Scratch built Star Destroyer NEW PICS WITH LIGHTS by Daniel Beck page 6

morsesith21

Sr Member
Hey guys. It has been a while since I have posted anything on this forum. I have a current thread that was started a few years ago about a scratch built star destroyer I was building. As I had stated in the forum, it was my first attempt at scratch building. It was started and then put aside while I built my snowspeeder. I was not too happy with the way the build was going because my knowledge of scratch building was minimal. I have learned so much since then by watching all you guys on here, so I decided to start over from scratch. Here are some recent pics of the build as it is near completion. Please tell me what you think. Take care!

- - - Updated - - -

The destroyer is not yet complete as you can see from the pics. The reflector domes are not yet detailed as well as the side cannons. Also the superstructure and also the upper hull are slightly lifted because the magnets are not yet put in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    488.7 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_0431.JPG
    IMG_0431.JPG
    403.6 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    507.2 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    708.8 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Re: Scratch built Star Destroyer 2nd attempt

Give yourself a pat on the back mate. This thing looks awesome. Any other photos of the rear or closer on the tower would be appreciated, just to see some other perspectives.

Wonderful job so far. Do you have pics of the actual build? :)

Agreed! So far, it's an awesome job, you kept the details close if not bang on to accurate. Looking forward to future updates.

Thanks very much guys.

sofaking, I do have many pics of the build which I am currently getting together now to display.

- - - Updated - - -

Many thanks to you scratchy and also julien as well as other because in truth it is your builds that I have been studying and learning from! I look forward to seeing yours completed!

Here are a couple pics of the bridge and tower and rear section as requested. Both areas are still under construction and none of the engines are in place yet. The detail is not accurate but it gets the idea. Plus it needs to be cleaned up a little.

IMG_0497.JPGIMG_0498.JPGIMG_0502.JPGIMG_0509.JPGIMG_0510.JPGIMG_0512.JPGIMG_0537.JPG

Ok, as per request I am going to start the build-up of my destroyer.

I kept it roughly the same size as the first destroyer I was building. The one thing I didn't do the first time around was build a frame so it was a little lopsided, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to re-due it. So first off, I started with the frame.
1 (11).JPG1 (12).JPG1 (16).JPG1 (17).JPG1 (14).JPG1 (18).JPG

After a lot of tweaking, I was finally happy with the frame so I began cutting out the panels and setting up the basic shape. My first destroyer was a bit heavy because I had used .90 styrene. This time I am using .40 thickness. It is more flimsy however, I will have enough support inside to prevent warping.
1 (6).JPG1 (5).JPG1 (7).JPG1 (8).JPG1 (9).JPG

Very nice. All that good and yummy detail that makes these things so.....intimidating.
How long is that, about 3 feet or so?
Mine is just under 2 feet.

Looks good so far. Any plans for the hanger bays? That center dowel may get in the way.

yea I cut the rib that runs directly above the main hangar bay so it can not only fit, but also the rib helps to hold down the roof.

This is an example of what the rib looks like.
IMG_0766.JPG
Another look at where it runs.
IMG_2858.JPG
It runs across the roof where the red line is.
IMG_0768.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 309

Your hanger looks nicely detailed. Mine was such a pain, and was so very much wrongly cut.
I think the clamp looks a little different, but not too different.

Good build for sure...like the effect of the paint job (seems like it flew for decades in the harsh space):)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back