Star Trek SS Tholian Ship

Even though the thing was actually grey it looks gold on screen. Once displayed I may shine a red light on the thing once it's done, lol.

PDVD_014-2.jpg

I think Thomas did a great job on those. And the video is pretty cool, overall. They look a bit "stubby" when compared to the photos we've recently seen, but I cannot tell what's throwing it off - the side petals have a great profile, I'm wondering if the nose was just a bit short. But that's just picking at nits - his built & filmed one looks a lot better than the one I've barely drawn up :)

Yes, I've seen that build and I agree with blackbirdcd; a good effort. I think the Thomas models version suffers from a lack of reference material that has since surfaced. Good effort but some of the porportions are a little off but not bad at all.

Will

Well I roughed the shape and I'm pretty happy with the results. This thing is interesting because of all of the angles and tapers. Once I cut the parts it would have been almost impossible to tell which was which if I had not marked them first. Anyway, don't be too afraid by this photo. I just wanted to make sure the shape was right before I proceeded. I'll post some beauty shots when she is looking good.

Progresssmall.jpg

The petals or wings here are just hanging by a couple of aluminum dowels so that's why there looks to be a little play between the core area and the petals. Of course the finished version will be tight, lol

Last edited:
Thanks! Looking forward to getting some more work done on this jewel. No lights, no "mystery" areas, just a straight build; I love it!

DSC03109.jpg

No progress yet but for me it's a five-day "project" weekend, lol.

Will

Not much progress to report. Still have to shape the nose and add the back detail. No issues other then lack-of-time. Here is what she is looking like to date:

primedsmall.jpg

It will probably be a few weeks before I can focus and finish her up as I am working on a bunch of other stuff of which I have a deadline.

Will

I know it's been a while. I've been busy and have had a few medical issues (which has really sucked) but trying to get back into it. Here are a few progress shots.

DSC03608.jpg

This is the material I will be using for the little triangle areas:
DSC03609.jpg

DSC03606.jpg

This is kind of from the same vantage point:
PDVD_014-4.jpg

With coke can for scale:
DSC03610small.jpg

Last edited:
:eek wow your work NEVER Ceases to amaze me!! outstanding job my friend!!
hope you are doing / feeling better Will,
do take care of your self!!!! :thumbsup

Re: Star Trek Tholian Ship SS size?

Dude, didn't Rick C. own that at one time?

-Rylo

It is about 15 1/2 inches long IIRC. HMS had a casting of an original when I was back at MR and we were supposed to make a replica, but it got nixed.

You should be safe with 15 1/2 inches.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back