Buzz Lightyear (2 year old) COMPLETED!!!!!

Mojo_Turbo

SPACEANGERBANNERCOSTUME2.jpg

buzzrefphoto.jpg

I want to do a "good" Buzz Lightyear armor costume for my 2 year old son. So right away it's not big, it doesn't have to be crazy detailed, it just has to be "better" than what is out there.

I was intregued by the wal-mart trash can iron man armor, but I don't think I have the "gun" required to put it together (or how much said tool would cost)

I am a firm believer that "quality" can be both "good and cheap" as long as someone is willing to put in the time. So I have tons of "time" just not tons of money.

That said, what are my options besides corrugated cardboard and duck tape?

I want this to be good and quality, so I am willing to do whatever it takes.

I am planning on a mixed media costume, so it won't entirely be a suit of armor,..

And I promise that I won't neglect this thread once I get some answers, I am a firm believer in pictures and progress and updates.

DEADLINE: October 8th

Thank you in advance for any help.

Full progress blog: http://mojoturbocostumes.wikispaces.com/Buzz+Lightyear+Costume

Last edited:
Re: Buzz Lightyear (2 year old) costume build - DEADLINE Oct 8

I was about to say we could do it... But dont think a solid material would be ideal for the kid of 2 year. You need something light like foam and flexible.

I would start by buying the Buzz Lightyear toy replica (around $45). It comes with a COA and is supposed to be 'movie accurate' in size and detail. Use it as your base to get the right details, and perhaps even scale it to fit.

I picked one up myself with this in mind. I can do some measurments for you if you'd like. How tall is he w/shoes on?

As been mentioned, plastic may be too heavy and even uncomfortable. Michaels sells foam called foamies. It comes in sheets that could be cut to shape.

Draw up some patterns, cut the foamies sheets, glue together. Perhaps create shape and bulkiness by a two layered shirt stitched together, stuffed with cotton.

For the dome, will need a clear plastic dome/globe cut with a hobby knife (not fun) or with a dremel. Maybe something along these lines http://www.superiorlighting.com/Pro..._medium=free_feed&utm_campaign=googleproducts

for the laser, get a key chain laser pointer

Boots can be modified rain boots

Last edited:

I saw the foamies and that would work for arms and legs, but I am thinking the chest armor and "dome" should be plastic - with a body suit underneath he should be comfortable enough. So many of the costumes out now, already look like "foamies" to begin with

Mojo! It's pirates on October 8th or NOTHING!........Just kidding!

Have you ever tried to dress a 2 year old in a costume? Let's just say when my son was the Undead Monkey his costume stayed on for about 30 minutes and each pieces slowly came off.

I would make it out of foam and make it modular and compact because you may find yourself carrying each piece as you son slowly removes each piece and doesn't want to put them back on.

Some guy awhile back made his nephew a Boba Fett costume with foam. I can't find the thread but he basically did the heat, bend, paint method.

By the way...what's the wifey going to be?

wife... maybe nothing.

My son has already done Halloween 2x
1. Peter Pan
2. Random Pirate

...all pieces stayed on both times

I totally remember that Boba Fett thread, he used a foam like what you make kick boards out of, only thing is Boba Fett is very "armor plated" and Buzz is "body encompassing"

But you're right, I should revisit it for some pointers.

EDIT: Bugger do you know how hard it is to search the forums keyword "boba fett" where is that thread?

Last edited:

I would start by buying the Buzz Lightyear toy replica (around $45). It comes with a COA and is supposed to be 'movie accurate' in size and detail. Use it as your base to get the right details, and perhaps even scale it to fit.

don't you think the doll measurements wouldn't work as well for a child? Buzz is only 12" and my son is only 2x bigger at 36" - even exploded at "my son size" I think the armor would be too small. It almost has to be "exaggerated" to look right on a small frame.

IMO

Or am I wrong?

EDIT: thanks for the link "Seven" (aka my old room mate from nor cal)

Wow i think this is like the 3rd or 4th buzz thread! at this rate we're going to catch up to all the iron man threads haha. well ive been doing some research and i think that this..
Buzz Lightyear costume
would be a good base for a 2 year old.i know its cardboard and duct tape but this guy made it look pretty good.
im going to try something similar with maybe a free form pep drawing free hand. inforced with stealths suggestion of smooth on. i also seen one guy use a rubbermaid trash can as a base.
oh Yeah i was at wal mart the other day and picked up the same color paints at buzz.just went to the dvd section grabbed the video and compared colors.the cool thing was they also had the glow in the dark stuff for the green parts.
hope this helps.

I am thinking these would be the "hard" peices sculpted from foam (ala Boba Build) - I'd probably buy rubber rain boots for the shoes

buzzblueprints1.jpg

and this would be the soft fabric build (ala get my wife to sew it)

buzzblueprints2.jpg
]

* they make these gloves, but this is too big for a 2 year old: http://images.buydisneycostumes.com/kids-buzz-lightyear-gloves.jpg

and then the chest piece.... yea...that's the tough one, because its 360 all the way around and has the "dome" visor

buzzbreastplateandwingsref.jpg

Last edited:

If you decide to go the trash can route rivet guns aren't all that expensive, they're just hand tools that look sort of like a pair of pliers.

mojo what was the reference to the "gun" and the wal mart trash can armor? is that a method of building? was that the "secret" people were referring to in the master le thread? if so how do you do it?

drawings look good.you're farther that me haha.

I think riceball just answered that question above...

trash can route rivet guns aren't all that expensive

Yea, I saw em at the store for about $16 bucks, just never used one before, so I am trying to decide what is easier at this point...

1. foam and heat gun

2. plastic trash cans and rivet gun

ha yeah i was a little late on that. im a noob too.

seven the stats are as follows...

IMG_20100728_152254.jpg

36" tall from bottom of floor to top of head
29" to top of shoulders
13" from top of shoulders to waistline
21" around waistline
14" from waistline to ankles
11.5" from shoulders to wrists

no, but thanks for the link

fabricwrappedbuzz.jpg

Basically just a hard build of cardboard and foam and then wrapping each piece with colored fabric - this would work great for a kids costume - but once it got dirty.... bam... trash.

Awesome dome visor though

Last edited:

i guess he vac formed it which looks nice. what about making a mold with smooth on/resin over a metal salad bowl? im just throwin it out there haha.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back