LoadingPlatform's 2014 Model Contest Entry (Captain America's 1942 Harley Davidson)

INFLUX

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'd like to enter the 2014 model contest with my (hopeful) submission of Captain America's custom 1942 Harley Davidson.

I've had this project on my mind and collecting dust in my closet for some time now, but I didn't get around to working on it until today because of this contest :)
I have this Marvel select action figure of Cap (pictured) my wife bought me when we first saw the movie and I always wanted to display him on his bike.
I had bought an unopened 1:12 scale IMAI 1980 FLH model kit on evilbay a few years ago but I opened it up this month and the darn thing was a mess. The plastic was very brittle, broken parts rattling around in the box, and I didn't like the proportions (I'm just keeping it to kit bash the parts).
Turns out Marvel Select figures are closer to 1:9 scale.
So on this May 4th I picked up a really nice 1:9 scale Italeri Models U.S. WWII Motorcycle kit. (auction ID can be provided for date verification)
This is an excellent kit with great detail, But as I got deeper into research I noticed it's not spot on accurate to Cap's custom Harley.
The Army equipment/embellishments are there, the gun rack, ammo can, blackout lights, opened fenders and so on... but the actual mechanics and structure of the bike closer resemble a more modern "beefy" 1990's era Harley Davidson Fat Boy painted and embellished to look like a WW2 era WLA.

So Last week I was lucky enough to stumble across the perfect listing for what I needed and I picked up an auction for a lot of 3 loose with missing parts diecast 1:9 and 1:10 scale matchbox type Harley Davidson models. (auction ID can be provided for date verification)
I'm going to kitbash these, along with the the Italeri Kit, and the IMAI kit, plus scratch build the custom details unique to Captain America's bike like the front mounted rocket launchers, and the rear flamethrower as "Upgraded" in the movie by Howard Stark.

I don't have very much experience Model building, but I've been following this forum for a few years now in envy and wonder for the talented builders and the creations they post here, so I wanted to try and use this opportunity as motivation and give it my best effort.

Attachments

• Captain America Harley model begin.jpg
    Captain America Harley model begin.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Re: LoadingPlatform's 2014 Model Contest Entry (Captain America's 1942 Harley Davidso

20140531_232616.jpg

Yeah... I got very thrown off this week with a family emergency and I didn't get to finish.
but I'm still going to update this thread and finish my model.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back