Man of Steel Costume

Winchester117

Hey friends,
I am really close to being able to get started on putting together my own
Man of Steel costume by ordering all the separate pieces and putting it together. The only things that I can't find anything on are the boots and the cape. I'm looking to do as accurate a costume as possible so I've posted a few pics of the cape and boots from last years comic-con and am hoping that anyone can help me.
If anyone's seen or heard anything I'd very much appreciate all your great input.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a couple of Man Of Steel threads hereabouts, if you put it into the Search feature on your tool-bar you'll likely find a little more info as a couple of guys are already pursuing this very costume.

I can't shed much light on the pieces you need, but to my eye, the Cape looks similar to the flocked material used on the Batman Capes in the Nolan flicks? Only it looks to be of lighter weight.

Someone with a better knowledge of fabrics might be able to chime in.

This costume loses some points with me becuase the all-yellow "S" on the cape has been ommited....again.
I've said this when Superman Returns came out, the "S" shield on the cape really helps distinguish this character from a generic superhero cape.

Good luck putting this costume together - it looks like it will be a very difficult task, but if you can nail it even close I'm sure it will impress.

I agree with Donnie Darko - the cape does look to be a similar material to what was used in the Nolan Batman films. Researching what fabric was used for the Batman capes might be a good place to start.

Fascinating - the print on the material reminds me of chain mail. The shine on it also looks like the entire body suit is coated before printing / embossing. Does anyone know what the base material would be? Seems like it follows curves too well to be wetsuit material...

Donnie - I've been keeping my close eye on all the MoS threads, I've been impressed with all the work these guys put into their costumes. Unfortunately I haven't found much of anything on how to do the boots and cape. I have found the materials I would use is I could just do this stuff myself but I'm not that talented.

GeneralFrosty - First thanks for the good luck, I've seen how difficult this costume is, I hope I can get a pretty good costume out of it.

I'm not too disappointed about there not being an S shield on the cape, especially after returns where the entire suit was plastered with S's. I love the look of the new cape, I think the full flowing look shouts Superman. I think the shield on the cape is unnecessary.

The suit is beginning to grow on me. I hope someone can figure out how to pull off the texturing without having to puff paint the entire thing...

Sean

I found a pretty good material.. You can see the raised design on the suit..

IMG_4902.jpg

The suit is beginning to grow on me. I hope someone can figure out how to pull off the texturing without having to puff paint the entire thing...

Sean

.IMG_5482.jpg

Here is the suit on me with the cape and boots... sorry I can't credit Wonder Woman too.. No idea who she is.. Just a lovely person from Fan Expo. If you click on the pic and then enlarge it you can really see the textures.

I just read this about the suit
The Superman suit is made up of separate layers. There’s an under-layer of sculpted detail mounted onto a bodysuit. Over the top of this we stretched a thin mesh over-suit that is printed with a dimensional chain-mail texture. Then, the final foam-latex elements are affixed – the ‘S’-glyph , the cuffs, the side-body details, etc.

We wanted to evoke a “man of steel” – so our metallic finish has an ambiguous quality, as though it’s an alien metal/armour unfamiliar to us on earth. We wanted our Superman to glow on screen, to create a texture that the camera loves, and make him stand apart from the human race.

I'm still looking for MOS boots and wonder if anyone knows where one can pick up a file for a dye sub pattern or something to that affect. I haven't seen much as far as boots go so any help would be great.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back