Dyed blue Magnoli fabric?

Right, ta Risu - helped me make up my mind about what to ask for. If the lining doesn't affect the drape of the trousers but increases the durability then i guess it's a simple decision.

Just waiting to see if Steve replies now, if not i think i'll use your improved method for the blue trousers.

Steve Ricks ain't been in touch - even if he wasn't going to give away his secrets i'd rather he let me know than just not reply at all...

Anyway, the fabric is coming tomorrow and i've ordered royal blue, pearl grey and teal Rit dyes ready to finish the blue stuff. I'll be following Risu's mix (7/8 caps RB, 3.5 tsp grey and 2 tsp teal), and hope for the best!

If anyone wants, i'll post some pictures when i get the finished trousers back from Baron Boutique.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Again, you're going to have to add some navy blue in that mix to make it screen accurate. Mine didn't come out dark enough.

Thanks. I know it looks like i'm not listening but i've only got one go at this, so wanted to have a decent idea of what i'm doing before i do it. Just got the material and the dye'll be coming soon, so i'll just have to take the plunge.

One thing to note though - the blue material is darker than it looks on pictures, so i'm wondering whether the actual suit is MUCH darker than i thought.

And Risu - when you dyed your swatch did you use the same amount of dye you used for the whole 5 yards? I'm just wondering whether the colour will come out differently as i'm only using 1.5 yards of material.

The amount of dye used depends on a lot of factors. My amounts were more of a mix ratio. I used them in my washing machine on the "super" sized load setting. No idea how many gallons that was. As long as you keep the dye ratios the same each time and dye all of the fabric, you can work your way toward a good color. Use less than you expect to need at first, then use more to make it darker, etc.

Right, i've finally finished! First of all, i'm sorry but i forgot to take pictures before i sent the fabric off to BB.

I used a modified version of Risu's recommended dye mix, and believe i've produced the perfect colour! I don't have any swatches of the actual suit (and i've never seen it in person), so i can only go by what i see on the monitor. But, as far as i can tell i've hit the nail on the head.

Looking at every reference picture i could get my hands on, and Steve Ricks's pictures from his dyeing attempts, i am fairly confident that it's spot on.

In case anyone wants to do their own, here's my mix:

Rit Royal Blue liquid - 3 caps
Rit Pearl Grey powder - 1.5 tsp
Rit Teal powder - 1 tsp
Dylon Navy powder - 1 tsp

(The measures here was one of those kitchen measuring spoons, so the quantities were all even)

I mixed this up in a cup of hot tap water and poured it into the washing machine (front loader) with a 500g bag of salt (i used Dylon, but i think you can just use table salt). I also rinsed out the dregs in the dye cup with another cup of hot water and put this in the machine, too.
After putting the fabric in (which i soaked in warm water first), i put the machine on a standard 60 degree wash and left it to it. That's it really.

The end result was, well, let's just say i'm extremely pleased! It looks exactly like i'd expected it to from the photographs.

Oh, by the way! I used 1.5 yards of fabric , so just alter the amounts of dye to suit (ha!) your needs. As long as you keep the ratios the same you should achieve the same colour.

It's now been sent off to BB with the other 1.5 yards of brown fabric to be made into a pair of pair of pants. it should take a few weeks, but i'll be sure to put some photos up once i get 'em.

You are making me so tempted to dye my Magnoli fabric before sending it off to BB. But I've heard that dying it makes it dark enough to look screen accurate in pictures, but not in person, which is where I want it to be accurate. Anyone know if it's worth dying it if I don't care how it looks in pictures/on film? :confused

It is definitely worth dyeing. I don't think it looks that dark, but it looks a lot better after doing it!

If it helps you decide, here's the reference pictures i went by (some of them are bigger hi-res, so PM me if you want me to email you the original - not that experienced with PhotoBucket):

3487713842_36cc28ff57_o.jpg

Doctor_Who___The_Suit_by_deaddoll00.png

dw5.jpg

DW305-0013.jpg

112.jpg

As you can see by the photos, the colour varies A LOT depending on where it was taken. These photos show the closest to the actual colour i managed to achieve. Take into account the slight white glaze produced by the flash:

doctor_who_exhibition_009_by_pippas_stock-d38xl5e.jpg

doctor_who_exhibition_011_by_pippas_stock-d38xlfl.jpg

Giving a slight bit of lenience for monitor brightness, colour, etc. the above photo is IDENTICAL to my finished fabric!

These were some more of the 'real life' colours of the suit i decided to go for:

The-waters-of-mars-doctor-who-8405356-1024-768.jpg

wom_doctor-adelaide4.jpg

These are fairly good pictures to go by as they are production stills, and they don't have that 'glaze' of some of the other photos due to no direct flash being used. You can see how the fabric actually looks like cotton now rather than having that shiny finish. Even here though, it looks like two different shades of blue.

And here's a mockup produced by someone that they were going to send to a Spoonflower-style place:

TenBluewithRed.jpg

And these are just more reference:

Doctor-Who-Publicity-Photos-2005-2009-david-tennant-11009183-1200-1800.jpg

Doctoronthephone.jpg

Hope this helps you decide!

I just finished dying the Magnoli fabric, using "cobalt blue" fibre reactive dye.

The downside was that, unlike the small-scale tests, I had a hell of a time getting the colour that I wanted. The upside being that I got a nice, even colour that's really rich, and the dye didn't stain any surfaces, as Rit would have. I'm still not sure if I nailed it, my gut tells me I didn't, but it's closer.

Here are a couple of images of my fabric once dyed. It's hard to capture the true colour, and it looks like a rich, almost royal blue in low light.

IMG_20110830_102918.jpg

Indoors.

IMG_20110830_102816.jpg

In direct/very bright sunlight.

Thanks! I'll post pictures when the completed suit comes back to me.
If anyone is interested, I'll dig up the quantity I used to get the mix.

Also looks like the Magnoli fabric is currently out of stock. Sort of glad I didn't know that when I dyed the batch as that would have added a lot more anxiety to the process.:lol

This thread has been helpful, but I was wondering if you guys have considered dying the Baron Boutique blue suit fabric. I got the blue Tennant suit from BB, and, of course, the color's way off.
I have two concerns: one, the BB Tennant suits have the pinstripes as a sort of print, not a weave like Magnoli. If dyed, would they bleed or something? Two, I don't have a washing machine of my own. XD
Also, the brightness of the pinstripes are my main concern; I'd be satisfied if they weren't so bright, and didn't make the whole suit look purple. An acceptable alternative would be to fade them somehow, leaving the suit with the general blue undertone.

Suggestions?

On problem off the bat is that as the printed stripes peel off, you might find that the dye didn't take underneath.

I should have my suit next week, so I can post what I came up with. The technique I used didn't need a washing machine, in fact, I wouldn't have been all that comfortable putting the cotton in my old machine.

The stripes would start to peel off in the first wash? Dang.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with -- I've had this Tennant suit for months now, and before the NY ComicCon, I wanted to get the color spot-on.

OK, got the suit back, really happy with the colour - I'm sure it could be improved upon, but this dye is a great option. Will post pics later.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back