Ralph McQuarrie Millennium Falcon

It looked amazing before, but the paint is really making it pop! I think I'm starting to prefer this RMQ version to the film version. I still can't get over that this started as a Revell EasyKit though.

Man, this is such a great project, I wish I could keep my own moving at this kind of pace. Can you give us some details on the chipped-paint technique?

I like the tonal variations on the panel colors... gives it just enough "Falcon" look to make it the "What a piece of junk" Luke saw. Do you also plan to add the two blast damage areas as seen in the bay 94 painting? I can understand not adding them, given all the work done to this point and I would be torn between doing them or not.

It looked amazing before, but the paint is really making it pop! I think I'm starting to prefer this RMQ version to the film version. I still can't get over that this started as a Revell EasyKit though.
Thanks Haystack Hair, I'm starting to get used to it painted....and being old school, I was used to rattle cans, hand painting & airbrushing (a bit) with compressed gas in a aerosol can......this was my first go with a compressor & a more advanced airbrush.....I really messed up the first coat & thought I'd ruined it!

The Revell Kit is a first class kit to modify, the plastic is really soft & the ugly detailing is easily removable....I'm surprised there aren't more guys creating YT variants out there
This build is so cool. Too bad this won't be a kit. I really like how you arranged the engine bells. Great details!
Thanks jjsmlee, the engine bells to me are a throw back to the Apollo engines & Eagle Transporter style, you never really see the engines on any version of the Falcon, concept or the filming model....so I thought...'what the hell'
Man, this is such a great project, I wish I could keep my own moving at this kind of pace. Can you give us some details on the chipped-paint technique?
The chipped paint effect is dead easy....a guy called John Simmons over at Scale Model Addict introduced me to it.....first paint the area with the revealed paint colour get a sponge (i used a kitchen sponge) and rip a bit off to get a random texture, dip the rough sponge into liquid latex or Copydex, dab the latex onto the area randomly...perhaps around the edges where chipping would likely happen, then paint with your top coat. When dry rub off the rubber with your thumb...thats it
I like the tonal variations on the panel colors... gives it just enough "Falcon" look to make it the "What a piece of junk" Luke saw. Do you also plan to add the two blast damage areas as seen in the bay 94 painting? I can understand not adding them, given all the work done to this point and I would be torn between doing them or not.

Yep JM, I'm planning to.....I'm gonna have to brave the airbrush again though, thanks for the comment.

So,....these next images look like I've stepped back to the beginning again but its the underside. Heres a view of the new skin on the underside, just paneling to do.
The open area is where the landing gear comes out:

Underside1.jpg

...and with doors closed, I'll be making individual doors to hang down when gears are down:

Underside2.jpg

Thanks again for your support
John

The top was going so well I completely forgot about the underside! It's like watching your favorite movie all over again! Beautiful work on the top BTW!

Thanks for the comments guys, the extra week has helped no end, it also ended up being a very busy week in work, with tiredness & having to bring a work computer home to do some graphics, I'm feeling frustrated that I'm not using this extra time to it's full, thats why I haven't posted any updates.....I have been working on the underside, but haven't had time to photo.......anyway heres what I've been up to:

I re-did the radar dish, this is the redundant Finemolds 1/72 (I bought a larger one for my FM Falcon off Scratchy)
NewNewDish.jpg

Top Shot.....dish & Turret still not painted:
Topshot.jpg

Some panelling & the Gear Bays:
Below4.jpg

Closer on the gear bays:
Below3.jpg

Below2.jpg

Below1.jpg

More to do, more to do
John

This is freakin amazing!! I mean- it's already mind-blowing to see people do amazing builds of the original,
but this is an entirely different version of another masterpiece!
Love it! Love it! Can't wait till its done!

Hmmm I'm not really feeling the red any more, it just...hmm..doesn't feel quite right. Not sure, just my opinion.
I can understand this, since McQuarrie didn't use red on the Falcon in any of his paintings (that I'm aware of). However, I think the red panels keep the overall appearance from being too monotone, and they create a visual bridge between McQuarrie's paintings and the filming model.

Hmmm I'm not really feeling the red any more, it just...hmm..doesn't feel quite right. Not sure, just my opinion.
I can understand this, since McQuarrie didn't use red on the Falcon in any of his paintings (that I'm aware of). However, I think the red panels keep the overall appearance from being too monotone, and they create a visual bridge between McQuarrie's paintings and the filming model.
Ha, I'm not sure about anything, as Angel said on a post on the previous page, the RMQ paintings look like the ship was metallic or at least had a reflective sheen, I decided like Zombie said to flesh out, as though ILM had gone with Ralph's design.....I agree perhaps there may be too much red,....but I can tone that down if needed when I can view the whole picture, thanks for the interest guys
John

Some more of the underside etc, some of this I'm not happy with & will go back & re-do

The ramp is temporary, I like the extending ramp in RMQ's paintings, I made this a a test, but I think whoever would be boarding would bump their head halfway up the ramp:
tempramp.jpg

The gear doors.....made quickly & it shows, I'll remove these & ensure all are the same angles:
flaps.jpg

tempramp2.jpg

The time is up for the competition, the organiser extended the deadline by another week, but it unfortunately worked out that I was very busy at my day job & I even had to bring home a works computer, very frustrating.....two deadlines

Thanks for looking, John

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back