Jackieisrockin's IM3 Iron Patriot Pepakura Files! V2 files coming soon!

Re: Jackieisrockin's Iron Patriot (IM3) Pepakura Files! Links in first post! Bicep ad

anyone else feel that the paint job really makes or breaks the Iron patriot suit..

design wise it looks rather bland.

doesn't seem to have that aggressiveness of the War Machine Suit, or the sleekness of the IM suits.

War Machine was a product of lesser minds. Their abbilities were light-years behind Stark. The only reason it looked so "cool" is because it was so bulky. The iron patriot is sleeker because the monkeys, apparently, evolved a little. I really like it. It has the subtle beauty of a Ferrari... not as ostentatious as a Mustang or Corvette.

Light years.... unit of distance...? Sorry. Couldnt resist. Excelent thread. Im currently pepping this but priority is with my mk 6. id love to go with mk 47 but the pep seems to look like it would need a lot of work. I dont know if its the designs but the im3 peps seem much more basic pep files then the others. Iv yet to successfully complete a helmet. Always mess up at the bondo stages. And its winter now. -2 this morning in the uk. Ugh. Iv used smooth cast before but it didnt seem thick enough. I kept slush casting but kept sanding holes. Hard to get it even everywhere.
Keep up the good work!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Jackieisrockin's Iron Patriot (IM3) Pepakura Files! Links in first post! Bicep ad

i might be crazy but i tried to sharpen it with gimp, what you guys think??

@mujahidn- Pepakura will accept the .obj file when you load it into the software. Then, when you save it out of Pepakura, it will be in a .pdo format (you can also export it as a single .obj again if you'd like). Pepakura will modify your file to convert it to .pdo, deleting extra faces and vertices it can't use. Obj files usually need 'tuning' to work best when unfolded in Pepakura. It's easiest if you can find files already in .pdo format, or someone who is willing to help you make your .obj files work cleanly. Hope that helps.

Its very helpfully laelee ..
But i still can't convert them :facepalm .. how stupid .. lol XD ..
any one want to convert them ? :lol

Wow, I got so over my Ironman saturation limit that I overlooked this. I'm so glad I decided to check this out :thumbsup

@dimebagslash- I had the same problems on my first helmet. Are you trying to slush-cast and then skim with bondo before sanding?

@joker53- I assume the cannon is solid? The servo mounts will add a lot of rigidity to the pieces, as well as eliminating a 'floppy' connection between the arm and cannon.

@mujahidin- PM sent

@laellee The first helmet I bondo'd I gave up because a mixture or me putting too much bondo on and the slush cast was too thick so didnt run. The second I used smooth on to slush and the idea was to sand away the paper. Well thats what the tutorial did. Not sure if I should have used more. Its expensive though so think ill go for bondo again this time rather then risk burning more money.

Got a portable big heater from work today to counter the weather. One of those big heat lamp ones. So figured I could set up in the old asbestos shed. Its a rented house so cant do anything else with the space. Cant wait to get working on it this weekend. 12 hr shifts and a baby stop me working on it on days.

@dimebagslash- I had the same problems on my first helmet. Are you trying to slush-cast and then skim with bondo before sanding?

@joker53- I assume the cannon is solid? The servo mounts will add a lot of rigidity to the pieces, as well as eliminating a 'floppy' connection between the arm and cannon.

@mujahidin- PM sent

The cannon is solid.. like you say.. The connection point make it floppy..tomorrow ill be going to my local hardware store to look some servo and gear... Maybe ill find inspiration by looking at mini 4wd cars.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

@laellee The first helmet I bondo'd I gave up because a mixture or me putting too much bondo on and the slush cast was too thick so didnt run. The second I used smooth on to slush and the idea was to sand away the paper. Well thats what the tutorial did. Not sure if I should have used more. Its expensive though so think ill go for bondo again this time rather then risk burning more money.

Got a portable big heater from work today to counter the weather. One of those big heat lamp ones. So figured I could set up in the old asbestos shed. Its a rented house so cant do anything else with the space. Cant wait to get working on it this weekend. 12 hr shifts and a baby stop me working on it on days.

Oh OK. Well, here' what I do that works:
After finish pepping, I try to sharpen up any messy edges or corners with a razor blade. On the inside, I tape in carstock 'tubes' (usually extruded triangles) across the width at different points to help square up the helmet and reinforce it for the resin weight. I also make sure there are no 'high spots' on the helmet; filling low areas later is easy, highs will become a pain in the a**. Then resin my outside, let dry, pull out my insides and resin-and-fiberglass the interior for strength. If there's enough extra resin, I quickly scuff the outside with sandpaper and recoat that too. After it's cured, I break out the cheapest can of primer I can find, and give the outside a good coat. The guide coat makes it a lot easier to see where my problem areas are, and also better depth perception that's lost in the white.
I then start skim coating the large areas with a LIGHT auto-body filler. After hardening, I sand smooth (with block if possible) with #150, spray on another light coat of primer, and sand this down to see if I've got problem areas.I usually skim and sand at least twice more, and then I repeat the process on the smaller areas of the helmet working down until done. It's ok to sand down to paper on sharp edges if you want them rounded, but don't go crazy, and be sure to skim and sand over any exposed paper. When I think I'm getting close to done (which I'm always wrong) I prime the whole helmet again, wet it down and shine a light across it to see how it looks. When ready I primer-seal the whole thing and wet-sand.
The way I do this will give great results, but IT IS TEDIOUS, and there is no instant gratification for me. My best advice is always spend a little more for good lightweight filler, and when in doubt skim thinner coats. It's a lot quicker to skim two thin coats than it is to sand down one fat layer.
Ha, didn't want to take this much space to respond, but oh well. Hope this helps at least a little.

The cannon is solid.. like you say.. The connection point make it floppy..tomorrow ill be going to my local hardware store to look some servo and gear... Maybe ill find inspiration by looking at mini 4wd cars.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

I would use fiberglass resin to reinforce the cannon. Use a metal pin with a servo horn like pictured, fiberglass in bushings and stops, then notch out a hole for your servo. A solenoid could be used as well I suppose. either way, the resin will strengthen the foam, while the bushings will keep the cannon rotating smoothly. Here's a a quick render of something that would work as well (ugly but functional)
linkage.png
ttre4719.jpg

@ lallee.
No problem, thanks for the in depth advice. Better do some research into good body filler. Here in the UK not sure which is best. Can't wait to hammer this thing. 2 Weeks at work then off for a bit so going to set up the heater etc. Hate the idea of messing it up in the winter but want it for the new film so no dice. Going to wait to start the thread until I Bondo the helmet. Wasted a thread in the past. Got some pictures along the way though.

J

Quovadis0920- Thats a great idea! I have always wanted to know if/how to fiberglass foam parts. Do you think you could go more into detail on how to do it? If not then its no big deal :)

Joker53- Thanks for the pics! They helped with the handplates and defining the shapes on the forearm a bit :) Good luck with the cannon!

Dimebagslash- Good luck with your build! Looking forward to some progress on it soon! :thumbsup

Laellee- Awesome! That so far seems like a good way for the cannon to pivot :)

Currently working on the shoulder. Its a kind of hard shape to get right and its also 3 separate parts. Trying to get it done as fast and good as i can for all of you out there! :thumbsup

Last edited:

found the picture of ip full forearm view , dont know if you guys seen this before... and laelle... thanks for the idea unfortunately i got sidetrack... my laptop adapter blow a fuse on me.. so need to wait (damn it :darnkids) project servo arm is postpone... but the ip build continue..

Attachments

• iron-man-3-set-suits-truck.jpg
    iron-man-3-set-suits-truck.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:

load the pphoto and we can see if we have found it before

Can anyone tell if the boots are the same as the mark 6?

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

iron_patriot_w_i_p__by_sgthk-d5nj0yt.jpg

This guys interpretation render on deviant art with War Machine influences:

Browsing deviantART

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back