JFcustom's FOAM files

Just a quick question JF... Do you have any tips on smoothing out the texture of the Decathalon mats? I've given the helmet and torso 3 coats of paint so far and this is the result:
stormtrooper painting.png
Do you just make do with the texture or do you use something to make it smoother?

At first I apply several coats of that : with a wide and soft brush. I need to put a lot of it, just like I were spreading butternut on bread. Then spray paint untill it's smooth. Then transparent polymer varnish.

Is that the roof paint you mentioned previously? I've had a look for that but not been able to find any in the stores here, I'll try putting the gloss paint I'm using on a little thicker with the next coats see if that helps.

Yes it's a roof coating.
It gives some perfect results about covering small gaps. It prevents from EVERY paint crack since the paint coat is traped between this and the flexible varnish. I can fold a piece at 180° and step on it, it won't show the smallest single paint crack neigher during or after.
Making this roof stuff completely flat and smooth with a brush (a soft brush) is quite easy, but requiers multiple coats and a lot of patience. I can do it on some small parts as a test, but never had the patience needed to make it with care on an entire suit...

Yes it's a roof coating.
It gives some perfect results about covering small gaps. It prevents from EVERY paint crack since the paint coat is traped between this and the flexible varnish. I can fold a piece at 180° and step on it, it won't show the smallest single paint crack neigher during or after.
Making this roof stuff completely flat and smooth with a brush (a soft brush) is quite easy, but requiers multiple coats and a lot of patience. I can do it on some small parts as a test, but never had the patience needed to make it with care on an entire suit...

What is the roof coating stuff called?

Is that the roof paint you mentioned previously? I've had a look for that but not been able to find any in the stores here, I'll try putting the gloss paint I'm using on a little thicker with the next coats see if that helps.

Look for Isoflex in B&Q they do a clear primer that a lot of LARPers use to seal their weapons and props

JF do you know what is the equivalent over here in the UK??

I know you are very busy but if you can make a video tutorial on the steps in sealing, painting and gloss over then I think ALOT of people will find this very useful AND you will get ALOT of views. Just my 2p

Absolutely no idea... :\

I know you are very busy but if you can make a video tutorial on the steps in sealing, painting and gloss over then I think ALOT of people will find this very useful AND you will get ALOT of views. Just my 2p
Why not, though there's no much sensational in watching someone brushing and spraying a foam block... :popcorn

_____

JTM's Iron Man markVII in progress...

Last edited:
Absolutely no idea... :\

Why not, though there's no much sensational in watching someone brushing and spraying a foam block... :popcorn

I suppouse you are right hahahaha. maybe show you applying then cut to dried results of each step, you can show how durable your results can be and also show the finish of each product. abit like James from xrobots showing the PVA sealing and smoothcast 65D

Honestly. I don't know why this topis isn't pinned. It's a must

At the risk of it sounding like there's an echo in here, Isoflex is the UK equivalent roof sealant

Roofing Sealants, Roofing, Building Materials

If you don't want to use that there's Liquid Car Wrap/Plastidip:

https://www.liquidcarwraps.co.uk/

the sprayable tins, are more economical than than the rattle cans. They can be sprayed through a normal HVLP spray gun (for sheds and fences), is available in lots of different colors, metallics and also a gloss clear
It cleans up with acetone which is available from here:

Shiny Hardware Limited

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back