Romulan Peregrine scout ship-Now a Talon fighter

Re: Romulan Peregrine scout ship

Ahh...looks great. And at such a wee scale too!

Yeah. 1/650 scale. It's only 3/8" across and 3/4" long.
Trick is to make it look 18' tall x 20' across and 40' long.

Surprising how small it is in my fingers! :love
Hard just to grip it much less file and sand it.

OK... ummm... that doesn't sound right...

Well it appears warp nacedlles on the wingtips is out of the picture for this one. I did a mock up in the hangar bay with the wings folded in the upright position as they have to be to fit in the bay and it's just too tall with the nacelles. So I set the wings with the nacelles attached off to the side for a possible future shuttle and went with two "wings" I cut off a resin part. These were the right shape and the plastic is nice and thin and will make for great wingtips. I'm thinking I could actually mount the warp engines underneath the shuttle since I have more room to play with on the underside with having to clear the tractor beam emitter and all. Hmmmmmm... If I have enough space on top after doing the underside of the ship with landing gear, I might add some long, thin weapons pods to the wingtips.

Last edited:

I'm quite enjoying this build, I can't wait to see where you go with it now.

However, I'm sure you guys will hate me for this, but wasn't the name Peregrine already used in Trek?

Ah, just looked up on memory alpha and it says this

"The designation 'Peregrine-class' was only mentioned in 'Heart of Stone', where the design was not seen. However, since the vessel in that episode was referred to as a former courier ship modified by the Maquis, it is possible this is the class name of the Federation attack fighter."

Well it's not too important if it's a never seen class and only mentioned in one episode.

It's amazing what you remember after all these years... Anyhoo! Well done on the build, I can't wait to see it finished!

Yes I have been mulling over using the name Falcon actually. Mostly because it sounds more menacing than Peregrine.
I was in a reverie last night thinking how "Balance of Terror" might have turned out if the Romulans had actually had this little ship...

Romulan Commander:
"Centurion! Prepare to launch the Falcon when we clear the comet's tail."

Imagine Kirk's surprise when he appears to be engaged with two intruders where only one existed before.

Anyway, I've decided I'm going to base the rest of the design on a combination of Federation and Romulan technologies.
This is based on the notion that the Romulans had actually stolen Federation data and used it in the design of the BOP and the shuttle.
So it will have the same nacelle design as the mother ship only mounted below on forward curved pylons resembling the grasping talons of a falcon.
The underside of the bow will match the curve of the top but then go concave with a sharp keel between the warp engines in a graceful curve to the stern where it takes a diamond shape and I have the refueling port (mount for brass rod).
The fin will start at the nose along the downward slant of the rim giving me a suggestion of a beak based on the intersection of the fin and rim.
The back of the fin will be angled to match the fin of the big ship.
On the bow will be an upward angled flat spot with an open port
in the center for a retractable phaser cannon.

I really need to draw this out but it's pretty clear in my mind now.
Birdesque rather than birdlike.

So what do you guys think about calling this the Falcon class scout ship?

Last edited:

Bird of Brey? Really? Hmmmmm...

sa6882897426-ta.jpg

Another idea for a ship class...

Talon

Romulan fighter pilot to Commander:

"They will feel the rake of our Talons!"

Shouts "Victory! as he extends arm in salute.

I like the name Talon for this little ship better than Falcon. Beak doesn't sound very threatening...but TALON...it'll grab ya! I can picture Mark Lenard saying "launch the Talon" or something.

I like the name Talon for this little ship better than Falcon. Beak doesn't sound very threatening...but TALON...it'll grab ya! I can picture Mark Lenard saying "launch the Talon" or something.

Yes... I can see it now...

Romulan_Commander_looking_at_viewer.jpg

COMMANDER: How pleasing to the eye it is. Behold a marvel in the darkness.
CENTURION: You spoke of entrapment.
COMMANDER: Its many particles will obscure their sensing device, Centurion.
ROMULAN: We enter it, Commander.
COMMANDER: Once fully obscured, we will launch the Talon and turn suddenly back upon our adversary.

Last edited:

So after input from a modeller here I've decided to call this little ship the Talon.
It's actually classed as a fighter.
Anyway, here are some pics...

IMG_0669.jpg

Romulan Commander: "Still experimental Decius. Dare I use them."

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

Funny but this view makes me think of Mothra LOL!:lol

I may have to change the shape of the windows to narrrower slits rather than triangluar slots.
Would also look more menacing. Yep slits it is!
I may even go with a loading ramp for the rear support leg.

Comments anyone?

I like it - the design and the name.

You should consider building a larger scale version when you're done with the Bird of Prey. You've put too much work into this for just a 3/4" model!

Any more progress on this? I'm really digging the design and the whole concept. More please!

Funny you should ask...

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

I've got the lower fuselage in place along with the warp struts.
I also puttied the stern and attached a phaser housing to the front. I'll mount the phaser barrel inside it.
I also turned the warp nacelle bussards using clear acrylic rod. I have two tiny aluminum nozzles all ready to go once I have the engines glued to the struts; I'm waiting to be sure they are rotated the right direction as they have a 20 degree rear slant to them like those on the big ship.
I'm talking something not much bigger than the head of a pin after all.
The upper fin was cut out in 5 mil styrene sheet.
I may use that as a template to make it out of brass.

Anyway, sorry I don't have more to show right now.
This thing keeps evolving as I go along but it's pretty faithful to the drawing right now.
I'm thinking of having the struts be mounted a little further back towards the rear of the nacelles at the moment.

Got a lot done within a very small area the past few days.

Work done on the Talon...

Brass fin!

IMG_0699.jpg

Fin and engines attached and a little Mr Surfacer 500 later...

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Test fit.

"The Romulan Commander marveled at the size of the new Talon fighter which stood before him.
The new ship literally filled the bay.
To be sure he had expected the new matter/antimatter drive and phaser cannon to require a larger spaceframe than was common for a 3-man scout, still, the sight of this odd blend of Federratioln and Romulan was oddly disquieting to him.
Romulan lives had been lost to bring Federation plans to the Empire and the Talon (and to a lesser extent his new flag ship) had its origins in Federation, as much as Romulan, technology..."

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

More to come as the Talon continues to evolve!

:thumbsup

Version II next... I add a talon!

Last edited:
I am trying to imagine my thick fingers working on soemthing this finely scaled and detailed. Which makes me all the more impressed. Awesome work.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back