Revell X-Wing Conversion

Archive&Future

Sr Member
I picked up a couple of Revell kits, there's a TIE on the way too, which I intend to convert nicely. This X-Wing is destined for a Dagobah diorama, but I thought I'd put a thread up for the conversion process itself

tumblr_mkw59r2GMp1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Out of the box, there are about 7 sprues, nothing very interesting here. The paint job on the parts is abysmal

tumblr_ml05xfByrP1rvpchho1_500.jpg

This is the kit all built up; took me about 25 minutes to cut and file all the parts and fit them together (badly)

tumblr_ml05zpneAP1rvpchho1_500.jpg

The proportions seem decent enough, but the detail on this kit is some of the worst I've seen from the EasyKit lineup; even if it did cost little.

tumblr_ml062iFtgY1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_ml0649e8St1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_ml0655R8fu1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Overall a very disappointing kit, I wasn't exactly expecting FineMolds quality but I'd have thought it'd be fractionally better than this. Oh well! I like a challenge :cool

Yeah this sounds like its going to be a great build. I too am excited to see your Dagobah!!

*edit: I love how much use your cutting board has seen! (I had to buy a new one recently lol)

is that a repop of the old MPC snap kit?

No two entirely different beasts. I have both, and in my opinion, the Revell kit is way better than the MPC snap kit. The MPC snap kit has raised panel lines, the pilot figure is horrible, and worse yet, molded into the cockpit along with a bunch of other problems. The Revell may be soft in detail in areas, but I think it's a much better palette to work with

I think the Revell is fair for the price. Looking forward to see what you will do to it!

It's true, as blakeh1 said, it is a good starting palette.

Also, ModelZone happened to be having a sale so I miiight have bought a couple of things...heh...among those couple of things was a Revell tank I bought for kitbashing. The X-Wing seems to be missing the "vents" at the base of the laser cannons, and incredibly the spoked wheels fitted exactly

tumblr_ml3j1zFYEa1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_ml3j2vabM91rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_ml3kad7YcA1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I also added some inner engine detail with some filed-down wheels

tumblr_ml3kc7kD5R1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Also some added rear details, just to make things more interesting really.

tumblr_ml3kmluJ9s1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_ml3kfdFRSI1rvpchho1_500.jpg

MmmMMmMmM PPRrrimmeerr

tumblr_ml3kmleBJs1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Last edited:
Given the fact that the MPC Snap X-Wing and the Revell snap X-Wing are almost identical in size, you can also rob bits off of one for the other. I like your incorporation of the additional tank bits. Which tank kit did you get for greeblies?

Given the fact that the MPC Snap X-Wing and the Revell snap X-Wing are almost identical in size, you can also rob bits off of one for the other. I like your incorporation of the additional tank bits. Which tank kit did you get for greeblies?

I may have to eBay an MPC kit in that case. I'm using these tanks for parts:

Revell 1:72 Soviet Battle Tank T-80B Model Kit RE03104

Airfix 1:76 WWI Male Tank Model Kit HOA01315

Frankly the WWI tank is not a bounty of parts for this kind of model, but the springs came in useful

I don't think you necessarily need to eBay one as the greeblies you are adding look better than what the MPC kit offers. I just thought I would mention it for those modelers who already have the MPC kit and might want to salvage something from it.

One other nice advantage of the MPC kit is since it has waterslide decals, one could do a full repaint of the Revell kit and use them (making modifications as needed in certain spots) if one didn't want to do a full mask and paint of the red stripes. That used to be a problem given the size of those wing stripes, but with several brands of tape coming from Japan now which behave exactly the same as Tamiya tape and are already cut into very skinny widths (1, 2, 2.5 mm) it has gotten a lot easier to mask and paint those wing stripes on and get them nice and straight.

I don't think you necessarily need to eBay one as the greeblies you are adding look better than what the MPC kit offers. I just thought I would mention it for those modelers who already have the MPC kit and might want to salvage something from it.

One other nice advantage of the MPC kit is since it has waterslide decals, one could do a full repaint of the Revell kit and use them (making modifications as needed in certain spots) if one didn't want to do a full mask and paint of the red stripes. That used to be a problem given the size of those wing stripes, but with several brands of tape coming from Japan now which behave exactly the same as Tamiya tape and are already cut into very skinny widths (1, 2, 2.5 mm) it has gotten a lot easier to mask and paint those wing stripes on and get them nice and straight.

Hmm those waterslides sound tempting. I just got hold of some masking fluid for the first time, I've been fiddling around with that; but I guess that's more for organic shapes than clear cut lines. I reckon I may be able to get away with some very fine applications of masking tape and scotch tape. Any mistakes would likely go unnoticed, as this is destined to be covered in sludge and swamp debris.

I'm still toying with the idea of a Dagobah diorama, but I don't think it will be for this build. I'd like to build this one straight up as Red-5; and start another Revell at a later date when I have fewer projects going on.

Anyway, I notched the ends of the guns, and drilled out wider holes in the vents

tumblr_mnu3at6icQ1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Rough assembly and second primer coat

tumblr_mnu3ccDRZW1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Sprayed with a watery off-white to get a mottled pre-shade. I'll carefully brush a thin layer of base coat on over this

tumblr_mnu3feBar81rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnu3grVwz71rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnu3i0z7Hk1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnu3ickSN31rvpchho1_500.jpg

More to come tomorrow

This same model is my next build. Thanks for sharing.

Aha! Good luck with it, I'm sure it will come out well.

I started main painting also today; I thinly brushed on an-off white, then drybrushed a couple of lighter off-whites; and then gave the whole thing a grimy mud/oil wash.

tumblr_mnvlmkgI9g1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I also masked and painted some of the red markings

tumblr_mnvlpcg9y81rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnvlq6D6Dg1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnvlqvFxe41rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnvlrq6l0k1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Update time!

I masked off, and painted, the other three wing markings

tumblr_mnzl0zxQOL1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Then I masked and painted the yellow nose markings

tumblr_mnzl3mQTMa1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnzl4gHSU21rvpchho1_500.jpg

I also painted the canopy in a bluish grey, painted the cockpit details in, and glued the sub-assembly together

tumblr_mnzl6tl0zR1rvpchho1_500.jpg

Nice and easy! Weathering and detailing next.

The photos I took today show the true colour of the X-wing; before, the lamp in my room made everything too yellowy.
Made a base from stained pine and polished brass rod

tumblr_mocat5BwuL1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mocauxA5Fz1rvpchho1_500.jpg

tumblr_mocaxlYTne1rvpchho1_500.jpg

I still need to weather the gun tips and drybrush the engines some more, but it's basically finished. Very easy, very fun.

These little Revell kits are very nice I have 3 of them in primer....nice job
I like the tank part u used for the heat sink fins!

They are indeed, Revell seems to get a bit of a bad rap over here sometimes, but if you know what you're doing then they really can turn out well! It'd be great to see what you do with your 3; I'm thinking about maybe buying a few more and making the whole red squadron :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back