AT-AT Ron Progress and finished pics. (lotsa pics)

tk1608

Sr Member
Hi All

I wasn't sure if I should put this in the studio section or not, or add it to the AT-AT reference pic thread. Here goes anyway.
For those who don't know..it's a resin kit, about two feet long, slightly bigger than studio scale. I chose to modify it to hopefully make it a bit more accurate. However, Ron did a fantastic job with the kit in the first place and it can be built out of the box and still be an awesome replica.

This is more or less the starting point with new side panels added.
IMG_0780.jpg

These are the panels cut from styrene
c70bc95e.jpg

I added detail to the top rear panel using reference pics a friend took of his MR ATAT. In fact without his pics I wouldv'e been a bit stuck. They were great for the underside detailing and areas that you don't normally see.
IMG_0783.jpg

Below are various, either scratch built parts, or modified resin parts.
IMG_0833.jpg

d95d7ff6.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

Because the ATAT ron is bigger than studio scale, the saturn5, harrier and tamiya armoured car pieces wouldn't fit properly, so I had to add detail to match them on to the exhisting resin parts.
IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

It sits on this chassis, I tried to follow the design in the chronicals for this area.
IMG_0847.jpg

Finished pics ...
IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

It took months to get to this point and I've had a few headaches, but it's been great fun to do, and I've learnt a lot. It's the biggest and most difficult kit I've done. Great to see it finshed though.
I'd just like to thank Steve the Swede, although I don't know Steve personally, it was his skills among others that inspired me to have a go at building and modifying this kit.

It just needs a snowy base and maybe a snowspeeder dragging a cable now..

Hope you like it

Thanks for looking

Phil UK

Last edited:
Awesome job and an awesome kit, id love one, but man he looks a headache, and a heck of a price. Like the use of the rad duct hose on the neck, looks superb.

lee

Hey Lee, the rad hose wasn't my idea, I came across it here, I never would have thought to use that stuff for the neck. I think it was Natty15d that said what size would work. I love this board .
The chassis does allow articulation, and all the joints in the legs are allen bolts. It's limited though because I had to fix the foot/ankle pistons permanently to help support it.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Phil

Hey, Phil.

That's one of the nicest ATATrons I've ever seen. Fantastic job. :thumbsup As others have mentioned, I love the neck mods. I started on mine a couple of years ago and got sidetracked, and put it in storage. I'm gonna have to get back on it, you've inspired me. I may have to ask you for some tips if you don't mind. ;) Beautiful job.

Bill

Fantastic. Man, I never had the energy (or time) to actually go all the way thru with mine (still in a box) but you did it. This is a great documenet how wonderful an ATATRON kit can look if you have the skills to make the mods. The paint job looks stellar too. Once again, fantastic job.

Steve.

<div class='quotetop'>(Apophis @ Sep 26 2006, 12:27 AM) [snapback]1326227[/snapback]</div>
Maybe someone here can answer a stupid question, would the SMT AT-AT be considered studio scale? Just curious.
[/b]

Nope. It's considerably smaller.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back