smooth, but there are way too many bumps). The other option I thought of was modelling clay. I bought a $10 box of air dry clay, but I woke up this morning thinking that...hey...when clay dries...it's fragile. Not a good idea for a halloween costume that could potentially go to a pub and get trashed.

What material could I use to smooth out the bumps from the paper mache frame? I also need to make the vents for the exhaust, and have no idea how to make them (I was going to do clay, but after my morning's epiphany, probably not a good idea). Does silly putty break the same way clay does after it hardens?

I'm going to use foam core for the flippers, attached by a door hinge.

No idea what I'm going to do for the harness. Looking into some leather options online, but all I seem to get are bondage websites. Hah!

Any thoughts? I'll post more pics as the build goes on.

Cheers
Aaron

Last edited:
Re: Rocketeer Halloween Costume (Rocket Build)

....actually.....

Just got back from a craft store...

I need something pliable, and durable, so a woman recommended using silicone. Just grab a few tubes of caulking and have at it. What do you think?

I love Rocketeer, even though it's fading away....
Will keep watching your progress :love
Subscribe

I like the paper mache approach. Maybe you could coat it with polyester resin to help smooth it out.

Perhaps you could use some lengths of PVC pipe for the housing, and Silly Putty eggs for the bumps on the fuselage.

For the exhaust flaps you might consider some cheap plastic beach shovels painted and bolted on to the frame.

Also, you could use thumbtacks as the rivets.

Look forward to seeing the final results!

Talked with a shop guy and he suggested DryDex Spackling. I guess this stuff has a little bit of give to it, so if I hit anything, it won't fracture...that's my worst fear, putting all this work into it, and then it breaks.

So, I coated up the engines with a nice thick layer (gonna take forever to dry I imagine). It dries white, which is kinda cool. So the next step will be to take sandpaper to it and have at it.

Then if that goes well, I'll start working on the center piece.

427312_628786537511_1699014567_n.jpg

Thanks for the great reference list in the first post.
Are you going to do a parts list for the rocket pack when finished?

Thanks for the great reference list in the first post.
Are you going to do a parts list for the rocket pack when finished?

I can, for sure! I'll post it when I'm done, along with where those pieces go. I noticed some tutorials just post the supplies...but then you don't really know what part of the build they are.

I got all the help I needed from this site, so I should repay the favour.

Mind you, this will NOT be an exact screen replica. I'm working with what I can do, with the time I have. I think after halloween, if Jamie (hikz) has his mould of the rocket pack, I will buy that off him so I can complete the costume the way it should be.

Not much new today. Put a second coat of spackling on the paper mache tubes and sanded them to smooth them out. I'm still not getting them COMPLETELY smooth. There should be a way, as I've seen paper mache dolls look like porcelain.

After this, I will start working on the center piece, do the same to that, then attach all three pieces.

Stay tuned!

So I'm having a bit of an issue with the actual construction of the rocket.

The drydex spackling is already chipping and cracking. I sanded it down to make it nice and smooth...to be honest...it still looks like a tree trunk instead of metal. I don't know how happy I am about this....

207571_628884945301_1418039733_n.jpg

It's still early....I feel like I should start over and use something else.

I will be watching this thread closely, as I'm doin the same for Halloween. I'll probably start a thread too or I'll just ask you for advice :p

My two cents on the rocket tubes, this is what I'm planning on doing with my build, get some thin gauge steel from the hardware store (for a/c ducts) and roll it into a tube, clamp it and epoxy it together.
I might be able to help you with some things, as I have access to a vacuum former, some of the detail pieces I'm making with a 3d printer/ cnc router and vacuum form them.

Use pepakura and rondo ( mixture of fiberglass and bondo ) Check out my profile page for a photo album of rocket packs i have built using this method. Ther is also a link to my facebook pake.

Might be a silly question:
What is that tubes made of? Paper mache?
The way I see it, it could be made from PVC pipes, it already have a nice smooth surface too.

Oh no..., now I want one (maybe just the helmet)

I searched rocketeer jet pack for pepakura files. It looks like better of do the basic shape from paper and adding more detail to it. It'll be easier, even tough to me it is still a difficult one to make.
I'm with mikey123mushukl on this one (BTW, cool peps, like it!)

I will be watching this thread closely, as I'm doin the same for Halloween. I'll probably start a thread too or I'll just ask you for advice :p

My two cents on the rocket tubes, this is what I'm planning on doing with my build, get some thin gauge steel from the hardware store (for a/c ducts) and roll it into a tube, clamp it and epoxy it together.
I might be able to help you with some things, as I have access to a vacuum former, some of the detail pieces I'm making with a 3d printer/ cnc router and vacuum form them.

Hey man, good luck with the build! Let me know when you put your thread up!

I thought about doing metal, but I wanted to build it up. Probably the harder way, but in the long run, I think it'll work out.

Use pepakura and rondo ( mixture of fiberglass and bondo ) Check out my profile page for a photo album of rocket packs i have built using this method. Ther is also a link to my facebook pake.

Thanks for the tip, Mike. I'm going to try to use Rondo to put it together. Will that stick to spackling? I'll have to go in the tubes and strengthen it from the inside...that'll be fun.

Might be a silly question:
What is that tubes made of? Paper mache?
The way I see it, it could be made from PVC pipes, it already have a nice smooth surface too.

The tubes are made of chicken wire and paper mache, coated with spackling. I've done a bunch of it before, so I thought it would work, but I never needed to get it as smooth as metal. I've seen it done before, but it's been a challenge to get it that 'porcelain' look.

PVC pipes would have worked, but again, I don't have the tools or experience with that. I tried to stick with what I knew...and now I'm finding myself seeking a friend's help with fibreglass - he's got a workshop I can use. He's pretty stokes on the project, so it's good to have another pair of hands.

Update:

Should be expecting some packages coming in the mail this week. Quite excited for that!

In other news...the rocket has taken quite a few steps back. Many actually...back to the drawing board.

While the paper mache and chicken wire is a good idea, I never got it to the smoothness that I wanted, even with the orbital sander to the spackling. All in all...it wasn't the best design or function for the materials used.

A buddy of mine is going to help me out. He has a workshop in his garage (you should see it...so awesome - he builds model cars). I picked up the following from Home Depot:

2x 8x24" air duct tubing
1 large metal dustpan (to be cut in half for the fins)
2x work light reflectors (cones for the tops of the rockets)

I think we're just going to make cuts and bends for the vents on the rockets. I have a circular vents for the bottom and middle. Styrene will be used for the main vent up top. Need to figure out the caps of the rockets. Might just cut some metal.

A frustrating start, but plenty of time to figure it out.

Pictures to follow in the next little while!

Looking very cool so far. I tried my hand at making one recently, then I bit the bullet and bought the pack.

Looking very cool so far. I tried my hand at making one recently, then I bit the bullet and bought the pack.

I'd buy the pack...but I've already spent enough on the rest of the costume. If it turns out bad, I can always buy it and do it properly next year

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back