"I present to you, the ballistic missile submarine, RED OCTOBER

No problem. If you want some of the akula class and the dsrv, I have a bunch of photos of both. By the way just a little side note on the akula, the director had us remove 6" of the hull from the center to make the sub shorter. He said he wanted it to look more aggressive. so if you are trying to match the "can of olives" as we called it you should check the length compared to the real thing.

Good luck

minieffects

Well, after all these new photos popped up, I had ALOT of work to do. So, here's the results of the body redo:

redoctcolluz1.jpg

As you can see, the whole body's been smoothed down, and a few details have been added(not done yet). I chose to have the hatches fore and aft raised. This way, they're easy to paint/mask. if a builder wants total accuracy, then they can sand them down. They're less than .10 MM thick. I've also started on the Hydro drive, and am pretty happy so far. This whole model should be ready for silicon by Monday. I'll have the detail updates this weekend.

redoct1oi1.jpg

Thanks again to all who've helped. The begining of this was a far cry from the studio model, but i think we've succeded in making this work..

YES . now you are on the right way .

i love the red october too, these studio photos are great reference.

i´m so excited to see your finished model, great work so far .

-joerg

Minieffects, thanks a lot — those are great photos.

What more can you tell us about the work you did? I assume you guys were planning to shoot dry for wet as well. Was there going to be blue screen work involved? Any stories / facts / anecdotes you can share?

As an aside to anyone here who has worked on a film: Yes, we are interested in your work. No matter how tedious or aggravating the job was, even if it ended up getting cut in editing or if the movie bombed, you have fans somewhere. We love to hear your stories and see your work.

-Mike

Minieffects, thanks a lot — those are great photos.[/b]

No problem, glad I could help.

What more can you tell us about the work you did? I assume you guys were planning to shoot dry for wet as well. Was there going to be blue screen work involved? Any stories / facts / anecdotes you can share?[/b]

Well we did shoot everything dry for wet so no blue screen was used that I can recall. We smoked up the stage and shot against black. We also built rock outcroppings for Red Route One and did shoot some or all of the shots. I think ILM reshot the elements using there 12' wire rig model. They also repainted the RO and added tiles to it. We had two scales of the dsrv, 1:32 or 1:35th and 1:8th I think, its been 18 years so Im really taxing my memory trying to recall the info. The smaller one was built to attach to the LA class sub that was at the same scale. And the larger one was used for close ups an docking to the RO. The prop turned, the steering ring moved in all directions and the search light on the front moved as well. All motion control by the way. The Akula class as I said in the other post was originally built to its true dimensions but the director had us shorten it. By the way this order came down after the model was complete so we had to cut the 6 inches of hull out of the finished model and put it back together. The conning tower and propeller for the LA class was built by a retired navel intelligence officer who loved building models. They were so accurate that when a rep from the navel dept. visted the shop and saw them he made us change the design before we could use them. We also had all of the sonar absorbtion tiles on the model but again he asked us to change the number of tiles so we had to go back on the casting and patch every other line. The funny part is he asked how we got the info, and we said we found it in magazine articles and books. He was a bit supprised.

The reason ILM was given the work.
At the time the director wanted the ocean to look like it was full of bioluminescent bacteria and as the subs passed through it would glow. Some of the early tests looked like a drug hallucination from jemi hendrix point of view. We all looked at this in the screening room and wondered what the hell the director was thinking. The really sad part is that when the studio saw some of the tests they freaked and asked the director what we were doing. Rather than tell them we were doing as he asked he told them he didnt know why we did this and it was not what he asked for. This gave certain executives who were pro ILM the chance to push for the show to be yanked from Boss. It was a sad day when 2 Paramount 40' tractor trailers showed up to pick up the models. All we could do was load them and walk away. Its a bummer that ILM got the credit for the show but it was in no way their fault. They were just doing there jobs too, and I think they did great work. I have tremendous respect for those guys and they are colleagues so there was never any frustration or anger towards them.

As an aside to anyone here who has worked on a film: Yes, we are interested in your work. No matter how tedious or aggravating the job was, even if it ended up getting cut in editing or if the movie bombed, you have fans somewhere. We love to hear your stories and see your work.[/b]

Well thank you for your kind words. There are alot of talented people in this forum and they should be proud of the work they are doing.

All the best,

Minieffects.

ps. you can see a teaser of some work Im doing currently for a limited run collectors kit with a colleauge of mine. see here

http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=...hl=power+loader

The RO is looking great.

I'll be honest.... HFRO is one of the very few movies I can watch over and over. I flip on the TV on a weekend and it's on, and I'll sit and watch it no matter how many times I've seen it already. I often quote it to my brother for no reason with "Ryan, shum thingsh in here don't react too well to bulletsh". :D

Fantastic stories Minieffects... Intersting about the changes called for in response to security issues.

I just watched a featurette on the making of Jewel of the Nile (I know - not a great film), where they asked either the Air Force or McDonnel Douglas for blue prints of the F-16. They were declined so the art department head just scaled up a plastic model kit. They claimed that the Isrealis caught the full scale mock up on satellite, and raised a bit of a fuss about it!

The Red October model looks great Hotshot!

Last edited:
Hey thanks everyone for the kind words. I wish I could take the credit for all of it but there were about 15 to 20 of us working on the subs.

here are some pics I dug up of the alpha class

enjoy ,
minieffects

alpha013ye3.jpg

alpha001xd6.jpg

alpha006ky3.jpg

alpha010is4.jpg

alpha015wi8.jpg

alpha012uz5.jpg

AHH YES. YOU ARE CORRECT. See its just been to damn long. I havent thought about this show in 18 years so forgive me, and thanks for the correction.

minieffects

Well, I'm in the home stretch, and I'm really starting to get excited.

The front catipillar doors are ready for detailing, as is the rear "exhaust". The conng tower needs some detailing, but so far, I'm in love with it. Same goes for the tail and sonar boom. The ballast vents have been added along the hull, as have the rear oval shaped vents. I added greeblies under neath the hull, and the two releif tanks on each side. I've puttied up the tail for a more accurate dive plane, and have added the stabilizers up front. With only minor details left to build, AW Studios is very happy to let y'all know an interest thread will start for this model over the weekend, with much sharper photos of the finshed master. Price has been set at $80.00 + S&H. Details on kit makeup and part numbers, etc. will be posted in the interest thread.

I'll be keeping the thread going when she goes into silicone, as well as afterwards, giving her a proper ILM paint job (tiling, weathering, etc.) I'll also be showing off the cooler aspect of the base; you can rig multiple "poses" of the model, and include the smaller sub kits out there on the base. We may even throw a torpedo in there.

I'd just like to give huge shout-outs to PHArchivist and Minieffects for all their help, cause if you two hadn't shown up, I'd be building a ridiculous looking Red October.

Enjoy.

ro1vn5.jpg

ro2mk8.jpg

Small update;

the conign tower has been reduced, and the catipillar drive detailing has been finished. All that need to be done is the propellers, and then we'll be ready to take orders.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back