Imperial Shuttle Tydirium

Hey Rich,
No apologies needed dude. You were definately the right man for the job ;-)

Just as a little teaser, here are some pics of the parts that were rejected by me when I made the patterns for the v2.....assembled into a "v1.5" shuttle as a one-off model for a collector in Japan. I had to scratch a new lower fuselage. The proportions are better than my v1.

The kit that Rich is now offering is different in many respects...with new and improved wings, fuselage, intakes, engines, guns and cockpit.

2672779.jpeg

2760277.jpeg

2737251.jpeg

2780194.jpeg

2799478.jpeg

I'm not sure how many parts yet, I should have a number soon.

Here's something I wanted to do but forgot, so I did it today.

I made the lower wing edge detail one piece, it'll make it much easier to build.

ss_ty_031.jpg

Its great to catch up on this project, I've only been way for a week or so but it feels like much has happened. Great great stuff Rich

Neil that build up is just incredible!

For those getting the kit, you'll need to buy 3/4" aluminum rod for the wing hinges, you can get that at Ace Hardware here in the states, get about a 2 foot length. You'll also need a dremel with a cutting wheel, preferably with a snake attachment, and a flat ******* file for the hinge openings, they're not open on the kit, so you'll have to cut them out and file them straight.

I'll start posting pics of the build up I'm doing tomorrow, my camera battery died today so I couldn't take any.

I'm going to start casting these now as fast as I can.

Neil, since yours looks exactly like the studio model, all I can do is hope to copy you. :lol

I'm starting the build now. To run the wiring from the lower wings, you'll have to drill a hole in the wing hinge, then through the aluminum tube, leavingt enough slack for the full rotation of the wings, so you'll have enough wire to run it into your power supply. I'm using a flasher circuit I got from James Roberts, the timing is perfect for the shuttle while watching ROTJ last night.
ss_ty_build_01.jpg

Since the main hull is rotocast, you'll have to cut an access panel in the top, don't worry, that will be covered up by the upper hull.
ss_ty_build_02.jpg

ss_ty_build_03.jpg

Last edited:
It took me 2 hours to snake the wiring for the lighting through the wings, holy crap. :lol

If you've ever tried to thread a shoelace with the end broken off, well this is 100 times worse.

That really is looking amazing. An object lesson in how to pattern and produce a top quality model. Respect!

N

Looking great!!!

This model is a real inspiration to anyone either making a studio scale anything or anyone considering building anything to be kitted.

So inspirational in fact that I've decided to go back to college to study modelmaking full time.

Can't wait to see the finished articles from everyone here!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back