Ralph McQuarrie Millennium Falcon

If you ask me - I almost like the look of the McQuarrie Falcon better then what appeared in the film.

Its sleeker and more "realistic" looking - not the spaceships of the late 70's-early 90's that are basically floating trash dumps with anything and everything bolted on to the hulls.

IDK - just my opinion.
McQuarrie was ahead of his time there.

The progress looks amazing!
Subscribed.

I never gave it much thought about which is a better design, but I got to say that your build is influencing me! Really well done!

I keep checking this thread for progress. Very impressed so far. Definitely a cool design that would easily work in movie context as a cousin or later model from the same company to the type of ship the MF is in the movies.

Wow man.
A worthy hommage to the design style of McQuarrie.
I really enjoy this thread.
Awesome progress, John! McQuarrie would be proud : )
Thanks Wouldchop & crackerjazz, as I said before, when I see the concept paintings of SW, I can't help but get excited, it must be in my head that these images were probably the earliest images I'd seen before I saw SW back in '77
I really like this!!! Keep posting progress pics my friend!
I will, each step Harish, thanks
The paint job really gives it that "lived in" look of the original trilogy, awesome stuff!
Thanks LordSarvain (hopefully that lived in look will return in the new SW films, ha!
This build is a delight! I love your approach and your choice of detail, it is totally in line with the ILM style, while honoring McQ's concepts. Your surface texture is so well integrated, its like it could be another 1300-type freighter. Really looking forward to your finished paint job (although it looks great in gray primer).

If it is not too much trouble, when you finish her would you be able to give us a list of the various kits used for the greebs? Nothing as comprehensive as a part map, just a list.
Thanks for your comments Bondo, yep I'll certainly list all the kits I've bashed
"What a piece of junk!"

Damn you Mr J, mind-blowing once again!

-Angel
Thankyou my friend, what are you up to these days?
So nice to see this come to life.

If i may ask, how did you do the chipped paint look ?

Keep rockin'

Cheers,
Wasili
Thanks Wasili, I used liquid latex & a sponge for the chipped paint,.....I sprayed the bottom layer a bit darker than the surrounding area, ripped a bit off a kitchen sponge to get a random texture, applied some latex to the sponge then dabbed it onto the model, then I masked off the area I wanted to paint & sprayed it with the top coat.
When the paint was dry I rubbed off the bumpy latex.
If you ask me - I almost like the look of the McQuarrie Falcon better then what appeared in the film.
Its sleeker and more "realistic" looking - not the spaceships of the late 70's-early 90's that are basically floating trash dumps with anything and everything bolted on to the hulls.
IDK - just my opinion.
McQuarrie was ahead of his time there.
The progress looks amazing!
Subscribed.
I know....It is a cool design, McQ was AMAZING, the Falcon that we got in the film was my first love, but this one is my bit on the side:)
I never gave it much thought about which is a better design, but I got to say that your build is influencing me! Really well done!
Thanks salmon, this whole site influences me, theres some fantastic work here
I keep checking this thread for progress. Very impressed so far. Definitely a cool design that would easily work in movie context as a cousin or later model from the same company to the type of ship the MF is in the movies.
Yes I agree Too Much Garlic, It's a pity George didn't realise that in the prequels, different YT's SHOULD have shown up in those films, possibly a bit newer with brighter livery,.....missed opportunity, the McQ Falcon could have eventually been realised for those films.

Some images of where I'm at, the docking tube on the starboard side realised
walldetails.jpg

Greeblies added to the side walls:
walldetails2.jpg

walldetails3.jpg

The rear is going to be a line of these nozzles:
nozzels.jpg

Thanks very much for the encouragement & interest in this project, it really does help keep me going (it's easy to abandon projects or to move on to another), I really want to get this one finished

John

It does sound very exciting, and what a great reference to base the designs on, if a McQ Falcon shape makes an appearance it would probably correct all the assumptions I'm making.

Thanks for the comments Avanaut, I'm a BIG fan of your work.

I'm moving on with this build so i should be able to post some more pics tonight

J

The entire ship is just a work of art, but the radar dish... even MORE so. How small the model is and how you've preserved the delicate nature of Ralph's artwork is just incredible!

Thanks JM, nearly finished the topside....just really the turret to do then some more painting

I got the engine bells in (still a bit of tweaking to do to them):

Engines1.jpg

Engine4.jpg

Engines2.jpg

Thanks for looking
J

Thanks Fuzzual,

I've done some more tonight:

I know JM made some nice comments with the radar dish but it looked too small to me compared to the painting, so it's being modified:

Rearagain.jpg

DockingringPS.jpg

cockpitfront.jpg

DockingRing2.jpg

DockingRing.jpg

Thanks again for looking
John

Awesome. It's probably not supposed to be like that, but I like the kind of pinch to the upper rear skirt at the engines on the right hand side, where it's more straight than curved compared to the other side, when looking at the ship from behind. Gives it that used and beaten up look where things aren't as pristine as when the star ship came off the assembly line.

It's very sophisticated. I love this better than the one in the movie.
Great works.
Katsu

Thanks Katsu, it's a different design alright, but the Movie Falcon is my real love

Really nice work! I love Ralph's work. Used to just drink it in when I was a kid.
Thanks jock, same as me, I remember studying Ralph's SW paintings as a kid....beautiful

Awesome. It's probably not supposed to be like that, but I like the kind of pinch to the upper rear skirt at the engines on the right hand side, where it's more straight than curved compared to the other side, when looking at the ship from behind. Gives it that used and beaten up look where things aren't as pristine as when the star ship came off the assembly line.
Hadn't noticed that Too Much Garlic....hmmm I might use your explanation;)

PAINT!!

PAINT, I'm still not happy with it but you should have seen it last night, I was panicking, I thought that was it....game over.

Did a bit tonight and I've covered most of the embarrassing parts (there is a bit of overspray...I can fix that)

PaintJob5.jpg

PaintJob4.jpg

Paintjob3.jpg

PaintJob2.jpg

PAINTJOB.jpg

Wow, good catch! There are so many excellent little details to look at on this build that I hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. Now that I know it's there, I agree completely--it's a subtle thing that gives the ship that much more character.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back