Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Dark Matter Props RPF Premium Member darkside501st's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Houston, TX
    Messages
    1,292
    Jan 20, 2011, 8:23 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #51

    Hello, I am posting this for anyone that comes here looking for a place to find IDF suspenders. Check out: Israeli (IDF) Canvas Web Set | Load Bearing Equip | Field Equipment | Top Brass Military

    Not sure how many they have left but it is a good source for now and a lot less than the ones that go up for sale on ebay. Although, if you live in Houston, TX you might want to stop by the physical store... when I got mine they were $5 less than the internet price plus you dont have to pay the $7 shipping.

    For the people that dyed the suspenders, did you use the color remover or just the dye?
  2. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    618
    Jan 28, 2011, 1:19 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #52

    darkside501st said: View Post
    Hello, I am posting this for anyone that comes here looking for a place to find IDF suspenders. Check out: Israeli (IDF) Canvas Web Set | Load Bearing Equip | Field Equipment | Top Brass Military

    Not sure how many they have left but it is a good source for now and a lot less than the ones that go up for sale on ebay. Although, if you live in Houston, TX you might want to stop by the physical store... when I got mine they were $5 less than the internet price plus you dont have to pay the $7 shipping.

    For the people that dyed the suspenders, did you use the color remover or just the dye?
    Know of any other suppliers?

    They canceled my order today:
    Email
    I want to thank you for shopping with Top Brass, and apologize for the
    delay in responding to your order. Please note that we are currently out
    of stock, and per our supplier they have discontinued carrying it. Please
    let me know if you wish to substitute for another product, and/or cancel
    your order.
  3. Dark Matter Props RPF Premium Member darkside501st's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Houston, TX
    Messages
    1,292
    Jan 28, 2011, 2:56 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #53

    Hmmm, that is weird. They told me they had more in the back and wanted to know if I would like to pick one out. The one I had was fine so I didn't bother. I guess they must have been wrong. Did you happen to call the 1-800 number and ask the store personnel?

    Unfortunately, I do not know of any other vendors... sometimes there is an auction on ebay. The last one I saw just ended a week or so ago and the seller wrote he was down to the last two. So I don't know if there will be any more on ebay either. I had found a couple of website (different names) that were created by Frank Bee (a military surplus co) but they said they didn't have any more in their stock even though it said they did on the websites.
  4. pennausamike's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Messages
    737
    Jan 28, 2011, 6:08 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #54

    definitely still on eBay.
    Search:
    mal firefly
    There is a pair with one bid and less than an hour to go.
    I guess I'd be surprised if this was the last pair.

    Mike
  5. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    618
    Jan 29, 2011, 2:20 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #55

    pennausamike said: View Post
    definitely still on eBay.
    Search:
    mal firefly
    There is a pair with one bid and less than an hour to go.
    I guess I'd be surprised if this was the last pair.

    Mike

    Bought one from eBay.
    also found that this company sells them

    Israeli (IDF) Canvas Web Set 92-66/661 Green - French
  6. Dark Matter Props RPF Premium Member darkside501st's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Houston, TX
    Messages
    1,292
    Jan 30, 2011, 6:39 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #56

    Fetts.Sobriquet said: View Post
    Bought one from eBay.
    also found that this company sells them

    Israeli (IDF) Canvas Web Set 92-66/661 Green - French
    Yeah that's the Frank Bee company I was talking about... When I called them they said they did not have any. Who's to say that any of these companies don't get shipments every so often though.
  7. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    618
    Jan 31, 2011, 8:55 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #57

    darkside501st said: View Post
    Yeah that's the Frank Bee company I was talking about... When I called them they said they did not have any. Who's to say that any of these companies don't get shipments every so often though.
    Yea, you're right. Who knows what the resupply schedule is. I got another email from Top Brass saying that they will continue to carry the product but they are out now. The first email they sent me said they were going to stop selling them altogether. So, that's good news.
  8. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    618
    Jan 31, 2011, 8:57 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #58

    So, I'm guessing no one ever tracked down the shoe that the Mal boots are based on? There were two possible brands if I remember correctly. Did we ever track down one that worked best or any possible match?
  9. pennausamike's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Messages
    737
    Jan 31, 2011, 10:26 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #59

    Fetts.Sobriquet said: View Post
    So, I'm guessing no one ever tracked down the shoe that the Mal boots are based on?
    There were two possible brands if I remember correctly.
    Did we ever track down one that worked best or any possible match?
    Ya'll need to git on over to
    www.fireflyprops.net
    THE hardcore Firefly prop and costume resource.
    There is a LOT of info throughout; lots to catch up on.

    The specific Mal boots thread is here:
    fireflyprops.net • View topic - Mal's Boots

    Good luck,
    Mike
  10. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    618
    Feb 1, 2011, 12:05 AM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #60

    pennausamike said: View Post
    Ya'll need to git on over to
    www.fireflyprops.net
    THE hardcore Firefly prop and costume resource.
    There is a LOT of info throughout; lots to catch up on.

    The specific Mal boots thread is here:
    fireflyprops.net • View topic - Mal's Boots

    Good luck,
    Mike
    Thanks for the info. I lurk extensively at fireflyprops. I know the motorcowboy boots have an inaccurate sole and no ribbing. I was wondering if the experts ever tracked down the shoe that the boots were based on, but I'm guessing no.

    Guess I'll join the ranks of the DIY Mal boot builders. The HomePage option seems like a good plan, they look great. I might try that if my DIY project crashes and burns.

    Does anyone know of a good base shoe to use? One with a similar sole, which doesn't have to have the gray.
  11. Dark Matter Props RPF Premium Member darkside501st's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Houston, TX
    Messages
    1,292
    Feb 1, 2011, 9:22 AM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #61

    Fetts.Sobriquet said: View Post
    Thanks for the info. I lurk extensively at fireflyprops. I know the motorcowboy boots have an inaccurate sole and no ribbing. I was wondering if the experts ever tracked down the shoe that the boots were based on, but I'm guessing no.

    Guess I'll join the ranks of the DIY Mal boot builders. The HomePage option seems like a good plan, they look great. I might try that if my DIY project crashes and burns.

    Does anyone know of a good base shoe to use? One with a similar sole, which doesn't have to have the gray.
    I haven't seen any accurate boots out there, I don't think anyone ever identified the boots/sole... that's the thing about boots/shoes... the styles change rapidly and then the old shoes are tossed. Since the show was made so long ago it will be next to impossible to find the right sole.

    I will be making my own, it is the only way I will get a decently accurate boot. I will try and reproduce all the details to the best of my abilities as opposed to completely leaving the details out. This is the link to the shoes I got for the soles.

    Buy MCQUILLAN sale's men sale shoes at Spring Shoes. Free Shipping!

    I plan on modifying/covering the shoes to look exactly like Mal's boots. I will be taking an approach similar to the one on this link:

    Untitled Document
  12. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    618
    Feb 1, 2011, 11:51 AM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #62

    Thanks darkside501st. That is more than I hoped for!
  13. Charles Kline's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Denver, CO
    Messages
    553
    Feb 4, 2011, 10:53 AM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #63

    I just got a shipping notification from Top Brass for the suspenders I ordered at the beginning of the week.

    I was worried my procrastination caused me to miss out, Im glad I was able get a pair, Thanks for the heads up.
  14. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    618
    Feb 5, 2011, 5:53 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #64

    Charles Kline said: View Post
    I just got a shipping notification from Top Brass for the suspenders I ordered at the beginning of the week.

    I was worried my procrastination caused me to miss out, Im glad I was able get a pair, Thanks for the heads up.
    Strange. I wonder why they canceled mine? Mine arrived in the mail today.

    Anyone know where I can find a tutorial to finish these puppies?
  15. Dark Matter Props RPF Premium Member darkside501st's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2010
    From
    Houston, TX
    Messages
    1,292
    Feb 7, 2011, 9:21 AM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #65

    Well, the first two pages of this thread discuss the construction of the suspenders. It is pretty simple actually. You have to cut the seam holding the two small canvas straps on the back, then they will pull out with ease. Chose whether to dye the canvas suspenders or not. After you dye them, you just sew the elastic straps from the hacked button suspenders. It really is just a matter of looking at the pictures and putting it together. It's pretty straight forward.
  16. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    618
    Mar 3, 2011, 9:13 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #66

    Prepping to dye the suspenders, I tried to bleach them today. They are light OD green but the beach isn't making a dent in the color. Is there anything I should do to help get the color out?
  17. RPF Premium Member Risu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Garden Grove, CA
    Messages
    6,036
    Mar 5, 2011, 5:13 AM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #67

    Rit color remover is incredibly powerful stuff, way better and safer than bleach. I had some navy blue Sparrow breeches and the color remover turned them white after some trial and error.
  18. RPF Premium Member Fetts.Sobriquet's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    618
    Mar 5, 2011, 8:07 AM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #68

    Risu said: View Post
    Rit color remover is incredibly powerful stuff, way better and safer than bleach. I had some navy blue Sparrow breeches and the color remover turned them white after some trial and error.
    Thanks that worked like a charm. After removing the color and a Rid bath, the suspenders are now tan.
  19. Patattack's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    From
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Messages
    1,041
    Mar 7, 2011, 4:15 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #69

    On the subject of dye...I recently found a suede coat at a thrift store that is surprisingly similar in cut to Mal's coat. It fit me perfectly, too, so I had to snatch it up. Only problem is, it's a light tan/orangey/"tobacco" brown color. Is there an easy and effective way to dye suede? (well, technically I think it's top-grain leather - the outside is suede, the inside is "skin"-like).
  20. RPF Premium Member Risu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Garden Grove, CA
    Messages
    6,036
    Mar 7, 2011, 10:02 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #70

    If you post a picture I can probably answer your question.
  21. halowarmor's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Messages
    45
    May 21, 2011, 8:18 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #71

    Hey there everyone. First let me echo what everyone else says, Great info in this tread!!!
    I just started gathering up the parts form my Mal Costume, and after looking all over the net and following the various links everyone posted, I either got sights that were nolonger there, compleetly sold out, or out of my price range. The one link that still had some left ( Israeli (IDF) Canvas Web Set 92-66/661 Green - French ) will only sell them with the additional belt, a canteen case, and 3 ammo pouches. He wants something like $19 + $15 S&H and a minimum order requirement of $20 (not including the S&H).... Besides all I want are the suspenders. LOL...

    Well after some searching around I finally had success with this site Israeli Army "H" Suspenders I like the price a little better so I decided to take the gamble and hopefully this site actually has them. Once they come in I will post some pics.
  22. Member Since
    Apr 2010
    Messages
    2
    May 25, 2011, 2:25 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #72

    Patattack --> What you want is Fiebing's suede or leather dye in brown. (The leather dye would probably work just as well as the suede). You'll probably need a few bottles to cover an entire trenchcoat. I've had great success colouring leather jackets with it in the past. I don't like the "dauber" it comes with for application though, I've found that pouring it into an atomizer and spraying it in a well ventilated area with little wind works best. ...Just like spraypaint!
  23. RPF Premium Member Risu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Garden Grove, CA
    Messages
    6,036
    May 25, 2011, 4:20 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #73

    If you are going to use Fiebings on suede, the airbrush is the only way to go. Painting/daubing it on will mess up the leather. You're also going to need to seal it after you're done or else it'll rub off on everything.
  24. halowarmor's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2011
    Messages
    45
    May 30, 2011, 9:48 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #74

    Well I took this pic a few nights ago. My IDF Suspenders, Gun belt W/ Holster, and gun are arriving in the mail w/in the week, so I will start painting on the gun soon. I know the boots are not really all that correct but I figured that they would work for now. I intend to have this thing ready to wear to our local "Cant Keep Serenity Down" event on June 11.

    Is it just me or do my pants look a little to big? I took the measurement around the "True Waist" like they said on the website and I really am not all that large but they do appear to be a little on the baggy side to me?

  25. Bronson BB's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    NH, US
    Messages
    369
    May 30, 2011, 10:40 PM - Re: Mal Reynolds Firefly costume #75

    The boots are bagging out your pant legs. It happens. Get `em tucked in there.
    Did you cinch up the belt at the back of the pants?

Similar Threads

  1. My Mal Reynolds (Firefly) costume
    Risu, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: Jul 16, 2014, 2:14 AM
  2. Mal Reynolds Firefly Costume
    Minime1034, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Mar 21, 2013, 3:04 PM
  3. Need help with Mal Reynolds Firefly costume
    ultimatehobo, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar 14, 2011, 6:43 PM
  4. Firefly - Mal Reynolds
    Guardian Devil, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 310
    Last Post: Jun 8, 2008, 8:54 PM
  5. Firefly-Mal Reynolds Costume Completed
    Tristan71, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Aug 16, 2007, 2:04 PM