Jester - The Stuff of Legend comic WIP

Sandman0077

Sr Member
So I've been following this comic since it came out a few years ago and recently picked up the third collection. I've always liked this character the most, and the third volume happens to be pretty much all about him, so it's finally pushed me over the edge to do my first official costume. I have no idea what convention I will be wearing this at, but I can at least start collecting the different pieces and working on it in my spare time.

For those who are unfamiliar with this comic, it follows the story of a band of toys who venture into the 'Dark Realm' (i.e. the closet) after their owner, a young boy, is taken by the Boogeyman. They are helped, and hurt, by various toys that have been 'lost' in the dark realm, such as the Monopoly board game character, cowboys and Indians, and other well know toys that we have all probably misplaced or thrown away throughout our childhood. Excellent artwork and story, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Now, back on to Jester. He has the overall appearance of a regular jester, but with little differences that I think make him very unique in that role. Without giving away too many spoilers of the character, there are two different Jesters. I will be doing the more grungy version.
One is the normal one from the real world and while he shows great skills at fighting, he is a classic joker and shows compassion to the other characters. The other is an identical jester toy that was damaged and tossed into the boys closet and forgotten about, which is far more psychopathic, crude, revenge driven, and will stop at nothing to find the boy.
He begins with twin hatchets as his main weapons, but later acquires an English style rapier, flintlock pistols, grenades, etc. It's very interesting to see such a Medieval character using such different tools at his disposal, but it works well and really gives a feeling of adaptation and survival to his character.

Here is the look I'm going for:

The comic is in a sort of brown and black coloring, so deciding the final color scheme is going to be slightly difficult.
Here is a good picture of the colors used. These are the most used in all the random artworks and covers, as those are the only times color is used in the comics.

Specific items that will need the most work in my opinion:
His wooden mask:

His hatchets:

His flintlock pistol belt:

His rapier:

I am pretty decent with a sewing machine, so I think the overall costume will be easier, with just getting the patterns right being the hardest part.

My main questions are as follows:
1. Anyone know where to find a jester costume pattern? I'm think I may have to just buy one that is close enough and copy the shapes.
2. For the mask, I was thinking of cutting the shape and then wet forming the bend in it with the layers of wood glued together, similar to how some people make wooden kite shields. I was thinking that may be too heavy to wear, so maybe recasting it in resin and then painting it too look wooden?
3. I've already located some cheap flintlock pistol toys on the internet, but do they look too toy-like?:

4. I was thinking of buying the striped under suit and then wearing separate gloves so I can take them off it I get too hot. Maybe use velcro around the wrist to keep the sleeves down?:

Last edited:
So with further investigation, I've noticed more additions to his outfit.

One being a cross-chest bandoleer for more flintlock pistols, and the other being a nice messenger bag (which will work perfectly for conventions because I will have somewhere to keep my wallet/purchases/etc):

Looking into what kind of material for the fabric. I'm going with the more authentic fabrics, and research says linen and wool. If anyone can verify what kind of medieval fabrics were used, that would be awesome.

Wool was used on the bias, this gives it a little stretch. If you use wool, the out fit won't be tight fitting like spandex, will be hot, may cause itching, and will quickly become baggy at elbows and knees. They also knitted their tights for a tighter fit, with more ease of motion. If you use Spandex, it already comes in stipes and checks and would be relatively easy to find. Here's a web site that will help you make a pattern, and give you a list of comercial patterns. Somewhat Stretchy : Commercial Catsuit Patterns This may help with mask. How to Create Faux Wood Grain With a Faux Wood Graining Tool
Hope this helps.

That wood grain tool looks awesome! I was thinking of just casting the mask in resin to lighten the load and I think that will be a great way to give it the proper wooden look.

As far as the cat suit goes, I have already located one that I can buy for about $40, so that will save me from having to make it by hand.

I was going to use linen for the shirt, hat, and cape, all double layered, but also thinking of adding a stiffer material such as burlap in between the two layers so it won't be so floppy and lay against my body as much. Has anyone done that before?

To help myself make sense of all the different drawings of Jester, I made this base costume overview. It doesn't include any of the accessories, just a basic idea of where I want to go with it.

Also, in regards to my previous post about using something in between the fabric to stiffen it, I think I might try to use regular fabric stiffener and see how that works. I don't want it hard as a rock, I just like how his outfit is jagged and flows off the body. Idk, I will see how my initial build goes. I'm going to go get some linen and start sizing up the patterns, that way when it comes down to the actual build I won't be wasting the correct fabric with incorrect cuts.

My plan is to also weather the outfit heavily, to give it a grungy, battle-worn appearance. In the comic he has various tears and holes all over from arrows and bullets, so that will be fun to do when the time comes. I will probably go roll around in some dirt too.

Anyone know where I could get a prosthetic nose? This is the closest I've found, but it is too thick. Jester's nose comes to a very sharp point.

fa54.gif

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back