The Rocketeer - Final Photographs (Pic Heavy)

Yea that looks amazing - but very pricey. Anyone know anything about this Jacket: Men's 'Rocketeer' Tan 1940's Aviator WW2 Style Flight Pilot Nappa Leather Jacket | eBay

Hey man,

That jacket looks pretty good. I got mine off ebay too, however, mine was from some random place in India. It was about $130 shipped.

The one you are looking at is in GBP, so a bit more expensive, however, the quality looks better. The jacket I have has buttons (I wish they were snaps as the jacket is difficult to get in and out of, and attaching the harness can be a pain). I also don't have pockets. Saying that, I had mine custom fit to my body which is awesome. I think the ebay store you are mentioning is just called 'custom jackets'...I don't see anything about them custom tailoring the jacket.

Good luck with the build :)

- - - Updated - - -

love it, love everything about it

Thanks man.

Only took almost a year to get decent photos...haha!

Awesome! When I was a kid, my brother and I created a Rocketeer costume using a modified paperboard cylinder for the helmet (turned out pretty good after paint) and some Quaker Oats cylinders and some odds and ends for the jet pack. My mom had found a coat very similar to the Rocketeer coat with a very large velcro lapel across the breast. We just added some buttons to get the effect. I've always wanted to do this costume again as an adult.

I've seen the jacket you used on ebay. How is the quality? Is it worth the $130? I've seen some helmets too, but they were way out of my price range.

You give me hope. After my current Terminator film project I may just take this one on.

Strong Work!!:D

I've seen the jacket you used on ebay. How is the quality? Is it worth the $130? I've seen some helmets too, but they were way out of my price range.

You give me hope. After my current Terminator film project I may just take this one on.

Strong Work!!:D

Thanks for the kudos!

I'll be honest, and JDM Ninja can chime in too as he has the same jacket, the leather is very ..hmm...stiff. It needs to be worked in. I honestly don't think it's a real leather - texture wise, it doesn't have that same feel. Magnoli is amazing, but crazy expensive.

Really, when building this costume, I cut corners on certain areas to save money, and I still spent $1300. The helmet was the biggest thing for me - it had to be perfect. The jacket, while not the most comfortable, looks pretty good and does the trick. The riding pants I got at a local horse tackle shop and the boots I got off ebay for pretty cheap. The other large expense was the construction of the rocket and all the successes and failures of scratch building it to make it work.

The helmet I got from Monsters in Motion, and had it shipped to General Frosty who painted it. I think overall it cost me about $500 with all the shipping involved.

You can use mink oil on your jacket to make it supple.

I use it on all my motorcycle racing leathers and they stay soft and pliable even after getting wet.

Just make sure you try it on an inconspicuous place first as I've had some colours darken a little after applying it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back