1/350 NX-01, yet another build but dont get too excited!

Re-doing the top deck as i wasn't happy with the aztec pattern. It had faded a lot and even had bits missing in places. This process isn't perfect but it does give a decent result; making the stencils is the time consuming part, oh and the masking too. Painting takes seconds but it was worth the wait. I have the lower section to do tomorrow but i already have the stencils cut for that so i should be Ok. Then decals....................

Thanks Ranger, much appreciated. :)

I am also new to building models my self and I am just starting to learn my self as I just ordered the Polar Lights 1/350 Star Trek U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-A POL808 and Trek Modeler's Lighting kit for it so this will be a real exxperience for me to build something I have never done before,If you do not mind me asking what type of glue did you use to hold all your parts together,I was thinking of using super glue vs just regular model glue I heard it is a lot stronger glue vs the regular model glue.

Ranger, i use a mix of general modelling glue and super glue. It depends what i have to stick and how awkward i think it might be. I did all of the lighting myself as i think the custom built kits are a bit expensive and it adds to the fun. Snowbuilder the Aztecs are masks i downloaded from the net and turned into stencils using a Cricut die cutting machine. it'snot quite as straight forward as it sounds but at least i didn't have to cut them out myself! Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Well again i'm still not happy with it so i have decided i'm going to do some weathering over the top of them, just to fade them out that little bit more. I guess polarizing those hull plates every 5 minutes must have some detrimental effect :) Starting on the decals tomorrow hopefully so she should really start coming to life.

Ranger, i use a mix of general modelling glue and super glue. It depends what i have to stick and how awkward i think it might be. I did all of the lighting myself as i think the custom built kits are a bit expensive and it adds to the fun. Snowbuilder the Aztecs are masks i downloaded from the net and turned into stencils using a Cricut die cutting machine. it'snot quite as straight forward as it sounds but at least i didn't have to cut them out myself! Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

Thanks,I am also going to do some Aztecs work myself on my kit I am just not 100% sure what Aztecs kit I get for mine,I like to get something that is pretty much straight forward meaning I like to get some that are pretty much fitted for the 1/350 Star Trek Enterprise so I can just place them in place for painting if I can find the right Aztecs my self..

You kit really looks good I just hope I can do my kit as good as you did yours..

Thanks kalarcana, the comments are much appreciated. So now we have the makings of a base; its going to be dark blue with gold trim to represent the uniforms on Enterprise. We also have some decals too. There are hundreds of tiny ones to do but ill leave those until last! These will do until tomorrow when ill finish the underside so that i can work out how i am going to mount this thing to the base!

jimpeachey That is looking really good,I like the new stand your making you have definitely inspire me to make a nice stand for my Polar Lights 1/350 Scale U.S.S Enterprise NCC-1701-A kit when I get it sometime this week..

So I need to wait for all my stuff I ordered to come including my light kit from Trek Modeler's 6 to 8 weeks(long time to wait) and a lot of other supplies I need to get since I am very new to building models..so I have plenty of time to work on other things like getting all the stuff I need to get into model building..

Keep up the great job I will be watching your project to give me idea's on my project once I start it..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words ranger. It's really not too difficult to build your own lighting kit, i do all mine myself and believe me i am no expert! There is plenty of reference material online and with just some LED and a basic power supply it is really not that hard.

Thanks for the kind words ranger. It's really not too difficult to build your own lighting kit, i do all mine myself and believe me i am no expert! There is plenty of reference material online and with just some LED and a basic power supply it is really not that hard.

Thank You I have been doing a lot of video research so when I start my kits I will not be totally blind to what I going to do..

@ jimpeachey,I like your kit so much I had to go ahead and order one just like yours for myself with a bunch more models today..I will have my work cut out for me I think I have around 10 or 12 models in all I think it will keep me occupied for a long time,lol..All ranging between Star Trek,Battlestar Galactica and Star Wars..

When you see comments like this on the instruction sheet you just know it is not going to be the best night you have ever had! Armed with the trusty decal tools i set myself to work. Not too many left but with eyes as old as mine as i was never going to get it done in one sitting. Roll on tomorrow. Note the Aztec doesn't look quite so good this close up.

Man I can see what you mean even I would have a hard time seeing those to apply to the saucer section,if I may ask what do they mean by( In 102 Locations around saucers Bottom)?

Is that mean there a 102 of those little decals?

yes, 102 of those ones and more to go on the upper saucer, 80 i think. There are numerous slightly bigger and smaller ones also but i am not doing the top just yet. Once the bottom is done i am mounting here on the base and connecting the electronics, there is still some light blocking to do yet before i finish her off.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back