Durrett's 2014 model contest entry

Durrett

Hey, this is my contest entry thread. I haven't been on the RPF much this year because I had a daughter (!) and I am gettiing itchy to scratchbuild something. I thought I might scratchbuild an idea I've wanted to do for a while, a companion shuttle to the Narcissus from Alien based on Ron Cobb's concept sketch. I did a sketch (below) a little before Prometheus came out intending to start building it, but sort of lost steam after seeing the movie. In the Nostromo blueprints the other shuttle is called te Salmacis, so let's go with that. I don't know how experienced I am, but I've been scratchbuilding spaceships and junk my whole life. I don't have a lot of time, so I better hussle.

contest1.jpg
Obligatory contest entry photo

cobbb3.jpg
Ron Cobb's Narcissus concept sketch

salmacis.jpg
My sketch for what the front might look like

Thanks! So I took the basic plan for the Narcissus and smooshed it a bit. The Cobb drawing looks a bit shorter and chubbier, but like it might be able to dock in the same bay.
narc small.jpg

Attachments

• narc small2.jpg
    narc small2.jpg
    751.6 KB · Views: 136
Built an engine yesterday. I'm going to attempt to mold it so I don't have to build 3 identical ones using a plastic cup and some silicone, well see how it goes. Also working up some greeblies.

Eng 1.jpg

Got to put in some time on the body this weekend, it's starting to look like something. The engines came out of the molds with a lot of pitting, and by the third pull the mold was looking pretty rough, glad I don't have to do any more.I think next time it would be good to do a two part mold that wasn't so tall.

Cleaned up.jpg

Thanks Mike! So in the Cobb sketch it has a bit less detail than the screen version, and I am going to be pretty faithful to that, but the underside will probably have a fair bit since I get to make it up. Here is a quick shot of some detail work on the back end. A bit of surface pitting on the cast engines, but it's all coming together. Slowly.

Back Detail.jpg

If you wanted to, you could add a lot of 'low visibility' stencils and markings via decals... Things to faint or too small to 'show up' in the sketches... If you were so inclined...

Progress looks good.

Didn't get much done this week. My daughter brought home her first flu from daycare, and it has been persistent. Going to try and get this thing done. I did find another, possibly reworked sketch by Cobb with more detail. Might make some last minute changes if there is time.

Cobb.jpg

Last edited:
salprep3.jpg

And...done

salprep4.jpg

Anyone know a good trick for printing white decals? Kerning waterslide lettering was a pain in the ass.

salprep6.jpg

salprep5.jpg

salprep7.jpg

I'm going to upload some more pictures tomorrow, I am very sleepy and just wanted to show that I was done. Thanks for looking!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back